December 17, 2014, 05:03:52 PM

Author Topic: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today  (Read 42555 times)

DB

Re: Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2012, 01:09:34 AM »
@ tron & RC, well done, you both spotted a bargain and got a good deal

@ Etienne, it is human nature to worry about what others did or didn't do (in this instance 'pay'), but you should only worry about yourself. Two years ago, the graduating MBA class at Harvard University were given a survey questionnaire with 2 options and were asked to specify which they would prefer:

(1) to get a job paying $200,000 per year, whilst the rest of your class secure jobs paying $250,000

or

(2) secure a job paying a starting salary of $120,000, whilst your classmates get jobs on $80,000

The result: the majority opted for (2) :o They were more concerned with relative position and rankings than absolute income. The moral of this story: forget what someone else paid for a DSLR, and focus on whether in the future a new DSLR would suit your needs, then save the necessary cash to get what you desire.

If everyone followed your logic (based on the psychology of what others have paid for an identical product) then Europeans would not buy Canon DSLR's or lenses at +25% to +50% more than what Americans pay today for the same models. In my country, a 5D3 costs US$4,420 (or €3,399 x 1.30) and that price has dropped 200 euros.

@ cliffwang, if you spend your life waiting for the price to reach your level, you'll end up either waiting a very long time, or you will end up buying antiquated technology (I can get a 1D II for less than I paid for my 7D, but I do not want an 8MP body that cannot go above ISO 3200). Canon may lose some customers , or rather, should I say some existing Canon shooters may defer their purchase, but ultimately they will upgrade at some point in the future and they'll get a better used price for their existing body as a result of this policy.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:20:59 AM by DB »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2012, 01:09:34 AM »

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2012, 05:25:39 AM »
There's a psychological thing for me:  I find it very difficult to pay $3300 today for a camera for which many people paid $2800 yesterday.

Not gonna happen!

My 5DII still produces great pics, I could easily wait for a 5D IV, or something nikon or sony has in a couple of years.

If many people react the same way as you, the MAP will come down, plain and simple.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2012, 06:13:39 AM »
There's a psychological thing for me:  I find it very difficult to pay $3300 today for a camera for which many people paid $2800 yesterday.

Not gonna happen!

Yup!

For all of those that pay attention to online web prices and/or read digital camera news on a regular basis, they'll all be aware of the $2750 deal and be thinking to themselves about waiting for that to happen.

Of course the 5D Mark III will continue to sell but not in numbers like the 5D Mark II did and quite possibly not the numbers that Canon wants.

bbasiaga

• EOS M2
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
MAP pricining doesn't mean things won't go on sale, or that there won't be reabates, or that the MAP pricing won't change over the years.  All it means is all the dealers will list it for the same price, because they have to.   There are numerous companies that do this, and I'm guessing most of us don't even know the extent to which its happening on the variety of things we buy.

If you really don't like it, band together, collect money, hire a lawyer and sue, or better yet buy a couple of politicians to pass anti-MAP laws.  Not sure which party you need to buy though.  Dems would like the price equality, and GOPs would be torn between supporting the free market (anti-MAP) and helping small business (pro-MAP).  :) 

-Brian

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »
@ tron & RC, well done, you both spotted a bargain and got a good deal...
Thanks
I set $3000 as my trigger point from an authorized dealer (Amazon, B&H, etc) and check prices at least daily.  Based on dealer pricing patterns and Canon Price Watch.com over the last few years, I just could not see the 5D3 dropping much below 3k right now.  Actually I was surprised with the $2994 price so I jumped on it. 

Still confused on those eBay sales  and kudos to those who got a great deal.  I don't think I could have went that route, I'm too skeptical and not much of a gambler.

cptobvious

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
Unilateral pricing policy is the result of B&M stores pressuring manufacturers to set price floors. 

My take on it?  It may not be illegal, but it is inefficient for the market.  It's essentially punishing larger camera stores like Amazon and B&H (which is itself not that large) because they are more efficient and can pass on their lower overhead costs as savings to consumers. 

I've stopped buying at big box stores like Best Buy because of their high prices and bad service.  I've also had better service buying from Amazon and B&H than the local camera shops (who often price higher than minimum price anyway), so UPP is not going to make me more likely to buy from them.  It will, however, make me less likely to buy camera gear in general, given the prices Canon is asking.

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
""Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today""

And my closed wallet policy goes into full effect today.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2012, 10:14:34 AM »
Hey I don't know why some of you are complaining about Canon's prices in the US. In Japan, Canon's own backyard, a new 5D mk III costs ¥298,000 which nowadays is $3700! And a new 24-105L will set you back ¥98,000 or $1200! In fact everything is and always has been miles cheaper in the US. I don't think this MAP is gonna change that, there's far too much buyer power!

I bought all my lighting gear on amazon.com and adorama and had it shipped over to Japan and it was still HALF the price it would have cost over here. Not to mention that stuff is hard to find here too!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:16:08 AM by Zv »
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Hey I don't know why some of you are complaining about Canon's prices in the US. In Japan, Canon's own backyard, a new 5D mk III costs ¥298,000 which nowadays is $3700! And a new 24-105L will set you back ¥98,000 or $1200! In fact everything is and always has been miles cheaper in the US. I don't think this MAP is gonna change that, there's far too much buyer power!

I bought all my lighting gear on amazon.com and adorama and had it shipped over to Japan and it was still HALF the price it would have cost over here. Not to mention that stuff is hard to find here too!

So that makes you wonder, do the Japanese have more money than us, are they willing to spend more on their hobbies, or are sales just really slow in Japan (and other countries)?

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
5D III pricing soap opera just keeps going on... wonder what else could be done to put customers in the state of great anxiety and make them pay a truckloads for nothing.
Very amusing  :D

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2012, 10:50:23 AM »
@ Etienne, it is human nature to worry about what others did or didn't do (in this instance 'pay'), but you should only worry about yourself. Two years ago, the graduating MBA class at Harvard University were given a survey questionnaire with 2 options and were asked to specify which they would prefer:

(1) to get a job paying $200,000 per year, whilst the rest of your class secure jobs paying $250,000

or

(2) secure a job paying a starting salary of $120,000, whilst your classmates get jobs on $80,000

The result: the majority opted for (2) :o They were more concerned with relative position and rankings than absolute income. The moral of this story: forget what someone else paid for a DSLR, and focus on whether in the future a new DSLR would suit your needs, then save the necessary cash to get what you desire.

Good points, but it's an emotional thing as much as it is an extra $500. Plus, I don't really need the 5DIII, I just want it. My 5DII is still a great camera, but I am readily tempted by shiny new toys.

If my 5DII breaks, then I will need to get a new camera. In the meantime I'll just wait for a really good deal, or the next round of upgrades.

plam_1980

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »
""Canon's MAP Pricing Goes Into Full Effect Today""

And my closed wallet policy goes into full effect today.
Me too!

I was so upset - I had set a psychological limit of $3000 and was waiting for my annual bonus. I received it yesterday, only to see the price going up again... $300 more just because MAP went into force seems unreasonable at least to me

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
I was so upset - I had set a psychological limit of $3000 and was waiting for my annual bonus. I received it yesterday, only to see the price going up again... $300 more just because MAP went into force seems unreasonable at least to me

Unfortunately, that's life.  You can either wait and hope the price drops in the future or find an extra $300 and give in to temptation...   ;)

I don't see this having any significant negative impact on Canon's sales - and probably positive in the long run, since keeping their major retail channels happy is important in the long run, and unpredictable undercutting by discounters can undermine those relationships.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »

roguewave

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2012, 11:40:28 AM »
Problem is though...people on CR want to buy the bloody thing, but do not wish to pay full price (dilemma :-[)

Not quite true... people do not wish to pay the full price FOR AN OVERPRICED product.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »
Not quite true... people do not wish to pay the full price FOR AN OVERPRICED product.

Who defines 'overpriced'?  For some people, the 5DIII at $2900 was too expensive...for others, $3500 is not too expensive. 

The answer to my question is 'the market' defines 'overpriced' and that leads to low sales, which might lead to a reduction in the MAP.  But if sales don't drop much, or at all...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2012, 11:45:00 AM »