April 23, 2014, 04:58:51 PM

Author Topic: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today  (Read 35754 times)

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »
Problem is though...people on CR want to buy the bloody thing, but do not wish to pay full price (dilemma :-[)

Yes, people on CR want to buy the every bloody thing, but do not wish to pay full price

What else is news?  Why are we even discussing this?  Anyone who jumped on the lower price should be happy they had a bit of notice - it's like planning to sell a stock, and being told today that the share price will drop tomorrow.  Anyone who sat on the fence and must now pay more, it's unfortunate, but that's life.

That's why many people like to see people pay for full price because they did.  I actually wonder how the new policy will impact Canon's business.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »

Rodknee

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2012, 07:05:17 PM »
You can buy a 600d for less than a 550d, does anybody know if that is due to he vagaries of MAP or is there some other reason?

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 07:15:20 PM »
Problem is though...people on CR want to buy the bloody thing, but do not wish to pay full price (dilemma :-[)

Yes, people on CR want to buy the every bloody thing, but do not wish to pay full price

What else is news?  Why are we even discussing this?  Anyone who jumped on the lower price should be happy they had a bit of notice - it's like planning to sell a stock, and being told today that the share price will drop tomorrow.  Anyone who sat on the fence and must now pay more, it's unfortunate, but that's life.

That's why many people like to see people pay for full price because they did.  I actually wonder how the new policy will impact Canon's business.

Business will move forward. If $3500 is too much for 5D III, Canon offers 6D for less. Attach rumor 24-70 f4 IS = perfect kit for newbie to me.
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »

People who are complaining are obviously not negotiating hard enough, or being nice enough to the sales rep. ;-)
My wife got a ST-E3, 82mm filter, 2 LP-E6 batteries, 32GB SD card and some other odds and ends thrown in when she bought a 5DIII, 24-70 f/2.9 and 600EX-RT.

One trick that never fails: send your wife to buy gear!

There is nothing wrong with believing in not paying full price - if you believe in that, get your strategy together to get a good price!
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

AlberD

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »
My wallet is happy because of the recent price hikes. It will be fatter.

4-5 years back when you could stack up instant rebates and coupons I ended up spending on Canon gear more than on a decent brand new car (and I was leaning towards Nikon at the time). I kept what I liked, and sold the rest without losing much $ (cheaper than rental). It was irresistible and shocking at the same time, I didn't plan on spending even 1/4 that much. Today I'd rather buy second hand than pay ransom prices for new gear. I'll just stretch my gear replacement cycle,... no more 5 cameras in 5 years, more like 1 in 5y.

This MAP thingie just means that even the second hand goods will be more expensive, which in turn means that it will be easier to skip brands as the field is levelled. I have no brand nor shop loyalty.

Vote with you wallets, not with words. Big kahuna execs don't read Internet forums, they read their bottom lines.

stewy

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
Here I thought that Canon would drop the price to be more competitive, and hence push me over the edge to get one. I was so close. I'll know better next time. I'll get the 5D Mark IV or 1DX Mark II on day one. What's the point of waiting a year if I still have to pay full price (or close to full price) when a new model will be released in the next 3-4 years? I'll start saving from now.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »
My wallet is happy because of the recent price hikes. It will be fatter.

4-5 years back when you could stack up instant rebates and coupons I ended up spending on Canon gear more than on a decent brand new car (and I was leaning towards Nikon at the time). I kept what I liked, and sold the rest without losing much $ (cheaper than rental). It was irresistible and shocking at the same time, I didn't plan on spending even 1/4 that much. Today I'd rather buy second hand than pay ransom prices for new gear. I'll just stretch my gear replacement cycle,... no more 5 cameras in 5 years, more like 1 in 5y.

This MAP thingie just means that even the second hand goods will be more expensive, which in turn means that it will be easier to skip brands as the field is levelled. I have no brand nor shop loyalty.

Vote with you wallets, not with words. Big kahuna execs don't read Internet forums, they read their bottom lines.

How often do you hear this? Even, some of the long time posters tried to switch brands, at the end, he went back to his original root. ;)

The grass always seems to be greener, until you jump over. Goodluck and see you back here soon.
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2012, 09:50:28 PM »
If I get this right, I might delay the replacement of my 5Dm2 and some lenses like the 24-70L.
These were scheduled for this quarter, but perhaps I should "focus" on something else for a while.
The 5Dm2 is certainly good for another year.

That's what I plan to do too.

Me too.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2012, 10:01:58 PM »
There's a psychological thing for me:  I find it very difficult to pay $3300 today for a camera for which many people paid $2800 yesterday.

Not gonna happen!

My 5DII still produces great pics, I could easily wait for a 5D IV, or something nikon or sony has in a couple of years.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:04:28 PM by Etienne »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
If I get this right, I might delay the replacement of my 5Dm2 and some lenses like the 24-70L.
These were scheduled for this quarter, but perhaps I should "focus" on something else for a while.

Me too.
In Europe normally prices for the 5DMkIII range between 3000 and 3500. For example Amazon.de had it for 3050 then lowered it to 2950 and  now it is again 3050. No radical changes. I was happy to find a deal for about 2700euros. Now I have a lot of lenses. In addition I am an amateur and I do not need anything badly (a 500mm f/4L IS II would be nice but ... I'll think about it in 3-4 years...) so yes no more gear anyway.

steliosk

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
canon will commit suicide
their products prices are way to high to increse more...

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2012, 11:04:24 PM »
canon will commit suicide
their products prices are way to high to increase more...
Christmas is coming and instead of lowering their prizes they increase them. I guess you are right. We will see.

Nishi Drew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »

Me too.

Same here

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »
Phew!  Glad I pulled the trigger for the 5D3 on Monday because I see Canon has pushed the price back up by $300.   This morning (Thursday) it was $2994, tonight it is $3299.   I think it was only under $3000 for 3 or 4 days.  Didn't get the ebay deal of $2750, but I'm very happy I got it for under 3k at an authorized dealer.

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2012, 12:47:39 AM »
There's a psychological thing for me:  I find it very difficult to pay $3300 today for a camera for which many people paid $2800 yesterday.

Not gonna happen!

My 5DII still produces great pics, I could easily wait for a 5D IV, or something nikon or sony has in a couple of years.

My colleague missed the 2750 5D3 deal and is waiting similar deals.  When I told him the MAP pricing, he told me "That's fine, I can still using my current camera".  I think Canon is just going to loss many customers; especially for 5D3 buyers because people know there was a 2750 5D3 deal.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2012, 12:47:39 AM »