April 25, 2018, 10:44:20 PM

Author Topic: Using EF-S lens on FF body???  (Read 26686 times)

puqq

Re: Using EF-S lens on FF body???
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »
I have used Sigma 10-20mm on film EOS with a reasonable success. As far as I remember, the image circle was large enough to cover the entire frame around 14mm (which is still impressively wide).

A while ago I have seen a forum post by a guy who had his Voigtlander 15mm rangefinder lens mounted on 5d Mk II during Live View exposure. The mirror stays above the protruding part of the lens and does not move, hence you do not risk causing any harm to your camera (maybe, a little bit more dust).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
A while ago I have seen a forum post by a guy who had his Voigtlander 15mm rangefinder lens mounted on 5d Mk II during Live View exposure. The mirror stays above the protruding part of the lens and does not move, hence you do not risk causing any harm to your camera (maybe, a little bit more dust).

The camera can drop the mirror unannounced for any number of reasons while in liveview, timing out, overheating, low battery, autofocus, etc.  I'd think the guy was pretty foolish to believe that the mirror would stay up.

ions

• EOS 80D
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »
The Tokina 11-16 is usable on fullframe, pretty much a prime though. If interested there's a decent amount of info on using the Tokina in that way to be found on flckrgoogle.
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

dr croubie

• EOS 5DS R
  • Too many photos, too little time.
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2011, 05:43:49 AM »
This may be my interpretation only (so don't wreck your camera trying, please), only Canon-brand EF-S lenses protrude deeper into the body than EF lenses.
3rd-party brands have a smaller image circle, definitely, but they don't protrude any deeper than an EF lens?

When you think about it, only canon have the dedicated shorter-mount, no other camera does. If you build a lens for a Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus body, and sell it with different mounts and electrical contacts only, you make the lens fittable to the longest mount (generally Nikon F) and don't change the optical formula for the other brands. Even Nikon DX lenses fit FX bodies (i think) without breaking a FF mirror.

So I would not be surprised if any 3rd-party aps-c only lens fits a 5d/1d/s (as long as it's not a canon-specific non-canon-brand lens).

But i would still be very careful, mirror-lockup/liveview can turn itself off at any time, as noted (i always forget to change the time-out on my camera when manual-focussing with liveview, until the screen goes black and mirror flaps down, then i remember)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

puqq

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 04:39:49 AM »

The camera can drop the mirror unannounced for any number of reasons while in liveview, timing out, overheating, low battery, autofocus, etc.  I'd think the guy was pretty foolish to believe that the mirror would stay up.

I do not think this would be a serious issue- the mirror goes down without much force. Basically, the camera just throw Error 99, and would return to normal operation after lens removal and restart. I've had my Takumar 50mm 1.4 hitting 5D MkII mirror for many times without any further problems- notably, mirror goes up with much more force.

macgregor mathers

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 07:39:27 AM »
What's the attraction of using EF-S lenses on FF bodies ?

There is no focal length gain, e.g. an EF-S 10-22mm would not cover an FF sensor at 10mm, and buying expensive lenses for a cheap body is smarter than the other way around. If the mirror is locked up, as Nikon does to support DX lenses on FX bodies, the autofocus mechanism would be disabled, forcing either manual focus or contrast based focus, neither being a big attraction.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:16:20 AM »

There is no focal length gain, e.g. an EF-S 10-22mm would not cover an FF sensor at 10mm, and buying expensive lenses for a cheap body is smarter than the other way around. If the mirror is locked up, as Nikon does to support DX lenses on FX bodies, the autofocus mechanism would be disabled, forcing either manual focus or contrast based focus, neither being a big attraction.

Well, not sure about FF, but if you look at the Flickr discussion linked earlier, you'll see that the 10-22mm is useable from ~12mm onward on an APS-H.  The only other way to get that wide is the Sigma 12-24mm, which is reportedly pretty soft (whereas the EF-S 10-22mm is relatively sharp), and comes with the notorious Sigma QC.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 09:16:20 AM »

AJ

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »

There is no focal length gain

I think the point is being able to shoot short focal lengths, dual use of gear for those who have both FX and DX gear, and also just messing around for fun.

I've mounted my Tokina 10-17 fisheye on my A2E body and looked through the viewfinder.  If I zoom just right I can get 180 deg diagonal coverage, i.e. no real need for me to buy a FF fisheye.  Now, my A2E doesn't have 100% viewfinder coverage so I will need to extrapolate a bit to get the exact corner-to-corner coverage.  At 10 mm I can get close to circular fisheye coverage (top and bottom are cropped a little).

I should divulge that I haven't run any film through my camera with this lens mounted.

puqq

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 04:09:16 PM »

It does make sense in several scenarios, for example, if you already have EF-S lens and just bought a FF body, or if you have a FF body in addition to APS body and want to play with an ultra-wide (there is not really much <16mm on offer for <£400 to cover FF, trust me).

Though, I would probably get some sort of old manual focus ultra wide. ATM I am using Zuiko 24mm 2.8 on 5d- and it's quite amazing :)

J. McCabe

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2011, 06:35:57 PM »

It does make sense in several scenarios, for example, if you already have EF-S lens and just bought a FF body, or if you have a FF body in addition to APS body and want to play with an ultra-wide (there is not really much <16mm on offer for <£400 to cover FF, trust me).

And which <16mm EF-S lenses do NOT vignette on FF ?

puqq

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 03:02:50 AM »

All of them. That is, the only one :) Mostly people start noticing vignetting around 14mm @ FF

macgregor mathers

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 04:57:56 AM »

All of them. That is, the only one :) Mostly people start noticing vignetting around 14mm @ FF

There's at least one other - the EF-S 15-85mm.

-zero-

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »

There's at least one other - the EF-S 15-85mm.

the 15-85 vignette on an aps-c   I can't imagin what it would look like on FF

using an ef-s on a FF you would still need to crop your pictures to a certain degree (you may not be forced to crop to an aps-c size but at least very close to it)

you are basically losing 90% of the advatages a FF sensor has over apsc (no crop factor, thinner DOF, resolution) the only advantage might be the improved iso performance

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
you are basically losing 90% of the advatages a FF sensor has over apsc (no crop factor, thinner DOF, resolution) the only advantage might be the improved iso performance

Cropping exaggerates the noise in an image, so you're losing that advantage as well.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

-zero-

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »
you are basically losing 90% of the advatages a FF sensor has over apsc (no crop factor, thinner DOF, resolution)

Cropping exaggerates the noise in an image, so you're losing that advantage as well.

I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure

the only advantage might be the improved iso performance

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 10:14:38 AM by -zero- »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »