August 01, 2014, 09:58:27 AM

Author Topic: Phottix Odin: Inaccuate high-ISO metering problem  (Read 7561 times)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Phottix Odin: Inaccuate high-ISO metering problem
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »
I love the tones created on the station wagon's left side because the darker reflection stops at the chrome trim line. Also no lightsource reflection on car side. Local airport, looks like. Borrow an old funky Cessna to see the styling overlaps?

...just got my Odins. no chance to use yet. Might make my dirty pickup truck the first subject, or better yet convince my neighbor to take out his late forties International pickup. I expect that one reason you don't shoot in fields is the shadows of grass or other artifact of "nature".

Got one 550EX unit and will get back to adding more. Still a believer in putting the $$ saved  (vs. 600's) into other gear.
jonathan7007

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »
The wagon was shot right outside a police station. I had the owner smoke the tires earlier in the afternoon, and the officers didn't even come out to say hello :) It's definitely more an exception than the rule.

It's easy enough to work around the reflections you'd get from shooting on grass or in a field, but my reason for not doing so is more simple. People drive cars on pavement, so I like to capture them in their natural environment. Of course, if the subject is a truck or off-road vehicle, it makes sense to shoot them off road.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2013, 02:19:47 AM »
Yeah, I see the "context" choice. Makes sense. I was imagining more a *shadow* problem from vegetation because you often place lights low, but yes, there's the reflection issues caused whenever there's a shiny object in a shot... like a car!

This wagon looks like it's coiled for a leap. Lowered and all.

Your shots inspired me to hand my card to a guy driving a bright red, beautifully-restored Chevy 42 pickup --  bringing his greenwaste to the recycle operation here on our island. Told him I had just decided earlier today to start shooting great cars and I considered it a good omen I had run into such a good vehicle within a couple hours of such a decision. Amazing that he uses it for hauling brush, although, how cool is that? The original farm owner would be proud that it still does honest work.

Part of the reason is that I like fun lighting challenges. Unless you open an office out here in the middle of the Pacific we won't be competing. Keep up the good work back there on the mainland.

jonathan7007
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:11:11 PM by jonathan7007 »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 03:55:11 AM »
More love for the Odins. Strongly back-lit subjects always threw the infrared Canon flash triggering off, but with the Odins, shooting straight into the sun is no problem.

This is far from a great shot, but I love the convenience of being able to adjust the backlight and fill in groups independently, right at the camera, without having to manually re-adjust the flashes. It's a great way to make an otherwise boring shot not quite as boring :)

The light really lifts the image, care to share your setup for this shot, number of lights and what sorts of modifiers do you use?

The reason I ask is because I saw some similar types of shots and it was listed as bare bulb flash, and I couldn't work how one gets soft light from a small bare buld speedlite (unless bounced at least)
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 06:17:15 PM »
Yeah, I see the "context" choice. Makes sense. I was imagining more a *shadow* problem from vegetation because you often place lights low, but yes, there's the reflection issues caused whenever there's a shiny object in a shot... like a car!

This wagon looks like it's coiled for a leap. Lowered and all.

Your shots inspired me to hand my card to a guy driving a bright red, beautifully-restored Chevy 42 pickup --  bringing his greenwaste to the recycle operation here on our island. Told him I had just decided earlier today to start shooting great cars and I considered it a good omen I had run into such a good vehicle within a couple hours of such a decision. Amazing that he uses it for hauling brush, although, how cool is that? The original farm owner would be proud that it still does honest work.

Part of the reason is that I like fun lighting challenges. Unless you open an office out here in the middle of the Pacific we won't be competing. Keep up the good work back there on the mainland.

jonathan7007

That's great to hear. Our man wickidwombat also started shooting cars and has already produced some great work. Be sure to share with us as the automotive gigs roll in.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 06:32:20 PM »
The light really lifts the image, care to share your setup for this shot, number of lights and what sorts of modifiers do you use?

The reason I ask is because I saw some similar types of shots and it was listed as bare bulb flash, and I couldn't work how one gets soft light from a small bare buld speedlite (unless bounced at least)

No light modifiers were used in either shot, not even the flappy doohickey built into the Speedlight. Just by angling and positioning the flashes just right, you can get some surprisingly soft light from them even when they're pointed at metal. Of course, the light would be softer still by bouncing it off a reflector or using a softbox, but that can yield light that's too flat for my liking. That approach can still net very pleasing results if you opt for a more aggressive contrast curve in post, but it wasn't the look I was going for. There's also quite a bit of ambient light in both shots. The flashes primarily serve as accent and fill light, more so for the second shot than the first one.

The light from the flashes looks deceivingly soft in the overall shot of the car because some hot spots were removed in post. In the shot of the plane/hood ornament, there's a backlight to right of the plane's right wing, angled toward the center of the plane, and a fill light pointed at the plane's left wing. I forget the exact ratio, but I want to say that the backlight was set to put out twice the output as the fill light. If I turned off the fill, the shadow would have been much harsher, thereby making the light look harsher as well. Turn off the backlight while keeping the fill on, and the image would look flat and boring as hell, which is a bad thing when the subject isn't that interesting to begin with :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 06:39:42 PM by V8Beast »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
Thanks a lot!  :)
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
No prob. All it takes is practice, and the great thing about digital is that practicing is free.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »