April 18, 2014, 07:49:12 PM

Author Topic: EOS M or ...???  (Read 6076 times)

canon23

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
EOS M or ...???
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for a small, easy to use camera for my wife.  I have never shopped for cameras aside from DSRL's, so I need your help! 

She will mainly use it for travel and weekend getaways.  I have in mind these options:

1) EOS M
2) PowerShot G1X
3) PowerShot G15
4) PowerShot G12

Please provide your input and why you would go with your selection.

Thanks again!!
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

EOS M or ...???
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:23:16 PM »

panicboy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M or ...???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »
The Fuji X100.

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »
Whats your budget?
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »
The new Sony NEX-6 with EVF and the new 16-50 mm lens.
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-nex-6

sambafan

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:47:42 PM »
I would never recommend the Fuji X100 to a novice (speaking as a former owner here). The learning curve is tough enough for an experienced user, and the "quirks" are almost insurmountable.

The G12 is a great carry-around camera. Go G15 if she plans to shoot buildings and scenery, as the wider angle is nice in that regard.
The EOS-M looks great on paper, but I haven't held one. May be more camera than needed.

Also, if she's going to be a truly casual/occasional user, consider the iPhone 5. (C'mon, folks; don't flame me.)

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »
Also, if she's going to be a truly casual/occasional user, consider the iPhone 5. (C'mon, folks; don't flame me.)

Nothing wrong with saying that. They are basically a point and shoot camera that you have on you at all times.

Have you seen Kai's review of the EOS-M?
Canon EOS M Hands-on First Impression Small | Large

He raises a few issues with the camera that may change your mind.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:55 PM »
Hi All,

I'm looking for a small, easy to use camera for my wife.  I have never shopped for cameras aside from DSRL's, so I need your help! 

She will mainly use it for travel and weekend getaways.  I have in mind these options:

1) EOS M
2) PowerShot G1X
3) PowerShot G15
4) PowerShot G12

Please provide your input and why you would go with your selection.

Thanks again!!

I'd pick a micro 4/3 camera.

Reasons -- big sensor, interchangeable lenses (you might not want to change lenses that often, but the point is that you can choose from a wide variety of lenses), good range of bodies to choose from.

The Olympus OM-D seems to be the pick of the bunch right now, but there are a number of other good options (Panasonic GX-1 which is somewhat discounted now, Panasonic GF series for something more compact/simpler).

If you're going to be shooting outdoors and don't think you'll benefit much from a bigger sensor, then a compact point and shoot might work, maybe a Canon S series, or Panasonic LX series.

(edit) another reason I recall going with a big sensor mirrorless as opposed to a point and shoot -- one of the major issues with point and shoot (and my wife's main gripes) was the sluggish AF performance which makes the camera feel unresponsive. At the time, I researched AF speed of the various "high end" point and shoots and they weren't going to cut it. The mirrorless cameras aren't quite as snappy as a DSLR but they are pretty close.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:47:20 PM by elflord »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:55 PM »

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
G15!!  :) :D ;D

These cameras are just fantastic.

They also offer great opportunities for the happy snapper to grow as a photographer and learn to exercise more control of the shot.

I would only suggest a larger sensor camera if she has definitely shown dissatisfaction with the noise at high iso in a similar size camera -- even then, if her current camera a few years old, recent model cameras do a better job.

With my wife, she loved the handling of a Nikon P500 superzoom but hated the image quality, so I stepped her up to a Panasonic G3 micro four thirds. Now she hates the lens swapping!  ::)  She likes a bit of reach so the G15 or G1x are out, so my only thought is a 14-140 lens for the G3. Which is expensive.

So, maybe get clear feedback on what she wants (explaining there ARe compromises such as size, weight, interchanging lenses etc)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »
Nikon V1.  This suddenly became a fine camera with the recent price reductions.   Previously it is sold at an absurd price thus the absurdity of the sensor.  But now, it's a good camera at its price of 200 to 400 dollars.  For this price, it's incredible.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=nikon+V1&_sacat=0&_from=R40

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »
Someone else mentioned it, have you given any thought to a Sony nex?  If she just wants a point and shoot the iPhone 5 is probably the best bet, but if she wants something more I'd say get a nex. Plus then you can have fun looking through eBay for some great old m mount lenses to play with. I'm debating a nex for the wife for Xmas just for that reason alone.

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 12:29:21 AM »
Any reason that you're looking at the "G" bodies?  The S110 should have similar performance in a smaller, lighter, lower cost body.  A pocketable camera is a good supplement to a DSLR when travelling.

When you look at the price of the EOS-M and G1X, I just feel there is better value options out there with other brands. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 04:50:48 AM »
canon m if good shutter lag, if not the olympus omd

canon23

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
Thanks all for your input.  I still haven't decided on which to get yet.
My budget is around $600.
Yes, her main usage will be for easy carry-around (specially vacations, and weekend outings).  I want to get her something simple and not too complicated, but yet something she can grow upon.  iPhone 5's and the 'simplier' versions of P&S will not due, as I wanted a little more but perhaps something just below a Rebel lineup or similar.
5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, II, Sigma 35 1.4 DG, 24-70 f/2.8 II, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 50 1.8 , Speedlite 430EX, YN 568 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 10:06:16 PM »
Thanks all for your input.  I still haven't decided on which to get yet.
My budget is around $600.
Yes, her main usage will be for easy carry-around (specially vacations, and weekend outings).  I want to get her something simple and not too complicated, but yet something she can grow upon.  iPhone 5's and the 'simplier' versions of P&S will not due, as I wanted a little more but perhaps something just below a Rebel lineup or similar.
the touch to shoot on the eos m is as easy as it gets (and its the fastest method of focsuing)
the novices i gave it to to play with were awestuck with it and instantly loved the feature i just explained to them just touch what you want to focus on on the screen and it takes the picture.

its over you budget though the camera with the 22mm on is still tiny and only marginally bigger than most point and shoots and much smaller than the G cameras
APS-H Fanboy

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
Another strong vote for the Canon G15. It's my next purchase. There's a very recent review on the G15 at DP Review that you should read. The Canon S110 is worth throwing into the mix. Its lens is not as bright and it doesn't go as wide as the G15, but it does have distinct advantage of being smaller than many smartphones. If you feel you wife would be more likely to take it with her all the time if it was purse size, then maybe the excellent S110 is the one to go for.

Remember you're buying for HER...this is not a toy for you. Think about the way she is likely to use it and locate the camera that ticks the most boxes for HER. Is she a novice? What will she do with her images? Make large prints? Put them on Facebook or Flickr galleries? Store and view them on her iPad? And so on...

Be honest in this appraisal, buy accordingly and she'll love you for it.

For your weekends away I guess there is a good chance you'll have your DSLR with you if something totally awesome comes up.

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »