May 29, 2015, 10:55:48 PM

Author Topic: Imaging Resources Investigates T6s/T6i Sensor Anomalies  (Read 2029 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Imaging Resources Investigates T6s/T6i Sensor Anomalies
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »

Imaging Resource has done some tests to measure the image quality that comes from “sensor fleck” affected Canon EOS Rebel T6s & Rebel T6i cameras that was first reported by LensRentals.com. A brief follow-up from LensRentals.com states that Canon is taking the issue very seriously and we should hear some kind of an official statement from Canon soon.

As far as image quality issues with affected units, Imaging Resource had this to say:

The good news is that (a) the actual impact on photos is pretty small, and even then is limited to shots captured with very small apertures; and (b) it’s quite easy to tell whether any given camera has flecks or not. I’d personally be comfortable buying either of these models myself, and either exchanging it with the retailer if it proved to have flecks, or waiting for what I expect will be an eventual repair program from Canon to deal with the issue. (Note that we have absolutely no direct information from Canon on this; this is just personal opinion at this point.)

Read the full analysis at Imaging Resource

« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:27:37 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Imaging Resources Investigates T6s/T6i Sensor Anomalies
« on: May 02, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »

Tugela

• Canon 6D
Re: Imaging Resources Investigates T6s/T6i Sensor Anomalies
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 03:46:51 PM »
<p>Imaging Resource has done some tests to measure the image quality that comes from “sensor fleck” affected Canon EOS Rebel T6s & Rebel T6i cameras that was first reported by LensRentals.com. A brief follow-up from LensRentals.com states that Canon is taking the issue very seriously and we should hear some kind of an official statement from Canon soon.</p>
<p>As far as image quality issues with affected units, Imaging Resource had this to say:</p>
<blockquote><p>The good news is that (a) the actual impact on photos is pretty small, and even then is limited to shots captured with very small apertures; and (b) it’s quite easy to tell whether any given camera has flecks or not. I’d personally be comfortable buying either of these models myself, and either exchanging it with the retailer if it proved to have flecks, or waiting for what I expect will be an eventual repair program from Canon to deal with the issue. (Note that we have absolutely no direct information from Canon on this; this is just personal opinion at this point.)</p></blockquote>
<p><a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/05/01/canon-t6-sensor-flecks-how-big-an-issue-an-in-depth-look" target="_blank">Read the full analysis at Imaging Resource</a></p>

The sensors likely didn't have the flecks when they went through QC (or it would have been picked up at that stage), and they developed later as the sensor aged. Probably as a result of crystallization or phase separation in the materials used to construct the sensor. If that is the case you cannot trust any of these cameras from that production run even if your camera does not currently show the problem since it may manifest itself at a later date.

kphoto99

• EOS M2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »

The sensors likely didn't have the flecks when they went through QC (or it would have been picked up at that stage), and they developed later as the sensor aged. Probably as a result of crystallization or phase separation in the materials used to construct the sensor. If that is the case you cannot trust any of these cameras from that production run even if your camera does not currently show the problem since it may manifest itself at a later date.

If that is true, Roger from LensRentals should see spots developing in time on the ones he didn't send back to Canon. He has a large enough sample.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »