Gear Talk > Canon General

Canon USA Repair Service Update

<< < (2/3) > >>

dr croubie:
Any word as to whether the repair centre itself was damaged/flooded? That would be a huge insurance bill (and/or a lot of more repairs) if it were. Or is it just the power cuts?

kd2pm2:
I live 10 min away from the Jamesburg center and there is no damage.  Our area of NJ got wind with little rain so its more power lines that have to be repaired to get them back up and running.  I was out of power for 68 hours which is really not bad considering what everyone else along the coast is dealing with.  Jamesburg has an excellent 2 day turnaround. Just had my 20d and 17-85 there for cal and cleanup and was surprised how fast they called me back.

Be patient.  Once they get power back, all will be good in the world.

gkreis:

--- Quote from: dr croubie on November 02, 2012, 05:34:07 PM ---Any word as to whether the repair centre itself was damaged/flooded? That would be a huge insurance bill (and/or a lot of more repairs) if it were. Or is it just the power cuts?

--- End quote ---

I looked at the location on Google maps early on and it appears far enough inland that I doubt it was flooded. I suspect it is the power issue as the main concern.

gkreis:

--- Quote from: kd2pm2 on November 02, 2012, 11:11:08 PM ---I live 10 min away from the Jamesburg center and there is no damage.  Our area of NJ got wind with little rain so its more power lines that have to be repaired to get them back up and running.  I was out of power for 68 hours which is really not bad considering what everyone else along the coast is dealing with.  Jamesburg has an excellent 2 day turnaround. Just had my 20d and 17-85 there for cal and cleanup and was surprised how fast they called me back.

Be patient.  Once they get power back, all will be good in the world.

--- End quote ---

I can testify to their speed.  I was floored to see how fast my lens was returned.  It was so fast, that I wondered if they had really calibrated it with the body after the repair since the camera (needing no repair) wasn't returned at the same time.

I find the Canon service personnel to be very pleasant on the phone. My frustration is the 'wall' that goes up between the service center itself and the customer (no way to explain the issue in detail or get clarification or comfort that the problem is well understood), the lack of insurance for the shipped equipment (UPS won't let you add insurance to the pre-paid label according to the store) and the communication via snail mail.

If you send in an item, they send a letter back asking what you want to do.  This is 2012.  Letters?  They have my email address. Mail drags the process out. My lens was returned before the letter arrived!  ;-)

The explanation in the letter of what they propose and the cost estimate is very terse.  One sentence usually. No chance to clarify what they are proposing and the likelihood it will repair the problem. Yes or No. It just feels like you are part of the 'factory'.

Contrast that with taking a car in for repair. You talk with the mechanic, they call you with the estimate, you can discuss the strategy and then you get a call when it is ready.  Just replace the calls with email and you can have something just as interactive.

Cracker Jack:
My 5DmkIII just went into Jamesburg a few days before Sandy -- I had called earlier today to see if there was any new info and they were still saying the facility would not have power until Wednesday.

However!  I just got a call from a rep there to get more information about my issue.  They are up and running again.  They said they would have my camera headed back to me before week's end.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version