Gear Talk > Third Party Manufacturers

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8

(1/9) > >>

joshmurrah:

I dug through the forums here, and I didn't see a dedicated thread (there was some good info in the 12-24mm thread tho).

I'm looking into this lens mostly for astrophotography, so I can shoot a wide view of night skies, milky way mostly.

I tried this out with my 24-105 for the meteor shower last weekend, and found that I need something faster, and something wider, so the Rokinon seems to satisfy both of these needs.

I have two big questions:

1)  does anyone have any experience shooting at infinity @ f/2.8 with this lens, does it have a fairly flat field of focus?
2)  Has anyone had experiencing correcting the strong distortion in ACR 7?  Is there a profile for a FF camera plus this lens in it that works well?

And of course, any general opinions about this lens would be great.

Thanks in advance!!

extremeinstability:
Number 2 first, I found one I believe in here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html#resources  In the profile downloader area.  There was just one for the lens.  In the profile list I think it was listed as canon and not samyang/rokinon/etc.  Works great to remove the crazy distortion.   There so much resolution everything is still highly sharp after the correction. 

I haven't tried the Milky Way yet as the real good parts aren't high up now.  I wonder how well it will work as there is a lot of vignetting and light loss at F2.8.  May not matter given the brighter parts of the Milky Way get put in the middle.  It just has a way of not feeling like F2.8 I guess. 

Edge to edge is pretty sharp at F2.8 infinity.  It doesn't seem you even gain much more sharpness by stopping down than from where it starts at.  But I haven't used this lens all that much yet.  And my new/used 5D II also has a flange to sensor plane difference that needs fixed, but even on that it's good to go. 

Brand B:
I bought one a couple of weeks ago and shot some various test shots with it (5DIII) prior to leaving on a trip, and got pretty good sharpness, but I concentrated on F5.6.  Have not had a chance to do much with it at 2.8.  I shot some night shots, but there is so much light pollution where I live they were't worth keeping, not a hint of the Milky Way.

I bought PTLens and am correcting the distortion externally that way, but I use Aperture.  It has a plugin for LR and PS, but not for ACR.  It does correct the distortion quite well though.

I hope to do some shooting with it this weekend, and will post more conclusions.

tron:

--- Quote from: extremeinstability on October 25, 2012, 10:01:18 AM ---Number 2 first, I found one I believe in here:  http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html#resources  In the profile downloader area.  There was just one for the lens.  In the profile list I think it was listed as canon and not samyang/rokinon/etc.  Works great to remove the crazy distortion.   There so much resolution everything is still highly sharp after the correction. 

I haven't tried the Milky Way yet as the real good parts aren't high up now.  I wonder how well it will work as there is a lot of vignetting and light loss at F2.8.  May not matter given the brighter parts of the Milky Way get put in the middle.  It just has a way of not feeling like F2.8 I guess. 

Edge to edge is pretty sharp at F2.8 infinity.  It doesn't seem you even gain much more sharpness by stopping down than from where it starts at.  But I haven't used this lens all that much yet.  And my new/used 5D II also has a flange to sensor plane difference that needs fixed, but even on that it's good to go.

--- End quote ---
Can you please get a picture of the night sky with the lens fully open and see how the stars show at the corners? If the lens has coma (which even Canon L lenses have fully open) they will look like ... seagulls!

Brand B:
FYI, price drop to $359 at B&H for this lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sub=cpw&is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=769532

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version