August 31, 2014, 06:32:49 AM

Author Topic: What is wrong with my settings?  (Read 4662 times)

junkwerks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with my settings?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »
Try creating a new user, log out of current profile, log in as new user and see if problem persists.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »

YellowJersey

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »
Try creating a new user, log out of current profile, log in as new user and see if problem persists.

Just did that... and it worked. New user created and the photos look fine. Now, how do I change my settings so that they match the new user's?

junkwerks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 12:36:25 AM »
Good question. I'm on iPad and can't see the pics you posted originally but I think you might be able to reset the video settings. If not I suspect something in your profile which is ugly. You might be able to hunt it down by looking around with show hidden files turned on. Problem is that corrupt settings in profile can be troublesome because you have to be careful of what you delete.

junkwerks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 12:44:31 AM »
See if this leads you closer. I know it's not quite the same but...
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/766707

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 12:58:20 AM »
Ok, just plugged in a second monitor and the colours came out exactly the same way. Also tried Chrome, but to no avail.
Unless I'm missing something why do you think it's your monitor or browser? When you view this page is one red and the other that mustard colour? We're also seeing the same using a variety of browsers and neuro mentioned he was using a phone as well so it seems to be something embedded in the image that doesn't play well with Facebook, especially if those samples are exactly the same image just uploaded to two places. It's not as though the colour is just a little bit out.

Edit - just realised you've done a screen capture to start with, which would have propagated the problem so that link above could be the answer. Maybe try viewing Facebook directly from a phone or different browser.

Plus edit 2 - sorry missed clicking on page 2 I was replying to page 1 and see things have progressed since.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:10:50 AM by PeterJ »

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 08:06:32 AM »
Your calibrator probably created an ICC v4 profile; Run it again with it set to create an ICC v2 profile and it should work better for you.  I had the exact same issue.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

Alrik89

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »
Based on your settings your Laptop has a built-in graphics card the Intel HD 4000 (not a very good one by the way

What a crap... The graphic card doesn't matter in case of photo editing.

@ topic: what kind of color profile do your pictures have? Is it sRGB?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 08:36:53 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
As I suspected as I read through this post, the problem turned out to be a color profile settings issue, NOT a problem with the hardware or graphics card.  I'm an IT guy by day and while Microsoft has put considerable work into trying to manage color profiles from the memory card to the printer, it is complex and hard to manage, esp when trying to find the thing that went wrong.  It is also dependent on many different entities writing drivers and software to contribute to the whole.

I'm not trying to offer a magic answer here or bash anything or anyone.  What I am saying is that most computer problems are rarely a problem with the hardware per se.  Color problems are almost always a settings problem in the OS or on the hardware itself.  Of course, if you bought a bargain basement LCD, it won't be possible to change the settings enough to offset the narrow limits of the display.  Like speakers on a stereo system, the LCD display is the biggest factor in how good your work looks on the screen.  It's NOT the video card, the computer, the OS or the graphics software.  So it doesn't matter if you use Lightroom, Aperture, Windows, Mac or Linux.

So I'll echo the previous post in saying that the graphics card is not a big factor for improving quality or performance.  And the Intel 4000 series graphics is fine for photo work.  Photo work is not gaming or 3D rendering.  It's 2D work.  I have a high end system and a decent video card and I still have a 2 second delay with images in Lightroom focusing and sharpening up.  It's a Lightroom 4 problem, NOT a problem with my system.  (It wasn't this bad until I upgraded from 3 to 4.)  I have a discreet video card for one reason, so I can have multiple displays better and easier.  Otherwise, I would spend that extra $100 on a better display, better lens, more coffee, whatever helps me more than wasting money on a fancy video card.

So set your hardware priorities right.  Get a midrange computer that is solid and reliable with RAID storage protecting your images and running the OS and photo software you use best.  Invest in a high quality IPS LCD and a color profile device for calibration and keep most of the Windows and hardware LCD settings at default.  Invest in backup drives and a good UPS to help prevent power related problems.  Don't buy a $300 graphics card only to get a cheaper LCD or blow off getting backup drives.  Don't buy the best i7 CPU with a smaller hard drive so you run out of space.

Oh, and don't forget that shooting pictures is still a LOT more fun than working at the computer!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Terry P

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »
I just had the same issue with a new monitor.  Assuming you are using a PC Windows 7 machine, go to All Programmes, control panel/ colour management/ then select the Advanced Tab at the top.  Then go to Change System defaults at the bottom, the screen opens the same screen in a new window, select the new calibration profile for your monitor, click the set as default profile at the botom, then close and close again for the original window and now your windows system will use your profile for everything.

Previously it would not use the profile for general applications which makes for annoying colour errors in some applications.

Hope that this resolves it for you.  It worked for me.

Terry

YellowJersey

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 06:50:36 PM »
YES! Fixed it!

I've been trying all the things that you guys have suggested, but to no avail. Then, I downloaded a firefox colour management add-on, set it to srgb, and it worked. Not sure exactly why it worked when everything else didn't, but now the problem is fixed, and I'm happy. :)

junkwerks

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 07:19:19 PM »
Great!  Just curious. How does chrome look?

AdamJ

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
Off topic - it's such a shame that Lamborghini ruined the Countach in its later versions. The original LP400 had such beautiful, uncorrupted lines but the final Anniversary model looked like it had been pimped by a 14-year old using a cheap body kit.

YellowJersey

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
Great!  Just curious. How does chrome look?

Haven't tried it in chrome... I don't usually use chrome. The add-on I have is only for firefox...

Off topic - it's such a shame that Lamborghini ruined the Countach in its later versions. The original LP400 had such beautiful, uncorrupted lines but the final Anniversary model looked like it had been pimped by a 14-year old using a cheap body kit.

I know, it was such a classic design.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »