August 21, 2014, 11:03:10 AM

Author Topic: Official DXOMark Sensor Score for the EOS-1D X  (Read 19944 times)

Neutral

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Official DXOMark Sensor Score for the EOS-1D X
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »

Well that's exactly the problem my friend, their score system isn't about the whole picture of the sensor, but that's what gets  advertised. But hey, they say it themselves : "DxOMark is the trusted industry standard for camera and lens independent image quality measurements and ratings". So we should trust their ratings!

You call yourself a lab, then give me QE vs wavelength as standard, read noise and Full capacity well at different ISO, and SNR at different illumination and ISO and stop advertising camera's sensor with a meaningless score... Well maybe that's just me and my physics anyway...
Please no familiarities here – this is at least impolite not to say more)))
As for DXO – we are not discussing what they are claiming themselves – just results of their measurements.
And forget about SCORES  - when you see at measurement curves you need to “FEEL” sensor performance across different conditions the same way as you “feel” image histogram in the camera or image processing S/W.
Do you give this histogram any scores to better work with the image?
If you are telling that you studying physics – think of Fourier or Laplace transforms that give you information about physical process in other domains/dimensions   which helps better understand the properties of the process and work with it.
 And I do not see any point discussing this further

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 02:36:28 PM »
Ok, so here I am a physicist (no I am not a student anymore) and I don't "FEEL" anything regarding DXO.

Are you trying to kid us all here? Get a grip on reality.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 02:40:24 PM »
Ok, so here I am a physicist (no I am not a student anymore) and I don't "FEEL" anything regarding DXO.

Are you trying to kid us all here? Get a grip on reality.

Social scientists 'feel' things.  Real scientists quantify things. 

Apologies to any social scientists I've just offended... :-[
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
a little "real" life use...

Exactly.  So would you want a camera that has better DR, or one that has better AF, ISO & FPS?  We're talking real life use here.  I personally would take the latter.  All the DR in the world isn't going to matter if you miss the pic or it's OOF.   ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

han_solo82

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »

Well that's exactly the problem my friend, their score system isn't about the whole picture of the sensor, but that's what gets  advertised. But hey, they say it themselves : "DxOMark is the trusted industry standard for camera and lens independent image quality measurements and ratings". So we should trust their ratings!

You call yourself a lab, then give me QE vs wavelength as standard, read noise and Full capacity well at different ISO, and SNR at different illumination and ISO and stop advertising camera's sensor with a meaningless score... Well maybe that's just me and my physics anyway...
Please no familiarities here – this is at least impolite not to say more)))
As for DXO – we are not discussing what they are claiming themselves – just results of their measurements.
And forget about SCORES  - when you see at measurement curves you need to “FEEL” sensor performance across different conditions the same way as you “feel” image histogram in the camera or image processing S/W.
Do you give this histogram any scores to better work with the image?
If you are telling that you studying physics – think of Fourier or Laplace transforms that give you information about physical process in other domains/dimensions   which helps better understand the properties of the process and work with it.
 And I do not see any point discussing this further

Ok so now when a website talks about sensor performance we are suppose to "feel them". Please.

Anyways, as you are being offended by my "familiarities" attempt, I'll take your last point and stop discussing this with you...

gene_can_sing

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
I'm sure the people at Nikonrumors are saying DXO is the greatest and most accurate tests ever.

If the tables were turned and the 1DX was the camera scoring a 95 instead of the D800, people at Canonrumors would revere DXO.

No one likes to be on the losing end, and if anything, this should be a wake up to Canon to step their game up since Sony sensors are kicking their Butt, on both the stills and the video end. Since I'm more on the video end, not sure if you guys heard about the new Sony F5, close in price to the Canon C300, but about 5x the camera. The C300 is not even remotely in the same league.

The story line has been repeating over and over this year, Canon needs to step up on all fronts. Fortunately, they can ride on their name for a while, but soon, people will expect results.

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »
I'm sure the people at Nikonrumors are saying DXO is the greatest and most accurate tests ever.

If the tables were turned and the 1DX was the camera scoring a 95 instead of the D800, people at Canonrumors would revere DXO.

No one likes to be on the losing end, and if anything, this should be a wake up to Canon to step their game up since Sony sensors are kicking their Butt, on both the stills and the video end. Since I'm more on the video end, not sure if you guys heard about the new Sony F5, close in price to the Canon C300, but about 5x the camera. The C300 is not even remotely in the same league.

The story line has been repeating over and over this year, Canon needs to step up on all fronts. Fortunately, they can ride on their name for a while, but soon, people will expect results.

It's true...in regards to sensors.  I wonder if the Nikon camp complains about AF & ISO or FPS?  Canon will eventually have better sensors, and Nikon will eventually have better AF.  So really, depending on what your priorities are, is there really a bad choice?  No.  In the real world I would sooner have not missed a shot and have it in-focus rather than more DR.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 03:33:32 PM »
...this should be a wake up to Canon to step their game up

The story line has been repeating over and over this year, Canon needs to step up on all fronts.

You're right. 1D X, 5DIII, terrible AF, slow fps, badly built, horrible ergonomics.  C'mon Canon, step up!

Oh, you meant just the sensor that's got all those other features wrapped around it?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 03:59:29 PM »

Your post lacks credibility.  Your credibility score is 0.

ALL FRONTS?  I thought DxO only measured sensors?  Now it measures everything?  I guess the 1DX is a horrible camera and is behind the times?  Too bad it whips the crap out of Nikon's best camera, in all facets of photography.  And I'm not going by some stupid score or stupid chart.  I'm going by experience at night football games.  I guess if I can make a camera like the 1DX and still be accused of needing to step it up on all fronts, I guess I'd be content in needing to step it up on all fronts.

Canon making that stupid little 1DX and that stupid little 5D Mark III.  Shame on them!
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

weekendshooter

« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »

Actually we Nikoners complain just as much about DXO's overall scores. D3200 24mp 1.5x crop scoring higher than the 5D3? Suuuuuuure. Also D7000 has better DR than the D4?? Maybe, but that doesn't mean anything other than a fake score on a website. We're just as realistic about DXO as you guys are :)

Also I'm not sure what people here are talking about when they mention Nikon's "bad AF" - the D800 had some teething problems just like the 5D3's light leak, but the AF has always been just fine. I quite like my 51 point AF and RGB metering :) as well as having several f/8 cross-types in the D800 and D4. Both systems are great, and each one is optimized for a different purpose.

han_solo82

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »

Let's put Af, Build, FPS, etc. aside since DXO mark is a SENSOR analysis website.

While I agree that Canon's sensor are not the best right now, and that they need to act sooner than later, this isn't the point here at all. The point is simply that saying that a D3200 sensor is better than a 5dIII sensor, when all the measurements besides 3 points on 4 different graphs  shows you otherwise (that is objectivity), is just plain silly. Well turns out I don't like being taken for an ignorant.

I mean, I would have arrived at the same conclusion if they had scored the Canon T3 higher than the D600/D800...

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
a little Beyond nikon d3200....a very good result...lol
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to down Nikon or Sony.  They make great sensors!  I also like Nikon's EC during auto ISO in full manual mode.  But overall, the sensor is only a fraction of the camera.  Why then, can I shoot at much higher ISO's and print 8 x 10's with minimal NR, at ISO 25,600 with the 1DX and I cannot do that with a D4?  Why?  That is all I'd like to know.  In this regard, the DxO score means nothing to me at all and I go with whatever works in the field, which in this case the ONLY choice I have to do so is the 1DX.  If the D4 and D800 sensors are better, who the hell cares if they don't produce shots and I have to pack up and go home in the 4th quarter?
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »

According to the reality shows I'm watching from time to time (not that I'm a big fun of those, just spending time with my wife) the group of people who is on the losing end wins in the end. So it's time to focus on how we shoot instead of speculating on all other stuff not even remotely related to the current moment of time. Let's see what next year brings to us  :)
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

gene_can_sing

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »
Sorry to get such a rise out of you guys.  ;)

It's strange to me how different stills people are vs. video people. Many video people are company agnostic for the most part. They tend to just go with what is the best camera out (probably because many use manual lenses so the investment in one company isn't quite as heavy). Stills people are ardent defenders of the faith. You are either Canon or Nikon, and you guys will defend your company to death. Saying something bad about Canon (or Nikon on the "other" site) is like insulting your mother, or probably worse.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2012, 04:49:05 PM »