Gear Talk > Third Party Manufacturers

Rokinon 14mm f/2.8

<< < (2/9) > >>

joshmurrah:
Price is the same at amazon (I imagine one of these two is matching the other).

extremeinstability:

--- Quote from: tron on October 29, 2012, 07:34:54 AM ---
Can you please get a picture of the night sky with the lens fully open and see how the stars show at the corners? If the lens has coma (which even Canon L lenses have fully open) they will look like ... seagulls!

--- End quote ---

I can but I have to be motivated enough to drag it out after dark lol.  I should have tested it for that before when I was testing all the other lenses.  I think I can chalk that up to not counting on this to be much of a night sky lens due to all the light fall off/vignetting.  I suspect there's enough vignetting at f2.8 with this lens that it will be hard to get bad coma issues with stars.  But now I am curious what the distortion would do to a star trail lol.  Anyway, I just kinda doubt the issue will be coma on a night sky with it F2.8 and as much vignetting as there is there(it's more than the 14L II...which also has winged stars/coma I guess).  I have to send my 5D II in to fix the mount to sensor plane issue, which might happen today, so it'd likely be after that returns. 

tron:

--- Quote from: extremeinstability on October 31, 2012, 10:42:14 AM ---
--- Quote from: tron on October 29, 2012, 07:34:54 AM ---
Can you please get a picture of the night sky with the lens fully open and see how the stars show at the corners? If the lens has coma (which even Canon L lenses have fully open) they will look like ... seagulls!

--- End quote ---

I can but I have to be motivated enough to drag it out after dark lol.  I should have tested it for that before when I was testing all the other lenses.  I think I can chalk that up to not counting on this to be much of a night sky lens due to all the light fall off/vignetting.  I suspect there's enough vignetting at f2.8 with this lens that it will be hard to get bad coma issues with stars.  But now I am curious what the distortion would do to a star trail lol.  Anyway, I just kinda doubt the issue will be coma on a night sky with it F2.8 and as much vignetting as there is there(it's more than the 14L II...which also has winged stars/coma I guess).  I have to send my 5D II in to fix the mount to sensor plane issue, which might happen today, so it'd likely be after that returns.

--- End quote ---
Thanks anyway! Even the vignetting information is useful. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a "free lunch". I' ll check vignetting in photozone.de and the-digital-picture.com

cayenne:

--- Quote from: Brand B on October 31, 2012, 03:18:30 AM ---FYI, price drop to $359 at B&H for this lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sub=cpw&is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=769532

--- End quote ---

Aside from the obvious price difference..how does this lens stack up to the Cannon 14MM?

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Ultra-Wide-Angle-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000V5P94Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351707415&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+14mm

The description for the cannon says it is "corrected for rectilinear distortion"....is the other lens?

Can someone give me a good definition (noob level) for what rectilinear distortion is? I'm guessing that is something to do with correcting fish eye lens looks?

Anyway, can someone compare on these? I was looking at the Canon...to mess with, but if this cheaper one is in the ballpark, might be a quicker way to play with a very ultra-wide lens...

I'd also seen some non-cannon, I think a Samyang (sp?) what was a 8mm?

cayenne

Drizzt321:

--- Quote from: Brand B on October 31, 2012, 03:18:30 AM ---FYI, price drop to $359 at B&H for this lens:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sub=cpw&is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=769532

--- End quote ---

Holy crap that's tempting right now. Just got a couple of vintage m42 lenses off of ebay...so I'm going to avoid spending more money on lenses, even one this inexpensive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version