October 20, 2014, 07:37:33 PM

Author Topic: Advice for upcoming portrait shoot  (Read 1278 times)

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
Advice for upcoming portrait shoot
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
There's not really a section here for technique advice in the CR forums, so I thought I would just post this here. I know there are plenty of CR members with the experience to help me deal with this situation.

I just signed a new client up for a senior portrait shoot. She's a great kid and has a bright future (I've known her since elementary school).  The concern I have doing her portraits is her weight: She's quite heavy. What are some pointers to keep in mind so that I don't accentuate her size? Obviously, I'm not going to be able to turn her into a Heidy, but what can I do to make her look her best? I'm guessing that I need to keep in mind my lens selection (I go from 17-40, 50, and 70-200mm focal ranges) as well as camera angles. What kind of advice do you have for me?  Thanks in advance for your helpful suggestions and comments.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 01:22:55 PM by EOBeav »
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

Advice for upcoming portrait shoot
« on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »

dexstrose

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for upcoming portrait shoot
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
i have learned to make the person turn and chin close to the sholder, take more of a side angle shot to not show width of person. Also, if he or she has a double chin, try to make them extend their head forward. It helps hide the double chin. Not like when having the head straight and back to reveal more of the double chin.

hope this will help!

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:32 PM »
shoot tight: head & shoulder (use 70-200).. use couple angle from top down (get a ladder). use lighting that's create shadown to hide/minimize double chin if she has it

IIIHobbs

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
shoot tight: head & shoulder (use 70-200).. use couple angle from top down (get a ladder).

Agree.

Camera angle is important; make sure the camera is a few inches above her nose, nostrils are not attractive and this makes your subject look up at the lens, which is more appealing. This type of angle will also help thin out their face slightly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »