October 24, 2014, 03:06:18 PM

Author Topic: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today  (Read 40787 times)

cptobvious

Re: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
I'm not brand-loyal (bought Canon, Nikon and Fuji) but to me, Canon's appeal over Nikon since Nikon started their unilateral pricing policy 1 year ago was the fact they allowed their authorized retailers to offer deeper discounts, particularly over the holidays.  It's one of the factors that made me sell my Nikon gear and move to Canon this year, despite my feeling that Canon was behind in the tech curve and overpricing their new releases.  Now that Canon's implemented this, I don't see see any reason to continue buying Canon. 

To me it's like when Sony dug their heels in when Samsung started eating their lunch in the video/audio electronics market.  Their approach was to go conservative with product development and keep prices high.  Now Sony is reeling and Canon is in the same boat.  I'm not against unilateral pricing per se (all of the major electronics corporations are now doing it), but Canon is going to fail unless they put out more compelling products to justify the price increase.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »

Hector1970

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
I could be wrong but I don't think the EU would allow this in Europe. This is akin to price fixing and anti-competition.
I think it's good for the Grey Market. I find it interesting people talking about good service in a shop and that the higher price supports this. I think a physical shop finds it hard to compete with a warehouse operation.
I've never had to go back to a shop yet so I'm not sure what kind of advice they give out nowadays. Most can't fix anything and probably don't know much more than the customers - who judging by Canon Rumors are very well informed about the products.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
I could be wrong but I don't think the EU would allow this in Europe. This is akin to price fixing and anti-competition.
I think it's good for the Grey Market. I find it interesting people talking about good service in a shop and that the higher price supports this. I think a physical shop finds it hard to compete with a warehouse operation.
I've never had to go back to a shop yet so I'm not sure what kind of advice they give out nowadays. Most can't fix anything and probably don't know much more than the customers - who judging by Canon Rumors are very well informed about the products.

Good point! I have educated more than one salesperson about the features in Canon bodies, and even which lenses are available for them!

The sales people are there for sales, and many of them don't even like their jobs.

ralphw

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »
In the USA manufacturers can implement MAP's but - "when implementing a MAP policy, it is critical to establish a policy that controls the price at which products can be advertised but not the ultimate price at which the products may be sold."

This quote if from an article concerning U.S. Antitrust Laws (Sherman Act)

Link:   http://www.scottandscottllp.com/main/minimum_advertised_price.aspx

I have purchased equipment from retailers below the MAP several times. I call them and ask for best prices, package deals, etc. The MAP price is for advertising, not for the ultimate selling price.

Regards,

-R

HurtinMinorKey

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 09:39:19 AM »
I have purchased equipment from retailers below the MAP several times. I call them and ask for best prices, package deals, etc. The MAP price is for advertising, not for the ultimate selling price.

Regards,

-R

Yes. MAP will force you to put things in your virtual shopping cart before you get to see the price, if it's below the MAP price (or get a rebate). Canon cannot restrict the finale sale price of the good (resale price maintenance) , that would be illegal. 

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »
In the USA manufacturers can implement MAP's but - "when implementing a MAP policy, it is critical to establish a policy that controls the price at which products can be advertised but not the ultimate price at which the products may be sold."

Regards,

-R

Exactly, those that are smart enough to realize this just have to haggle a little. Essentially this is just an msrp, how many of you have bought a car at msrp?

sleepnever

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »

Regards,

-R

Yes. MAP will force you to put things in your virtual shopping cart before you get to see the price, if it's below the MAP price (or get a rebate). Canon cannot restrict the finale sale price of the good (resale price maintenance) , that would be illegal.

This should be added to CR's article on the front page in some form. It makes me breathe a sigh of relief to what I just read.

In the WTF are you thinking Canon, department... Really, the 5DMkII is higher priced than the new 6D? Hahah. And also as others said, why not take this opportunity to lower your prices a little bit to compete, since you know, you just reported a ton of lost revenue? Just a thought.
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
This does not make me happy. Looks like I won't be buying a new camera this year afterall.

+1 A simple elegant solution to a complex problem ;)

EOBeav

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »
Glad I grabbed a 135 f/2 a couple of days ago for $879.  It's $989 now.

Dang, I was hoping that would be my next lens, too. Looks like I have a little more saving to do.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
If I am reading the original post correctly the MAP and the MSRP are one in the same to Canon?

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 10:23:37 AM »
One good thing about this though is the decision between the Olympus OM-d and the Canon EOS-M has been made.  If the EOS-m came down in price I would have gone that direction but now I will not expect this.  I will now invest in Micro 4/3 instead which is a much more mature/ proven product anyway.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:12 AM »
Canon, Why do you do this? Err.....

madmailman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
B&H are already offering a $200 "instant discount" on the MAP prices. Crisis averted. Well, almost.
5D3, 16-35mm f2.8mkii 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.4, 40mm STM, 70-200 f2.8mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »

dadgummit

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon FT-QL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »

Regards,

-R

Hi Ralph,  If I am reading this correctly this means they have to advertize at the MAP but if Adorama just decides to price the 5d3 at $2800 on their web page/ ebay that is ok as long as they do not advertize the price in the news paper, e-mails, etc?

87vr6

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »
Guess this is to make up that difference to 1 billion...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/canon-cant-even-make-a-billion-dollars-anymore/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »