July 31, 2014, 01:15:11 PM

Author Topic: EOS-M kicking butt in Japan  (Read 12792 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
EOS-M kicking butt in Japan
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
BCN Ranking, via Photo Rumors, reports that Canon's EOS-M is in the #3 slot in Mirrorless Camera Sales in Japan for the first nine months of the year. That's pretty incredible considering the camera wasn't even announced until July.

Just goes to show how out of touch many on this forum are. And, I admit, I was (and still am) underwhelmed by the EOS-M. But, once again, Canon proves they knows how to sell them cameras.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

EOS-M kicking butt in Japan
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: EOS-M kicking butt in Japan
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »
I like the EOS-M. Its a friendly looking camera with Great IQ.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:55:20 PM »
The camera is aimed at women, and lots of women in Japan are enthusiastic photographers, so I'd expect it to be doing well in Japan.  Its about time that a high end camera was created that takes into account features that women want.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
See my comment on the original PR post. Unfortunately, PRGuy got it wrong, those are the top 10 sales figures for 01-22 October only (and there's always going to be a big rush upon launch).
Still, nice to see that it's doing well (although there's some weird things in there, like the Pentax Q sells well, and the NEX-7 doesn't, and there's no Fuji anything or OM-D in there)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
See my comment on the original PR post. Unfortunately, PRGuy got it wrong, those are the top 10 sales figures for 01-22 October only (and there's always going to be a big rush upon launch).
Still, nice to see that it's doing well (although there's some weird things in there, like the Pentax Q sells well, and the NEX-7 doesn't, and there's no Fuji anything or OM-D in there)

In the immortal words of Emily Litella: "Never Mind." (Although I suppose those are still pretty good numbers and certainly beating Nikon)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
A few reasons it's doing so well in Japan (based on living here) -

1. Canon's advertising a marketing campaigns are effective, when somethin new comes out you know all about it!
2. Japanese people love new gadgets, especially cameras.
3. It's small - they love small and cute things that come in multiple colors.
4. People stick to brands they know, Loyalty is everything.
5. OM-D and Sony NEX-7 not advertised as much and costs more.

I don't agree entirely with the aimed at women thing. I think Canon is going for the young party goers and weekend hobbyists, male or female. Though it would be interesting to see the demographic breakdown of sales!

I would be interested in EOS-M for things like Karaoke, nightclubs, bars, restaurants, camping trips, hiking and any other situation where my 5D mk II and lens collection are overkill / less than ideal.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:58:50 PM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
Just goes to show how out of touch many on this forum are. And, I admit, I was (and still am) underwhelmed by the EOS-M. But, once again, Canon proves they knows how to sell them cameras.

Well said. I stand by my prior assessment that the EOS-M is a gimmicky product that doesn't suit any of my needs, so I will therefore never own. That said, maybe, just maybe, companies like Canon conduct extensive market research to determine the demand for future products before bringing them to market? If message board tech heads were the real experts, than Canon would be on the verge of bankruptcy due to its stagnation in DR improvements.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »

Act444

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
The appeal of this camera for me is quite simple: I'm all about image quality. And the M takes DSLR quality and stuffs it into a P&S body. It has a non-intimidating appearance (with the 22mm), which matters in certain environments. The SD950IS I currently use as my compact camera is no longer cutting it, since the gap in IQ has widened considerably since making DSLR lens upgrades...and if I can't bring the DSLR (for whatever reason) I still want good quality shots. This is where the EOS M comes in.

I was underwhelmed with some test photos I saw online...but changed my mind as soon as I got one and took some pics. The (test) photos I've taken so far with the EOS M - I can't tell a difference between them and my 60D pics. They look like they came out of a DSLR. It's actually more of a testament to the surprisingly good quality of the 22mm kit lens than it is the camera itself given that its sensor is identical to the T4i (and therefore you'd expect high quality given a good lens).

My 270EX II fits the M quite well - it is maybe a little on the large side compared to the tiny 90EX, but it is far more powerful, it can tilt and bounce - and it is the same price. No-brainer for me (plus it's a great pocket flash for the 5DIII as well).

What I like:

- Size & weight:

With the 22mm it's small, JUST shy of being pocket-size.

When the situation matters, it doesn't draw attention/suspicion like a big DSLR would but is still able to deliver on quality.

- Ease of use: The camera is really fun to use. It's straightforward and intuitive - for the most part.

- High image quality: Photos are basically indistinguishable from my 60D shots...and I use L lenses, too.

- AF Points: Plenty of AF points (31) means more freedom of composition, and less cropping afterward (if you can get close enough).

What I don't like:

- AF Speed: The speed of AF seems to depend on what mode the camera is in. While it is adequate in single focus, center point mode, in other modes it will hunt on occasion...and when it hunts, it can sometimes take several seconds. So basically, this is not an action/sports camera at all. It is fine for still subjects and portraits. Having said that, it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be given how hard many folks on the internet were knocking it. It really is no worse than a Powershot camera if you're using the "FlexiZone-Single" focus mode.

- Lack of customization (compared to Canon's DSLRs): It would be nice to be able to customize the camera a little more- assign more buttons to functions (and not just the trash one). Perhaps change the layout of the touch screen based on how you use the camera.

Bottom Line:

I really like this camera so far. I'm still amazed at how a camera less than half the size of my 60D is able to match it in IQ. Of course, when it comes to photographing anything moving, faraway subjects, or low-light photography the DSLR will win every time. Can't wait to use it in a real-world situation (which will be in a couple of weeks).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:17:13 AM by Act444 »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:02:50 AM »
They’re not perfect for everyone, but they fit the bill for a lot of people.  It offers a reasonable level of capabilities and image quality.  It is significantly better than phones and most point and shoots.  In that price range, excluding DSLRs, it is difficult to say that anything else is “better”. And, if you already have some Canon lenses, it would be the logical choice for a small camera.  But personally, I’m holding off until version 2 with the EVF, improved battery life and bundled EF to EF-M adapter.

I noticed that someone said they were designed for women.  Well, they do make up half of the population.  But what's next - a camera designed for left handers?  The whole camera universe would implode. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:53 AM »
But what's next - a camera designed for left handers?

Get an Exakta. It is all left handed, including the film winder.  :=)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 01:46:47 AM »
The camera is aimed at women, and lots of women in Japan are enthusiastic photographers, so I'd expect it to be doing well in Japan.  Its about time that a high end camera was created that takes into account features that women want.

-1....Count me in when Canon has FF mirrorless. Hope they will have some decent pancake lenses. I DO NOT wish to mount my 24-70 or 70-200 on that mirrorless body.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:21:04 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 02:41:19 AM »
I'm glad it's doing so well; that's likely to inspire Canon to expand its mirrorless range sooner rather than later. Call me old fashioned, but I wouldn't contemplate serious photography on a camera without a proper viewfinder. And I'm perfectly happy if that happens to be a quality EVF.

When Canon deliver the mirrorless with EVF and snappin' AF I'm on board! In a heartbeat...

-PW

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:07 AM »
Hm i was wrong then i guess :P Why cant canon make a rangefinder?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 06:02:07 AM »

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 06:45:21 AM »
Very sad news.

I was hoping that people would ignore this camera, because it isn't full frame.

The EOS M is just another "I can too!"

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:46:57 AM by Ricku »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 07:37:04 AM »

That's exactly it, the Japanese especially love new things. 

Continuing the discussion ( ;)) - quite a number of people seem to want full frame.  I wonder how keen they'd be when they saw the size and price of the lenses! Really, this boils down to what you want the camera for and what compromises you are willing to accept.  If you're looking for a smaller, yet still very capable camera system to supplement your DSLR, then I'd suggest that you don't want full frame, as it adds size and cost whilst duplicating capabilities you already have. 

In some ways, this mirrors (pun noted!) the currently available systems.  I would suggest that Fuji's X-system is very much orientated at those who are looking to change from a DSLR based set-up to something more compact, rather than those who seek to supplement their DSLR with something smaller.  Hence why the X-series are physically larger and amongst the most expensive of the mirrorless cameras. 

DSLR                                 DSLR supplement                          point and shoot upgraders
replacement

X-Pro1 ------------- NEX-7, OMD EM5 ---------- GX-1, EP3 ----------- EPLx, GFx, Nikon 1

I'm not trying to suggest that there are any clear cut boundaries (nor was I trying to be comprehensive), just that there is a vague spectrum, upon which different cameras exist.   As you move further to the left on my spectrum, the more niche the product becomes.  Might I therefore also suggest that the further to the left a camera is, the less attractive it becomes to the mainstream manufacturers like Canon and Nikon. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 07:37:04 AM »