April 23, 2014, 06:14:41 AM

Author Topic: Alaska: 5D2 or 1D4  (Read 4727 times)

LukieLauXD

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Alaska: 5D2 or 1D4
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:02:08 AM »
Hi everyone :D

I'm a high school senior right now and my dad got me a 5D2 because I take pictures for a lot of school organizations and I just upgraded from a 40D last year and I might be going to University of Alaska Fairbanks next year. (I'm in California right now, so my parents are talking about me freezing my butt off.)

I remember hearing that the 5D2 isn't as weatherproof as a 1-series, so do you think I should invest in a 1D4 if I actually intend on continuing to take pictures in Alaska? My dad says he'll willingly take my 5D2 and get me a 1D4 instead of him getting his 1Dx since he doesn't have too much time to take pictures anyways.

Thanks in advance!
Luke Lau

canon rumors FORUM

Alaska: 5D2 or 1D4
« on: November 01, 2012, 09:02:08 AM »

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Alaska: 5D2 or 1D4
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »
Yes. I would recommend a 1D series camera for the harsh arctic environment of Alaska. Plus it's battery will last longer in the cold.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

PackLight

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:53:56 AM »
Hi everyone :D

I'm a high school senior right now and my dad got me a 5D2 because I take pictures for a lot of school organizations and I just upgraded from a 40D last year and I might be going to University of Alaska Fairbanks next year. (I'm in California right now, so my parents are talking about me freezing my butt off.)

I remember hearing that the 5D2 isn't as weatherproof as a 1-series, so do you think I should invest in a 1D4 if I actually intend on continuing to take pictures in Alaska? My dad says he'll willingly take my 5D2 and get me a 1D4 instead of him getting his 1Dx since he doesn't have too much time to take pictures anyways.

Thanks in advance!
Luke Lau

5D II if you are only going to be doing landscapes
1D IV for everything else

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:16 AM »
As another California kid do you really think you'll be venturing out in the weather all that much?  I've been to Fairbanks once, its was cold and wet, it is the second coldest place I've ever been (the first being any summers day in San Francisco). So definitely 1d series, but ideally what you should convince Dad is that you need a new lens instead (70-200 f2.8IS ii) and then just buy a bunch of garbage bags and you're golden. After all in college you are going to be more busy drinking beer and (trying) picking up chicks, and lets not forget that school thing you should attend every once in a while. My recommendation, the university of Arizona, yes it's in the desert, but that does mean the coeds wear next to nothing most days and keep themselves in good shape as there is no "winters coat" to put on. It worked out well for me, married 15 years and she still looks as good as the day we met.

PackLight

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:07 AM »
As another California kid do you really think you'll be venturing out in the weather all that much?  I've been to Fairbanks once, its was cold and wet, it is the second coldest place I've ever been (the first being any summers day in San Francisco). So definitely 1d series, but ideally what you should convince Dad is that you need a new lens instead (70-200 f2.8IS ii) and then just buy a bunch of garbage bags and you're golden. After all in college you are going to be more busy drinking beer and (trying) picking up chicks, and lets not forget that school thing you should attend every once in a while. My recommendation, the university of Arizona, yes it's in the desert, but that does mean the coeds wear next to nothing most days and keep themselves in good shape as there is no "winters coat" to put on. It worked out well for me, married 15 years and she still looks as good as the day we met.

+1 for the desert and coeds

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
If I were you, I'd get a 5DIII.  Better in low light... (Which you will have seasonally), better for wildlife then the 5DII, and the weather sealing is just fine.  If you are careful with your gear I wouldnt worry about weather sealing.  I live in Vermont.  The weather here is just as mixed and harsh as Alaska.  I shoot all year round with my cameras in the green mountains, the white mountains, winter camping, climbing...etc..

I have owned the 1DIV and sold it to buy a second 5DIII.  I could not be happier with my decision.

Have fun.

Botts

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
I purchased a 1D3 last year and kept it for a while.  If you are planning on shooting lots of animals, the 1D body gives you better weather resistance if you are laying in the snow waiting for animals, and it's crop sensor theoretically extends your lenses.  You could always crop a 5D3 to the same "zoom" though.

The 1D3/4 are also substantially faster in frame rate than the 5D2.  This is crucial for shooting birds and animals as well.

However, if you don't plan on tons of animal photography, the lighter body is nice, and less conspicuous at university parties and the like.  People are used to seeing small SLR's at parties now, T2is are everywhere, but the pro bodies will still get you some strange looks.  But being known as a "photographer" in university may get you some unique co-ed opportunities, especially if you say you are studying boudoir or something like that ;)

All things considered, simply decide if you need the speed and toughness of a 1D body.  Any modern body will serve you well if you do your part.
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »

Stickman

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 02:31:44 PM »
I live in Vermont.  The weather here is just as mixed and harsh as Alaska.

Vermont is not as mixed and harsh as Alaska, but I think the 5D3 would most likely fill his needs just as well as the 1D4, and possibly better.  It doesn't sound like he is going to be out on glaciers on a regular basis, and since he didn't mention what type of photography he is doing its kind of a guess on all of our parts.   :)

PS- I love Vermont, and I'm not sure there is a more beautiful state to be in the fall.

AKChui

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 03:52:51 PM »
As a long-time Alaskan who is quite satisfied with his 2 5dIIs, I think its more "f8 and be there" rather than a specific body.  (OK, f2.8 during the winter!).  I think you will find our weather quite agreeable for photography and not nearly bad as non-Alaskans would have you believe, and during the extremes, both you and your camera will cr@p out at just about the same time...

That said, the 5DIII would probably be a better choice--mainly for better weather sealing.

tiger82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
Have your dad buy you a 1Dx and tell him it is $1750 additional per year of college.
1D3 with 70-200 IS f/2.8L, 5D2 with 24-70 f/2.8L

frozengogo

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2012, 07:04:32 PM »
I work on the North Slope of Alaska, more than one hundred miles north of the Arctic Circle, and until March when I upgraded to a 5D3 used a Rebel XT year round up here. I shot outside many a time from -50 F to -20 F, just shoot brief periods outside and then warm up; I also shoot from my truck keep the camera warm. Batteries go quickly in the cold, that's the real problem.

Frozengogo

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 07:18:24 PM »
I work on the North Slope of Alaska, more than one hundred miles north of the Arctic Circle, and until March when I upgraded to a 5D3 used a Rebel XT year round up here. I shot outside many a time from -50 F to -20 F, just shoot brief periods outside and then warm up; I also shoot from my truck keep the camera warm. Batteries go quickly in the cold, that's the real problem.

Frozengogo

Don't forget humidity and getting the camera at the outside/inside temperature when it's been in the opposite. Especially if it's been inside and it was just outside which it will get moisture on it, and then take it back outside before it completely acclimatizes. I imagine the moisture will freeze, and start taking it's toll on the physical connections and electronics.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

frozengogo

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »

Frozengogo

Don't forget humidity and getting the camera at the outside/inside temperature when it's been in the opposite. Especially if it's been inside and it was just outside which it will get moisture on it, and then take it back outside before it completely acclimatizes. I imagine the moisture will freeze, and start taking it's toll on the physical connections and electronics.

I didn't have problems with humidity in the winter with my Rebel and it traveled back and forth from home in Southern California to Alaska every two weeks. We have very low humidity here. I haven't had my 5D3 up here since August, so no winter tests yet for it. Heck, I haven't had moisture problems with the office Powershot SD800 and I take it in and out all the time. Fairbanks has similar temps in the winter as the Slope, just more light than us. I see the concern, just haven't had the problem myself.

Frozengogo

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »

canon816

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
I live in Vermont.  The weather here is just as mixed and harsh as Alaska.

Vermont is not as mixed and harsh as Alaska, but I think the 5D3 would most likely fill his needs just as well as the 1D4, and possibly better.  It doesn't sound like he is going to be out on glaciers on a regular basis, and since he didn't mention what type of photography he is doing its kind of a guess on all of our parts.   :)

PS- I love Vermont, and I'm not sure there is a more beautiful state to be in the fall.

True.  I'll concede that AK is perhaps harsher... but sleet, freezing rain, snow, hot and humid... we get it all.  And regularly see below Zero (F) with wind chills.  Typical Vermont Weather Report: "6-42 inches of snow followed by a tropical blast with thundertorms in the afternoon followed by a deep freeze and no sunshine for a month"  Lets just say that it gets cold enough where even the heariest of us won't go out.   8) 8) 8)

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »
Typical Vermont Weather Report: "6-42 inches of snow followed by a tropical blast with thundertorms in the afternoon followed by a deep freeze and no sunshine for a month"  Lets just say that it gets cold enough where even the heariest of us won't go out.   8) 8) 8)

that's the key thing, will you really be outside shooting when the weather gets extreme?  or will you be inside enjoying a 40 and wondering why it's got to be so dark all the time?  any of the 5D series cams should be able to handle things just fine, unless you're planning on dogsledding the Yukon and documenting it.  the main thing that will happen will be your batteries draining really fast.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:56:19 PM »