September 20, 2014, 06:13:17 PM

Author Topic: New Canon Lenses Availability - Updated  (Read 13023 times)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: New Canon Lenses Availability - Update
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »
So why wasn't the 200-400 included in the announcement? I too want to know more about the lens.

The 200-400mm L does not officially exist, only a photo of a model and a statement that it was under development.  When it is ready, then they will officially announce it.  It might be available late next year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 11:50:44 AM »

Justin

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:13 PM »
So why wasn't the 200-400 included in the announcement? I too want to know more about the lens.

The 200-400mm L does not officially exist, only a photo of a model and a statement that it was under development.  When it is ready, then they will officially announce it.  It might be available late next year.

So far in the past year every single lens that has been announced has not be ready, in other words they are all in development.

From dpreview: CP+ 2011: Canon has announced it is developing the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens, which features a built-in switchable 1.4x teleconverter. With the converter engaged, it becomes a 280-560mm F5.6 lens. Designed for sports and wildlife photographers the lens will feature weatherproof construction and is scheduled for launch later this year.

So Canon made a statement about when it was due and they have not updated that statement yet. I'm just pointing out that an update, if one is needed, would have been nice.

What makes you think "it might be available late next year"? Pure speculation if you ask me.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 02:24:59 PM »

So far in the past year every single lens that has been announced has not be ready, in other words they are all in development.

From dpreview: CP+ 2011: Canon has announced it is developing the EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x lens, which features a built-in switchable 1.4x teleconverter. With the converter engaged, it becomes a 280-560mm F5.6 lens. Designed for sports and wildlife photographers the lens will feature weatherproof construction and is scheduled for launch later this year.

So Canon made a statement about when it was due and they have not updated that statement yet. I'm just pointing out that an update, if one is needed, would have been nice.

What makes you think "it might be available late next year"? Pure speculation if you ask me.

Its a matter of terminology.  A launch is the official announcement of a product being ready or already in production. 

The launch announcement will usually, but not always give a availability date, usually 2-6 months after the launch if things go right.  So its just a guess, but if a launch is announced later this year, it certainly stands to reason that the availibility date will be some time after the launch which will be into 2012.

As for the other lenses you mentioned, they did have launch announcements, but they later announced production problems, and then the earthquake stopped production, so that is a totally different situation and isn't comparable with a development announcement which just means they are expecting to successfully build and test some prototypes and maybe tweak the design until they decide it is ready for production.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »
The launch announcement will usually, but not always give a availability date, usually 2-6 months after the launch if things go right.  So its just a guess, but if a launch is announced later this year, it certainly stands to reason that the availability date will be some time after the launch which will be into 2012.

I suddenly appreciate Apple's policy of not announcing anything until it's pretty much ready for market.  Not actually faulting Canon here, but it makes product hype and excitement more meaningful . . .

Yes, I'm still whining about the fish-eye.

No, I can't afford it.

No, that hasn't stopped me from purchasing anything else.   ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 05:24:16 PM »
The launch announcement will usually, but not always give a availability date, usually 2-6 months after the launch if things go right.  So its just a guess, but if a launch is announced later this year, it certainly stands to reason that the availability date will be some time after the launch which will be into 2012.

I suddenly appreciate Apple's policy of not announcing anything until it's pretty much ready for market.  Not actually faulting Canon here, but it makes product hype and excitement more meaningful . . .

No, I can't afford it.

I'm with you there,  I prefer to have new equipment announcements made only when a product is in production and shipping in 2 months or less.  Sigma sometimes announces products a year in advance, and, occasionally, they do not appear at all.

I hope Canon stops doing this, it causes more confusion than it helps.  Some people have posted that they sold equipment, expecting prompt arrival of the new lenses.  This had to frustrate them.

This site publishes rumors, they should be taken as for fun and discussion, but a photographer should not use rumors to influences his purchases.  some rumors have been going for years.  The 5D MK II was rumored for over a year in advance of its launch announcement.

Bob Howland

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »

No, I can't afford it.

I'm with you there,  I prefer to have new equipment announcements made only when a product is in production and shipping in 2 months or less.  Sigma sometimes announces products a year in advance, and, occasionally, they do not appear at all.

I hope Canon stops doing this, it causes more confusion than it helps.  Some people have posted that they sold equipment, expecting prompt arrival of the new lenses.  This had to frustrate them.

This site publishes rumors, they should be taken as for fun and discussion, but a photographer should not use rumors to influences his purchases.  some rumors have been going for years.  The 5D MK II was rumored for over a year in advance of its launch announcement.

I disagree. Having information far in advance allows me to plan my future expenditures more efficiently. Also, I've never understood people selling equipment in anticipation of buying new and improved equipment some time in the future, especially when it means that they can't take pictures for months. I'll grant you that early announcements work best when the manufacturer accurately announces when the equipment will actually be available.

Flake

Re: New Canon Lenses Availability - Updated
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 06:04:11 AM »
Selling a lens while it's still current ensures a higher price, selling after the new one is released means you take a hit as prices fall.

At the moment Ebay are selling some Canon products at close to or above the cheapest price for new gear!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 06:04:11 AM »

hutjeflut

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 08:57:17 AM »
i cant wait to see how much of a price increase these big dudes will get and if there will be any sales on the old versions wich may finaly lie within my small budget.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM     Late July, 2011

Seems this is actually happening.  DigitalRev has stock and is shipping them.

Thanks for the info

Its a interesting lens, I've the 15mm FE and really don't use it a lot, so I'm waiting for a need for one like this.  Now that I once again have a APS-C body, that might tempt me, I have APS-C, APS-H, and FF currently.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:32:48 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »
Last word from Canon Canada is that the 300 f2.8L IS II and 400 f2.8L IS II deliveries have been pushed back to November 2011...  :(
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 12:22:55 PM »