March 02, 2015, 07:49:07 PM

Author Topic: Possibly ok after dropped?  (Read 3865 times)

ck5dmkiii

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kruger Wedding Photographer
Re: Possibly ok after dropped?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »
Thanks everyone, I contacted the bride and groom today and am waiting for a response. I appreciate everyones opinions as I was really unsure about how to go about it.
Worse comes to worst I have the insurance and all will be OK. :)
1DX - 5DMK3 - 6D - 15mm Sigma fisheye - 24-70 2.8L VII - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 100 2.8L - 135 2.0L - 600 ex-rt (4), pocket wizards, etc, etc, etc.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 07:07:36 PM »

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
Hi Jon.
I suspect in this day and age of near complete computer integration that a claim on this policy would somehow affect their risk rating. Try missing a credit card payment then check your credit rating! Just a thought.

Cheers, Graham.

I would check with the newlyweds first (or parents, if they're already off on honeymoon), to see if they have this kind of coverage. I can't imagine why they would be peeved; it's one-off coverage, not ongoing like car insurance. If I were the groom and my photographer came to me with this kind of claim and I had purchased the insurance, I would welcome a claim (unless I was liable for any deductible), because then the price of the premium wasn't wasted.

If I inquired and the bride & groom did not have this coverage, I would just tell them OK, thanks, and then take it up with my own insurance provider.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

JonAustin

• Canon 6D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services, LLC
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 01:19:34 PM »
Hi Jon.
I suspect in this day and age of near complete computer integration that a claim on this policy would somehow affect their risk rating. Try missing a credit card payment then check your credit rating! Just a thought.

Cheers, Graham.

Hi Graham,

You may be right; I have no personal experience or industry knowledge about this -- and there isn't much that surprises me any more -- but if the scenario you describe is true, it argues strongly against taking out wedding insurance in the first place.
Canon gear.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »
I believe that the hall will have insurance bundled in as part of the rental agreement, but that the insurance is for damages to the hall and liabilities (guest slipped and hurt themselves). It seems doubtful to me that it would cover damages to your gear, but you never know until you ask.....

The best camera is the one in your hands

pedant

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
it's possible that your camera will soon develop some issues from the shock, but then again, it's possible that it will be fine.

hey, just a thought... you could use some black silicone sealant on there to block light and water. functionally, it would be as good as new if the chassis is truly the only thing that got damaged.

look for black 'RTV' sealant in a big hardware store like home depot or perhaps an auto parts store.
(possibly first take some ~400-600 grit sandpaper if some of the paint is peeling off around the damaged area)

a slightly ugly fix, and there will be the looming timebomb feeling. it's hard to say that there is not an increased risk of sudden failure from that drop.  but if you have a second camera that could work in a pinch on a job, this could be a suitable fix if you want to save your insurance for the next time some drunk guy bumps into you.

but yeah, if you want to use your personal insurance on this but need to keep using the camera to finish up your current jobs, you could apply the fix if you think you might be shooting out in the rain or something.

you could also just put a piece of duct tape on there... better than nothing.

Valvebounce

• 1D X
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 07:59:09 PM »
Hi pedant.
Good for a laugh, but these RTV sealants give off a real cocktail of fumes, mostly solvent, would probably dissolve some crucial plastic internal gear!

Cheers, Graham.

it's possible that your camera will soon develop some issues from the shock, but then again, it's possible that it will be fine.

hey, just a thought... you could use some black silicone sealant on there to block light and water. functionally, it would be as good as new if the chassis is truly the only thing that got damaged.

look for black 'RTV' sealant in a big hardware store like home depot or perhaps an auto parts store.
(possibly first take some ~400-600 grit sandpaper if some of the paint is peeling off around the damaged area)

a slightly ugly fix, and there will be the looming timebomb feeling. it's hard to say that there is not an increased risk of sudden failure from that drop.  but if you have a second camera that could work in a pinch on a job, this could be a suitable fix if you want to save your insurance for the next time some drunk guy bumps into you.

but yeah, if you want to use your personal insurance on this but need to keep using the camera to finish up your current jobs, you could apply the fix if you think you might be shooting out in the rain or something.

7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

martti

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »
Possibly it will fail in the middle of a shoot and if you have no backup body, FAIL.
If you take pictures for living, do not trust in this camera, get a replacement.
The lens might have gone out of alignment as well or some of the elements off center.
You are not in a war zone, play safe.
"Don't wake up, it's just me"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »
Hi pedant.
Good for a laugh, but these RTV sealants give off a real cocktail of fumes, mostly solvent, would probably dissolve some crucial plastic internal gear!

Cheers, Graham.

I destroyed the sensor on my scanner just by cleaning the glass with windex.  The ammonia fumes did not like the sensor.  I'd stay away from this type of fix that might totally ruin the camera.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
If it was me I would do my own insurance, get it going right away, not bug anyone else.  If the camera is working and you can't let go of it immediately, use some black gaffer tape on the injury.

Contact insurance right away to get the process started however.  If you wait, use the gear and then eventually contact them later, there might be some kind of loophole where you used it for X amount of time and it is working so it must not need repairs bad enough to merit a claim payment.  Who knows?  But if you have the insurance companies' blessing now to keep working with it, no problem.

Better safe than sorry.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
So at a wedding this evening a very drunk man stumbled into me as I was putting my camera away into my bag in the trunk. I was backed into the parking space and when he walked into me the 1DX dropped from my hand and fell right on the parking curb edge. Everything seems to work fine, obviously its not weather sealed anymore but other than cosmetics do you guys think it will be alright until i have a week or two off of weddings to send it in? I also have insurance though PPA but I am not sure if they will cover it since its so far just cosmetic damage. Thanks in advance!

That was done dropping from hand onto a curb????????? are you sure?????? I think the insurance company might have some questions?
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
The worst failure is not a catastrophic failure, it is subtle damage.

With a catastrophic failure , you know it, stop using the camera, and grab a backup.... With a subtle failure you go out and shoot an entire event, come home, and find that the focus is a bit off on every single picture and you have garbage.

Can you risk it? I'd send it back to be checked.

martti

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 11:50:14 PM »

With a catastrophic failure , you know it, stop using the camera, and grab a backup.... With a subtle failure you go out and shoot an entire event, come home, and find that the focus is a bit off on every single picture and you have garbage.

So you have been there and done that, too?
Did it in my daughter's wedding. Flash just didn't.
Luckily there was the Midnight Sun but still I felt like an idiot.
"Don't wake up, it's just me"

Don Haines

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »

So you have been there and done that, too?
Did it in my daughter's wedding. Flash just didn't.
Luckily there was the Midnight Sun but still I felt like an idiot.

Been there, done that....a dropped lens...

There was a diagonal line through the center of the frame that was in focus... everything under it and over it was out of focus.... when I checked in the field by zooming in to the center in live view, it looked good, but when I got home and looked on the monitor, everything was garbage....

BTW, anyone want to buy an 18-200 not-quite-so superzoom?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »