November 24, 2014, 09:23:23 AM

Author Topic: What is wrong with my settings?  (Read 5035 times)

YellowJersey

What is wrong with my settings?
« on: November 02, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »
So I calibrated my display (using an eye-one) and while I'm satisfied for photo editing and viewing, my internet seems to dull colours significantly, but only with certain photos. However, if I download the photos and view them (using irfanview) they look fine. Here are some screen caps showing this phenomenon along with my colour management settings.

canon rumors FORUM

What is wrong with my settings?
« on: November 02, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with my settings?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 07:53:44 PM »
Try Firefox and see if its better.  IE does not support icc profiles

YellowJersey

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 08:12:46 PM »
Try Firefox and see if its better.  IE does not support icc profiles

This is firefox. lol 

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 08:22:07 PM »
What's Ferrari's name for the color of the first car?  Perhaps "Mustard-fed stallion droppings"?  Probably not terribly poopular...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

TAF

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »
What's Ferrari's name for the color of the first car?  Perhaps "Mustard-fed stallion droppings"?  Probably not terribly poopular...

I suspect Ferrari has a nasty name for it, since that is a Lamborghini...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »

I suspect Ferrari has a nasty name for it, since that is a Lamborghini...

Oops.   :-[  That'll teach me to view images on my phone...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Have you noticed this anywhere apart from Facebook? I wouldn't be suprised if they do something funky with uploaded images to convert them all to the same colour profile for their face recognition and maybe don't handle some properly. I've never had results that bad but have noticed some photos I've posted there don't look as good as elsewhere.

Maybe the difference is some are converted from RAW and some are out of the camera or you process them a different way?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
The first one definitely has a yellow tinge. Also are these two separate shots or did you color the car?

YellowJersey

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 09:38:03 PM »
Have you noticed this anywhere apart from Facebook? I wouldn't be suprised if they do something funky with uploaded images to convert them all to the same colour profile for their face recognition and maybe don't handle some properly. I've never had results that bad but have noticed some photos I've posted there don't look as good as elsewhere.

Maybe the difference is some are converted from RAW and some are out of the camera or you process them a different way?

It's not just facebook, and it's not with every photo. Only some photos appear this way on my monitor when viewing them online  (and if I download the photo, then it looks fine).

The first one definitely has a yellow tinge. Also are these two separate shots or did you color the car?

I didn't take these. These are simply photos that a friend posted on facebook. It's only when viewing internet photos that this colour variation occurs.

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 10:00:57 PM »
looks like you need to replace your screen's magenta cartridge, should fix it right up. Maybe do a display-head alignment.

Ok haha but seriously, windows picture viewer was the only program that did this to me, and I thought windows was just junk(debatable) Until I got Lightroom 4 and it did the same thing. I changed my monitor's profile and it fixed it. Seems programs use color profiles all differently. Im not sure how your screen calibration works, but try picking a more generic display, and then calibrate to that?
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

DB

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 10:30:56 PM »
Based on your settings your Laptop has a built-in graphics card the Intel HD 4000 (not a very good one by the way - I deliberately avoided Intel HD 4000 and 5000 when I purchased a Toshiba Satellite for my son this summer) as opposed to a dedicated one, but anyway you need to check if the card or the screen is faulty when this issue arises -> so attach an external monitor to your laptop and run it either as duplicate or extended display (doesn't matter which).

If the problem persists on both screens, you either have a motherboard/card problem or a configuration problem, alternatively if the colour looks screwed up on your laptop whilst appearing fine on your external monitor (you can use a standard TV set as long as it has a VGA input socket) then your laptop LCD is the culprit.

You need to identify the real issue by a process of elimination first.

YellowJersey

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 10:35:45 PM »
Based on your settings your Laptop has a built-in graphics card the Intel HD 4000 (not a very good one by the way - I deliberately avoided Intel HD 4000 and 5000 when I purchased a Toshiba Satellite for my son this summer) as opposed to a dedicated one, but anyway you need to check if the card or the screen is faulty when this issue arises -> so attach an external monitor to your laptop and run it either as duplicate or extended display (doesn't matter which).

If the problem persists on both screens, you either have a motherboard/card problem or a configuration problem, alternatively if the colour looks screwed up on your laptop whilst appearing fine on your external monitor (you can use a standard TV set as long as it has a VGA input socket) then your laptop LCD is the culprit.

Is that still the case when the image looks fine when I download it and view it using irfanview? The dull colours only appear on certain photos when viewed online (using firefox). Firefox is the only programme that shows the colours like this, which leads me to believe it's some kind of settings or profile issue.

DB

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »

Is that still the case when the image looks fine when I download it and view it using irfanview? The dull colours only appear on certain photos when viewed online (using firefox). Firefox is the only programme that shows the colours like this, which leads me to believe it's some kind of settings or profile issue.

You can still test using 2 screens simultaneously - run external monitor as duplicate, but then change the display settings to a different profile on the external display - that way when your laptop runs Firefox you will see it on 2 different screens using different colour profiles at the same time. I run a multiple monitor PC setup and I can change any/all of the settings on either screen independently.

Or stop using Firefox and run Google Chrome, Safari or another browser

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »
I have a similar issue but only when I view images in windows pic viewer slideshow mode, the colors take on a dull and yellowish hue. Though I have never seen it change a red object to mustard!

When u say only some images, is it only in the red channel or is it affecting other colors too?

I would try google chrome, it's been consistent for me. Also try the external screen test. Most likely it's a graphics card issue. What kind of laptop do u have? HP ones are notoriously bad for overheating causing internal electrics to melt. Prob best to get it checked. Warranty?

Also sometimes after an update and restart the icc profile resets itself.

Although all signs point towards a hardware issue.

Have you checked your screen settings? Resolution, color space etc?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 11:27:05 PM by Zv »
6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

YellowJersey

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »
Ok, just plugged in a second monitor and the colours came out exactly the same way. Also tried Chrome, but to no avail.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 11:33:37 PM »