October 20, 2014, 05:28:31 PM

Author Topic: 5D Markiii Auto Lighting Optimizer vs Highlight Tone Priority  (Read 11317 times)

lenstrack26

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Douglas C. Dooley, Photography
5D Markiii Auto Lighting Optimizer vs Highlight Tone Priority
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
Just received my MarkIII. Am curious if anyone has experimented with the two (apparently mutually exclusive settings) Auto Light Optimizer  vs Highlight Tone Priority?  I shoot exclusively in RAW. Are these two options helpful for a RAW shooter? If so, only in contrasty scenes?  Would HDR be more effective, either in camera or postproduction? Thanks for sharing your experience.  :D
EOS 3, Canon 10D, 5D Mark I, II, III, Canon 14 mm L, 24-105 L, 70-200 L, 100-400 L, 100 II L macro

canon rumors FORUM

5D Markiii Auto Lighting Optimizer vs Highlight Tone Priority
« on: October 24, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Markiii Auto Lighting Optimizer vs Highlight Tone Priority
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:26 PM »
Turn HTP Off! 
What it does in underexpose your image by one stop and then push it one stop during processing.  This is a sure fire way to get more noise in dark areas.  It might help in situations where there is a lot of bright areas in the image, because it helps to prevent overexposure.  This means that even RAW images are underexposed.
ALO does not affect the RAW files, but sets a flag that DPP recognizes.  You can leave it on or turn it off, it doesn't matter.

lenstrack26

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Douglas C. Dooley, Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 09:34:43 PM »
Thanks for your input!
EOS 3, Canon 10D, 5D Mark I, II, III, Canon 14 mm L, 24-105 L, 70-200 L, 100-400 L, 100 II L macro

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
Turn HTP Off! 
What it does in underexpose your image by one stop and then push it one stop during processing.  This is a sure fire way to get more noise in dark areas.  It might help in situations where there is a lot of bright areas in the image, because it helps to prevent overexposure.  This means that even RAW images are underexposed.
ALO does not affect the RAW files, but sets a flag that DPP recognizes.  You can leave it on or turn it off, it doesn't matter.

Is HTP the same as if one keept it turned off and just underexposed for one stop (shooting raw) and then brought up the shadows in Lightroom later on?
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
Is HTP the same as if one keept it turned off and just underexposed for one stop (shooting raw) and then brought up the shadows in Lightroom later on?

Same idea, different execution. You'd be better off with the latter.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »
I love this forum... Just searched it seeking answers to the same questions!

Thanks for the info, helped me too!:)
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »
I personally find that the sensor int he 5d3 and with newer cameras int he market are already good enough and really don't require HTP or ALO to "fix" any image..I belive with both turned off, even if it's jpg or raw, you can still recover whatever is missing or overexposed during post production…and even if you don't do post production, the newer sensors gett he scene pretty much correct int he first place…maybe in the older sensors these 2 help but not so much necessary on the 5d3…i actually shoot my 5d3 with HTP/ALO/ISO NR etc..basically everything turned OFF and i also shoot with a flat profile…works well for me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »

Same idea, different execution. You'd be better off with the latter.

Ditto.  Been doing it this way for years when necc.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
Great explanation of these features.  I agree with all the others, I keep most of these features turned off and I try to hone my skill using Develop post work in Lightroom.  Other folks with more time and skill use Photoshop.  Others have promoted DXO and I may try this soon.  (I installed the trial and immediately realized it didn't yet support the 6D.  Waah.)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:02 PM »
All of those features are primarily for beginners who have not learned how to adjust exposures manually.  Using them does impact frame rates and buffer capacity due to the extra processing time required (not that it takes more buffer just that the image dwells in the buffer longer and doesn't get written until after processing has completed)

pardus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
HTP works really well with video, I don't use it for stills.
5D MkIII | 7D | Bag of Lenses | Surfboards | Truck | Wife | Son | Dog | House | Life

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
Wow! I've always shot with HTP on. I guess I just assumed it was better for weddings to have it since the bride is (almost) always wearing white. Very interesting. I might have to try shooting next week's wedding with it off for a change.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
It can be useful but does have an impact on drive mode frame rates.  I can see where it might be more useful with video than with stills.  If you do try it for a wedding, be mindful of blowing out highlights.  especially if you are used to shooting with it on all the time.  :)  It may/will increase your dynamic range.

Wow! I've always shot with HTP on. I guess I just assumed it was better for weddings to have it since the bride is (almost) always wearing white. Very interesting. I might have to try shooting next week's wedding with it off for a change.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 08:32:53 PM »
It can be useful but does have an impact on drive mode frame rates.  I can see where it might be more useful with video than with stills.  If you do try it for a wedding, be mindful of blowing out highlights.  especially if you are used to shooting with it on all the time.  :)  It may/will increase your dynamic range.

What HTP increasing dynamic range? Yeah, I normally don't go over on exposure. I'm normally upping levels even when I'm shooting +2/3-1 stop of compensation. You think it'd be wise to leave one camera with it on and one with off?
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »
HTP increases the DR if you shoot in JPG.  It underexposes by 1 stop of ISO, then lies about it in the metadata (that's why ISO 200 becomes the lowest setting - if you shoot at ISO 200 with HTP, the camera actually exposes at ISO 100). That 1-stop underexposure preserves a stop of highlights, the camera then applies a tone curve to boost everything but the highlights by 1 stop (meaning a stop more noise in the shadows).

If you shoot RAW, leave HTP off.  You then have latitude to preserve >1-stop of highlights, and can apply your own tone curve.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »