October 24, 2014, 10:45:43 AM

Author Topic: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today  (Read 40782 times)

anim8r79

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »
I, too, was looking at the 135mm yesterday on Amazon for $879, and today it's $989.  I see that this matches B&H's price, which shows the rebate of $100 from the $1089 price.

I guess I'm a little confused...  I get the idea behind MAP, but why were these cheaper yesterday?  Did Amazon and B&H have them marked down, AND the lens rebate applied???

And couldn't these stores still offer them for the same price as yesterday, but hide the price, and only have it available at checkout, or virtual carts, or whatever they do to get around the MAP law in effect?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »

markbyland

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
I hate B & H.

Wahoowa

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »
Golf business has been this way for years. Retailers cannot even allow coupons to apply to their products.

Regarding the laws, I think there is always a loop hole both ways. Retailers can just advertise it as 'price too low to advertise' or they can list it on eBay. On the other hand, manufacturers can cut the retailers' account by saying the marketing strategy in the area has changed. I know one famous golf pro shop that usually sells their stuffs at a really really low price. Last time I called, their Ping account was cut for a year. That's why, if you're in golfing market, you'll see that most retailers won't risk advertising their prices below the minimum as required.

Now, back to photography. If, say, Adorama makes another spot sale on eBay for 5D Mark III for $2,750, we'll have to see how it pans out. Canon might not want to risk cutting big account like Adorama. But, who knows? B&H may put some pressure on Canon as well.

One thing for sure. I don't think anyone who wants Canon gear will find something cheap in the next few weeks from an authorized dealer.

ajschot

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
Yes this will rise up Canons' sales  :o
Are they stupid? Now more people who will go digital will go for Nikon or Sony.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 10:52:39 AM »
You do realize Nikon and Sony have similar policies, and in fact, Nikons is one of the strictest I have seen. The only way to get deals on Nikon gear is to buy it in bundles (with a lens discount) or to get it refurbished. Try and find the D800 at less than retail, it just doesnt exist

dandai

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 10:56:11 AM »
I'm happy I went ahead and bought a new 5DII for $1699.  a month ago,instead of waiting for a lower price..

markbyland

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »
You do realize Nikon and Sony have similar policies, and in fact, Nikons is one of the strictest I have seen. The only way to get deals on Nikon gear is to buy it in bundles (with a lens discount) or to get it refurbished. Try and find the D800 at less than retail, it just doesnt exist
Exactly. The difference is that Sony and Nikon actually enforce their MAP policies and will not ship product if a dealer is found to be in violation of MAP. Canon just doesn't care about the small shops. That's been evident for years.

Also see: 'Series of Flaming Hoops to Jump Through' when applying for Canon dealership status.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »

Scarpz13

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
B&H are already offering a $200 "instant discount" on the MAP prices. Crisis averted. Well, almost.

I believe that $200 is just the current standard Canon Rebate program. I wanted to purchase the 70-200 F4 IS from B&H last week... it was $1049 after rebate. It said "Offer Ends Dec 1, 2012". I waited a week so I could have it on the next credit card cycle... now, *BOOM* price has gone up to $1149 after rebate. Guess I'm out a hundred bucks...
5D MkIII  |  60D  |  EF 17-40 F4L |  EF 24-105 F4L IS  | EF 70-200 F4L IS  | EF 40 f/2.8  |  EF 50 f/1.4 |  EF 85 f/1.8  | 580EX II

Gothmoth

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 11:07:36 AM »

you do realize that the D800 is around 550-600 euros cheaper then the 5D MK3 ?

2413 euro body only on amazon vs. 3048 euro for the 5D MK3 here in germany.

http://www.amazon.de/Canon-SLR-Digitalkamera-Megapixel-CMOS-Sensor-Prozessor/dp/B007KKKJYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351782533&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.de/Nikon-D800-SLR-Digitalkamera-Megapixel-Full-HD-Video/dp/B00763MHB4/ref=sr_1_1?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1351782611&sr=1-1

MSRP for the D800 = 2899 €
MSRP for the 5D MK3 =3299 €

there goes your theory....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:13:20 AM by Gothmoth »

sharkcalgary

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 11:23:49 AM »
Is Canon getting lost, lost in the sense like many giant companys that are going down in a spiral and making questionable business decisions along the way, that type of lost?

Other companies has started to catch up Canon's sensor technology after the release of 5D2.  I could understand if they implemented the MAP back then, as there weren't any alternatives.
But implementing a MAP now when clearly the competition offering is not much different than Canon's, I just can't understand why.

Instead of focusing on preserving their prices margin and price enforcement over the regions, maybe Canon should spend more time and energy improving their sensor technology and coming up with camers like they did when they wow'ed the photography world with 5D and 5D2.

I started with a 300D and now own a 5D2.  I almost purchased the 5D3 when the price dipped down to $2799, but the embargo to Canada was in place so I was unable to purchase it.  Now, Canon has also established a MAP, forcing the same advertisement price everywhere.

What this means to me is to postpone my spending, and to wait it out or skip 5D3 all together. Consumers spend a lot around the Black Friday/CyberMonday/Christmas period, and now Canon put in a MAP.  I don't think this is a wise move, I am sure the next quarter's result will tell .  I surely hope Canon will reconsider its stance on MAP, especially its embargo to Canada from US on certain products.

drs

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2012, 11:24:13 AM »
If I get this right, I might delay the replacement of my 5Dm2 and some lenses like the 24-70L.
These were scheduled for this quarter, but perhaps I should "focus" on something else for a while.
The 5Dm2 is certainly good for another year.

photug

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2012, 11:31:53 AM »
This stinks. >:(

I was going back-and-forth on the 5d mk ii and the week before last the body only price at Fry's was on sale for  $1619!  Yesterday it was $1799 which is $2199 minus the $400 instant Canon rebate.

I should have got it then! :(

Tug

Greg_M

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
If I get this right, I might delay the replacement of my 5Dm2 and some lenses like the 24-70L.
These were scheduled for this quarter, but perhaps I should "focus" on something else for a while.
The 5Dm2 is certainly good for another year.

That's what I plan to do too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »

LordMicaTheGreat

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »
there goes your theory....
Except the original post is all in US dollars, referring to US retailer sites. Why would I look further into UK pricing when the MAP has no effect on it. Especially when most of those sites don't even ship internationally at those prices.

It doesn't blow up my "theory" at all, because its not cheaper for a US customer to buy it in the UK and have it shipped here (it'd be $3200+ for a D800, for example). I'm still unaware of any site that allows an authorized Nikon dealer to sell a Nikon camera for less than full US retail. That your starting prices are wildly inflated and they give discounts that mean you only overpay by 10% instead of 30% is one thing, but, its only loosely related to this policy.

In the US, before the increase, the 5DMark III was cheaper than the D800 by a few hundred bucks. So if Canon is strict about this like Nikon has been in the US, it could hurt them. Especially if it means the 5dIII is selling near retail and they aren't aggressive with their instant rebates. But that remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 11:37:43 AM by preppyak »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 11:35:30 AM »