November 28, 2014, 09:45:26 AM

Author Topic: Any rumors on updates for the MT-24EX twin macro flash unit?  (Read 2238 times)

jauvane

Any rumors on updates for the MT-24EX twin macro flash unit?
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:31:35 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

First and foremost, thanks for such a superb resource of information! I am about to fork out some cash to get a MT-24EX twin macro flash unit, but given that it has been a while since it was released I was wondering if anyone heard anything about some newer release? Its documentation still talks about the 550EX...

Cheers,

JVc

canon rumors FORUM

Any rumors on updates for the MT-24EX twin macro flash unit?
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:31:35 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Any rumors on updates for the MT-24EX twin macro flash unit?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:08:15 AM »
It's a specialty flash, I expect there's virtually no pressure for Canon to update this.

What would be nice?  A major revamp to an -RT system with wireless flash heads (larger to accomodate batteries, probably meaning a more robust mounting bracket), along with the new locking foot design, silent recycle, etc. but realistically, this has got to be near the bottom on Canon's priority list.

I'd say just get it now.

With which lens(es) do you plan on using it?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jauvane

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 06:42:13 AM »
That is to be used with an MP-E 65mm f2.8 1-5x Macro Lens, as well as an EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. The first without a macro flash is quite a pain to use outside of a studio environment. The flash was kind of designed to be used with that lens.

Given the specialty of the flash unit it is pretty much an manufacturer-upgrads-when-they-feel-like-it device, specially. I guess I will just take advantage of the small discount available now :)

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »
It's a great flash. Really Right Stuff makes a wonderful rig for it if you check under the macro category.
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

DanoPhoto

• Rebel T5i
  • There is beauty in simplicity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:22 AM »
It is a fantastic unit, especially for the MP-E 65 lens.  Definitely look at getting the Sto-Fen diffusers.
1DX | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 50L | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 100L Macro | 300/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 2x III TC | 580EX II | MT24EX | lots of accessories & gadgets

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »
Yes, the twin flash is pretty much a necessity with the MP-E 65mm. I use it mostly with that, occasionally with the 100L Macro. For the latter, you'll need the Macrolite Adapter 67C.  The MT-24EX clips directly onto the MP-E 65mm.  Note that a filter on the front of the lens prevents mounting the twin lite. Personally, I use filters in all my lenses, but one is very useful on the MP-E 65mm - the working distance is so short I'm always pushing the front of the lens against a bush, etc.  If you want to use a filter with the MP-E 65mm and mount the MT-24EX, get the Macrolite Adapter 58C and mount that in front of the filter.

+1 on the StoFens, I have them.

Been thinking about the RRS brackets - very nice, although the setup costs more than the MT-24EX itself! 

jauvane

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
The flashclipson the MPE-65, but a filter can be attached to a thread that the flashunit itself has. So, you do need to remove the filter in order to attah the flash, but the fulter may be attahed to the flash itself, with no need to extra adapters. I am acquiring the difusers and the lens hood and macrolite adapter fot the 100L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »
The flashclipson the MPE-65, but a filter can be attached to a thread that the flashunit itself has. So, you do need to remove the filter in order to attah the flash, but the fulter may be attahed to the flash itself, with no need to extra adapters.

True - but the proximity of the flash heads and the extra distance between the filter and the front element combine to increase flare, reducing contrast and perceived sharpness in the image. That was my experience, at any rate.

jauvane

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
Reading my own post I can see that typing quickly in the ipad is far from ideal. Instead of a protective UV filters, some just use the lens hood for protection of the the MP-E65. At maximum magnification the focus distance (1.98cm) may indeed get one struggling with any glass element ahead of the lens, but the lens hood does seem to be usable still. I posted my order, now it is a matter of awaiting delivery and getting some tests done with the whole package.

Thanks everyone for the input. I would just hate to order the unit just to read about a new release. The MT-24EX is quite a match for the MP-E65, but things can always improve. :)

Cheers,

JVc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »