December 08, 2016, 11:26:28 AM

Author Topic: Shutter Shock - help me understand it (anyone seen Cliff or his notes?)  (Read 1216 times)

jebrady03

• Canon 7D MK II
*posted this on DPR in the "open talk" forum as well*

I read through the 5DSr review recently and kind of skipped over the shutter shock section but then while perusing another forum, I found that the topic popped up there too, in regards to Nikon gear.

I don't own any of the gear in question but it seems like the common denominators are shutter speeds of 1/80-1/30 and with longer focal lengths.  Also, apparently Canon's in-lens IS apparently alleviates some of the issue as well whereas SOME Nikon lenses with VR actually make it worse.

Historically, it's been thought that lower megapixel FF sensors had less, or even nothing, to worry about with regards to this issue (hence I never bothered to learn about it as I use the 20mp Canon 6D) but apparently the Nikon D750 (24 mp) proves otherwise and actually had worse results than the D810.

Before I go any further - does it seem like I have all of the info correct thus far?  If so...

That brings me to my question... with a Canon 6D, the lenses I own which have "longer" focal lengths would be the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM, and Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM.

With the 100L, I will often shoot in the 1/50-1/60 range for portraits, thanks to the IS.  Thus far, I haven't noticed any issue with it and that's even with pixel peeping at eyelashes (curiosity got the best of me).

With the 135L, I usually aim for 1/160 or higher unless braced or on a tripod so I can't see it being an issue, for ME, with that lens.  But it WOULD be nice to know in case I have an isolated circumstance pop up where I'm actually going to mount it on a tripod and shoot slower shutter speeds.

But the 70-300L is a new lens in my arsenal and this is the one I'm most worried about.  I literally picked up this lens less than a week ago so I have basically zero experience here.  I can absolutely see me using this lens all the way out to 300mm and in the 1/30-1/80 range.  Can anyone offer any insight?

I'm not really going to go looking for a problem, but at the same time, if I can avoid (real, not theorized) issues by avoiding 1/30-1/80, then I definitely will.

Thanks for any insight you folks can offer!
Gear: 5D Mark III, 135L, 85LII, 100L, 70-300L, 200/2.8L II, 85/1.8, 16-35/4L IS, 35/2 IS, Sigma 50mm Art, 430 EXII

canon rumors FORUM