Gear Talk > Lenses

"Affordable" telephoto lens for wildlife

<< < (2/13) > >>

balaji:

--- Quote from: Rat on October 31, 2012, 03:41:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: balaji on October 31, 2012, 03:27:23 PM ---I have a 70-200 f4 IS USM lens and I am planning to shoot some bird shots next month (during my vacation). Is there a compatible teleconverter? Canon support person told me that he thinks only f2.8 lens are compatible with 1.4x or 2x teleconverters but does not know for sure if I can use the teleconverter with f4 and manually focus?

Please advise.

--- End quote ---
I have the 5D3, a 70-200/4 IS and a 1.4x mark II and they play together very well, including reasonably fast AF. The 2x TC's will fit as well, but you will have to focus manually. That's a firmware measure: you get yourself a Kenko 2x TC and you should be able to use AF on f/8. In that case, though, you better be prepared for very slow AF with lots of hunting ;)

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your quick response. Will there be an IQ difference between Canon and Kenko?

AprilForever:

--- Quote from: vargyropoulos on October 31, 2012, 02:17:47 PM ---Hello, I need some advice on an "affordable" telephoto lens which will be used primarily for wildlife. initially I will be shooting birds and other animals within the parks in the New York city area, later on I plan to head upsate to see if I can find raptors (owls, hawks, eagles, etc). I currently have the EF70-300mm and unless I am shooting with very bright light it does not give me the sharpness that I would like.

I tried the 100-400L earlier this summer and it appears to be a decent lens
other lenses that look good on paper (price and features) are the 300F4 and the 400F5.6.
I am also considering the 70-200f2.8 ISII and a 2x converter

Does anyone have any opinion on choosing between the above mentioned lenses, or even to propose another lens/combo at a similar price range? AS far as bodies are concerned... either 5D3 or 7D... still debating on that one....

--- End quote ---

Or, ye can bite the bullet and get a sued 500 f4 or 300 2.8... and sell them for as much or more as you bought them...

Rat:

--- Quote from: balaji on October 31, 2012, 03:45:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Rat on October 31, 2012, 03:41:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: balaji on October 31, 2012, 03:27:23 PM ---I have a 70-200 f4 IS USM lens and I am planning to shoot some bird shots next month (during my vacation). Is there a compatible teleconverter? Canon support person told me that he thinks only f2.8 lens are compatible with 1.4x or 2x teleconverters but does not know for sure if I can use the teleconverter with f4 and manually focus?

Please advise.

--- End quote ---
I have the 5D3, a 70-200/4 IS and a 1.4x mark II and they play together very well, including reasonably fast AF. The 2x TC's will fit as well, but you will have to focus manually. That's a firmware measure: you get yourself a Kenko 2x TC and you should be able to use AF on f/8. In that case, though, you better be prepared for very slow AF with lots of hunting ;)

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your quick response. Will there be an IQ difference between Canon and Kenko?

--- End quote ---
Sure there is, and normally you'd pick Canon over Kenko. Kenko, however, has a whole series of TC's, some pretty good, some pretty bad, most of 'em cheaper than their Canon counterparts. I picked up a 2nd hand 1.7x which is very 'not very good' (but it was cheap though!), I hear their top ones are between Canon's mark II and mark III, IQ-wise. However, I cannot speak from experience.

lol:
Decide how much reach you need, then decide how you want to get to it.

For max range on the cheap, 7D+100-400L is hard to beat. Any amount of zoom can be very handy unless you can work the shoot with a prime, or use multiple bodies to increase coverage.

One lens not mentioned so far would be the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS HSM. Since they announced a newer model in the pipeline, the current version seems to have taken a bit of a dip in pricing and is actually cheaper than the 70-200 II now. It is a heavy lens though, but stick a 2x TC on it and you get up to 600mm zoom! Quality wide open isn't the best but still respectable, and stopping down a step perks it up.

pierceography:
+1 for the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II + 2x converter.

Not the best shot in the world, but I've only had the converter for two weeks and this guy was real shy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version