Specifications

* Focal Distance: 51.70

* Fno: 1.30

* Half angle of view: 22.79

* Image Height: 21.64

* Lens Length (mm): 98

* Back Focus (mm): 37.5

* Aspherical: 2

The current 50 f/1.4 , while a bargain, is definitely due for a replacement.
cr
Canon EF 50 f/1.4 $449 at B&H

7enderbender:
Any experts who are able to explain what the potential differences may be? To me this looks like the same design Canon had for the last 40 years - which I think is great by the way.

What is the thing marked as "Ggi 1"? And could it be that the lens element in the back is bigger?

So, anyway - what ever they'll do I hope it'll be better mechanically.

Justin:

--- Quote from: 7enderbender on May 25, 2011, 09:45:11 AM ---Any experts who are able to explain what the potential differences may be? To me this looks like the same design Canon had for the last 40 years - which I think is great by the way.

What is the thing marked as "Ggi 1"? And could it be that the lens element in the back is bigger?

So, anyway - what ever they'll do I hope it'll be better mechanically.

--- End quote ---

usm?

Darkwand:
The 50mm f/1.4 is in stock at like 1 store in Sweden at the moment.

A theory is that the production line got hit by the tsunami and a factory that produces components for the older lenses got hit. Therefore instead or rebuilding an out of date production line Canon redesigns their older lenses to use newer parts. This would with the patent for the 24mm f/2.8 as well.

anthony11:
I wonder, though, if the EF non-L primes sell enough these days for Canon to feel that a redesign and everything associated with a new product is warranted.  In recent years there seems to have been a pattern of letting non-L primes wither.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version