December 19, 2014, 11:08:38 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS-M in Stock at Norman Camera  (Read 4428 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EOS-M in Stock at Norman Camera
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

From Norman Camera

Norman Camera has the Canon EOS-M w/EF-M 22mm kit in stock and ready to ship.The quantities are limited, so act fast.

Canon EOS-M w/22mm STM for $799

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EOS-M in Stock at Norman Camera
« on: October 29, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »

tiger82

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS-M in Stock at Norman Camera
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »
Why, it is a POS!
1D4 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:57:51 PM »
Tempting, but I need (read: want) full frame.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:42 PM »
Why, it is a POS!

Why, because it will sell and Norman Camera is a retailer.  Retailers like to sell things.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

PaulTopol

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
What's a POS??

tiger82

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
The EOS-M  8)

tiger82

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »
Piece Of Excrement.  Who on here would buy a POS?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:13:55 PM »

callaesthetics

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:07:47 PM »
Piece Of Excrement.  Who on here would buy a POS?

I always thought it was 'Powershot on Steroid'.

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 11:19:42 PM »
I always thought it was 'Powershot on Steroid'.

From what I hear, the EOS-M AF speed can be even slower than a Powershot camera. So, it does not qualify as Powershot on steroid. :)

Canon needs to refresh their EOS-M camera with new AF algorithm/sensors + features (e.g. EVF) and introduce many, many more lenses (particularly compact f/2.8 zoom lenses like their Panasonic counterpart) if they want to attract new takers. Otherwise, their entire mirrorless line is a stillborn. It's a pity that Canon is a victim of their own success: their manufacturing plant can no longer be as nimble as the past 'cos they need to support their massive market share while new competitive products are introduced at the same time.

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:59:53 AM »
Does anyone have advice for me.  I have a rebel t4i budget but I found this site while determining whether to wait for the t4i and then was swayed by the critics of the autofocus not to pull the trigger.  I am trying to upgrade from a rebel xsi so this will be my first camera for video too.  I want a camera that does both well.  I don't know if I can wait for the t5 as I suspect I'd have to wait a year.  If I don't use the af feature is it hard to do manual focusing?  I am tempted to get the eos-m just to bide my time until something better shows up.  What should I do?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »
...swayed by the critics of the autofocus not to pull the trigger.  I am trying to upgrade from a rebel xsi so this will be my first camera for video too.  I want a camera that does both well.  I don't know if I can wait for the t5 as I suspect I'd have to wait a year.  If I don't use the af feature is it hard to do manual focusing?

What's the problem with the T4i's AF??  It inherited the AF sensor of the 40D/50D/60D, a very capable system (to get better, you need a 7D or 5DIII).  I expect the Rebel/xxxD line will keep that AF sensor for the next few update cycles, so if you want better, you'll have a long wait.

Or, did you mean the video AF?  If you want AF during video, that suggests you intend to shoot 'casual' video with a dSLR - there are many reasons why that's not a great idea, and why dSLR video generally involves tripod/fluid head, steadicam, external mic, Zacuto EVF, and other not-cheap accessories.  For casual video, you're better off with a good camcorder, with the dSLR for stills, and for that, the T4i will be very good.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
Does anyone have advice for me.  I have a rebel t4i budget but I found this site while determining whether to wait for the t4i and then was swayed by the critics of the autofocus not to pull the trigger.  I am trying to upgrade from a rebel xsi so this will be my first camera for video too.  I want a camera that does both well.  I don't know if I can wait for the t5 as I suspect I'd have to wait a year.  If I don't use the af feature is it hard to do manual focusing?  I am tempted to get the eos-m just to bide my time until something better shows up.  What should I do?

Re: a DSLR for video, you might want to read this:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/photo-lenses-for-video-there-is-no-free-lunch

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »

If you want AF in video mode, a DSLR isn't going to be usable, so I'd skip the T4 (...for video. As a stills camera I have nothing against it). You'll get "hunting" while the camera is focusing in video.

I have a micro 4/3 camera (GF2) which autofocuses pretty well in video (I can use the touch screen to move the AF point around) but I more or less just use prime lenses with this. It's usable indoors (where I don't need much zoom range). Outdoors I just use a camcorder (a very cheap one, but it is still more usable than my 5DII or Panasonic GF2 for video)

If you want AF and a zoom lens in video mode, get a camcorder. Then pick whichever camera does what you want for stills.

Re manual focus in video -- it's not impossible but it's a pain. The studios who use DSLRs for cinematic effect in movies aren't shooting spontaneous action -- the camera operator knows in advance where they will need to set (and pull) the focus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
Video on a dslr is, as pointed out by Neuro, quite a complicated thing. They're not really designed for video. Don't get me wrong the quality is awesome and you have a wide choice of lenses but sooner or later you'll run into issues like recording sound properly, memory, hdmi recorders and a whole load of stuff you didn't even know existed.

Use the best tool for the job (dslr for stills, camcorder for making low budget you tube videos).

As of yet there is no swiss army knife of the audio visual world. Or is there?  :o
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:37:31 PM by Zv »
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »