April 18, 2014, 08:13:18 AM

Author Topic: Canon Can't Even Make a Billion Dollars Anymore  (Read 20521 times)

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Can't Even Make a Billion Dollars Anymore
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »
Some of Canon's problem is the world economy...but much of it has to do with the RIDICULOUS prices that Canon is attaching to MANY of their products. WAY out of line with their competitors.  I feel some massive rebates coming on sometime soon...I for one am buying NOTHING Canon until the company gets real...I bought a 5DIii 4 months ago...and now see it online for $700 less than I paid for it? Canon....that is insulting to your customers. I expect the price to drop...but nothing like this. Also delivering products that are far below their hardware capabilities and having hackers embarrassingly shoewng your own firmware ????
Everyone...let's do a Canon boycott for 6 months...right thru the holidays and bring this arrogant behaving company to its knees!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2012, 08:17:10 PM »
Some of Canon's problem is the world economy...but much of it has to do with the RIDICULOUS prices that Canon is attaching to MANY of their products. WAY out of line with their competitors.  I feel some massive rebates coming on sometime soon...I for one am buying NOTHING Canon until the company gets real...I bought a 5DIii 4 months ago...and now see it online for $700 less than I paid for it? Canon....that is insulting to your customers. I expect the price to drop...but nothing like this. Also delivering products that are far below their hardware capabilities and having hackers embarrassingly shoewng your own firmware ????
Everyone...let's do a Canon boycott for 6 months...right thru the holidays and bring this arrogant behaving company to its knees!

These price drops may not be good for early adopters.  That's why patience is always a virtue.  But you had enjoyed your camera 4 months earlier than the rest of us.  Right? :)

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »
Average Joe's are slowly using their smartphones now and dont even buy film or P&S anymore.

Slowly? You used film and smartphone in the same sentence! 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2012, 09:58:51 PM »
I can't remember the last time I saw someone using a point and shoot camera; it's always a smartphone.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:18 PM »
Well, 6D is not gonna help any with the earnings once it is released. It is Canon's effort to pack the midrange with multiple bodies in the hopes that the buckshot approach covers that segment... all this results in lack luster bodies that don't necessarily stand out of the pack. 

I think 6D will have steeper price drops than 5D3 within months following release.  To expect otherwise given the high introductory price for this body is being overly optimistic. The added features may appeal to fanboys, but not to an average Joe who is not tied to the brand.

So expect Canon to turn out yet another poor financial report card in the next quater.  The price drops in 5D3 are no coincidence...the demand is poorer than anticipated in the mass market. Canon still has one thing going for it....the lenses. But they can't ride that horse for ever. They will have to make bold moves. Bolder than 6D.
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

Pag

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »
Of course the world economy isn't doing too great, and the yen gained a lot of value. Both things have a big effect on corporations. Still, I think one of the big problems of Canon and Nikon is that digital cameras are now mature technology. The 5D MkII introduced video 4 years ago, which was the last big change for SLRs. Since then, we've only seen incremental upgrades. If you don't care about video -- and many photographers don't -- then the last big change is even older than that.

Any mid-range SLR or better that's 4 years old or less can take great picture in a broad array of conditions. Even my old 50D is good enough in the great majority of situations. There have been some improvements, of course, but nothing revolutionary. I don't own a 5D MkIII, but looking at specs and reviews I can't even think of a good reason why I would ever upgrade once I got one. The complaints I read on these boards are quite nitpicky and I can't see myself spending thousands of dollars just so I get lit focus points, enough pixels to compete with medium format cameras, or a stop or two of additional dynamic range at iso 100.

Canon and Nikon need to start innovating, or their customers will stop upgrading their cameras because what they have is good enough. The pace of evolution is a lot faster in the realm of cellphone cameras and m43 cameras are competing more and more with SLRs. If I was an executive at Canon and Nikon, I'd be nervous about what the future holds...

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »
Well, 6D is not gonna help any with the earnings once it is released. It is Canon's effort to pack the midrange with multiple bodies in the hopes that the buckshot approach covers that segment... all this results in lack luster bodies that don't necessarily stand out of the pack. 

I think 6D will have steeper price drops than 5D3 within months following release.  To expect otherwise given the high introductory price for this body is being overly optimistic. The added features may appeal to fanboys, but not to an average Joe who is not tied to the brand.

So expect Canon to turn out yet another poor financial report card in the next quater.  The price drops in 5D3 are no coincidence...the demand is poorer than anticipated in the mass market. Canon still has one thing going for it....the lenses. But they can't ride that horse for ever. They will have to make bold moves. Bolder than 6D.

But not as bold as barbecue sauce  ;)
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »

trygved

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Youngblood Photography
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »

It is difficult for Canon to make a bold move with the 6D like it did with the 5DII, as it has to play nice with its more sophisticated bigger brother.
I can see the 7DII having the leg room to make a strong impression (although the current 7D still holds its weight) as Canon will not have as many concerns about it cannibalizing another camera in the lineup.

To make a splash the way the 5DII did, I would imagine the Canon video dept would have to drop a bomb of an announcement. The C300 & C100 are exciting to a degree, but the price point makes it hard to pine over. Given Black Magic's ambitious foray into the segment (with its many shortcomings), I believe Canon could make the biggest waves here.

Just my ¢¢ + a little wishful thinking.  :P
FUJI X100S

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2012, 12:46:41 AM »
I can't remember the last time I saw someone using a point and shoot camera; it's always a smartphone.

I must admit, I'm almost tempted getting a smartphone instead but when somebody sold me his G11 @ $150, pristine with only 3.5K actuations, I can't say no to it.  Instead I bought a very simple phone to go with my G11.  My G11 is almost always with me wherever we go, safely tucked in my belt bag and ready for action.  I've also included a very small $1 tripod to go with it for those long exposure shots.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:53:45 AM by verysimplejason »

lopicma

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Google+ Page
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2012, 02:01:11 AM »
I have heard that sales of Compact System Cameras is big in Asia, and that can't be helping. 

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 02:08:57 AM »
I know how they can make some money.....start delivering all of the 500 and 600mm lenses that have been ordered in this country! ;)

hutjeflut

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
its not strange this was expected to be honest.

way higher prices most new bodies and lenses went up 50% in price compared to 2009.
there is a global crisis , the dslr market is saturated.
and the need for body upgrades reduces because even a body out 2009 can make great photo's where before there was a lot to wish for in digital dslr's now they are a grown up product with all the bells and whisles.

they need to lower there price and make there products more widely available instead of raise prices and make it impossible to buy new lenses for the avrage guy.

i wil not and cannot ever pay 2150 euros (2800 dollar) for a 70-200 2,8 IS as i only have a income of 915 euros a month...
so no matter how much i like all canon gear they are just stupidly expencive.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
...It is difficult for Canon to make a bold move with the 6D like it did with the 5DII, as it has to play nice with its more sophisticated bigger brother...

Probably true although the gap between them seems huge.  Canon certainly could have made the 6D much more attractive and appealing to a larger consumer group with adequate AF, 100% VF, CF card, and 7D/5D ergo.  IMO, Canon has deprived themselves from 6D sales due to the specs.  I for one was a potential consumer until the specs came out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 12:05:17 PM »
Canon certainly could have made the 6D much more attractive and appealing to a larger consumer group with adequate AF, 100% VF, CF card, and 7D/5D ergo.  IMO, Canon has deprived themselves from 6D sales due to the specs.  I for one was a potential consumer until the specs came out.

Now you have the option to help a poor :o, suffering ::) Japanese company down on its luck in a weak economy :'( by spending some $$$ on a 5D Mark III. Show some support for a suffering company!  8) See shown financial results ...

Just kidding ...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »
...It is difficult for Canon to make a bold move with the 6D like it did with the 5DII, as it has to play nice with its more sophisticated bigger brother...

Probably true although the gap between them seems huge.  Canon certainly could have made the 6D much more attractive and appealing to a larger consumer group with adequate AF, 100% VF, CF card, and 7D/5D ergo.  IMO, Canon has deprived themselves from 6D sales due to the specs.  I for one was a potential consumer until the specs came out.

If you want/need great AF, 100% VF, CF card, and 7D/5D ergo, Canon wants you to buy a 5DIII.  They are good at up-marketing. 50D users were pushed to the 7D vs. the 60D in the same way.  I think the 6D is targeted at xxxD/60D owners, not 7D/5DII owners, in terms of an upgrade.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »