Gear Talk > Third Party Manufacturers

Amazon.co.uk's D800 price is killing me!!!

(1/7) > >>

traveller:
[Here in the UK, we have to pay at least 20% more than in the USA (VAT), so please bear this in mind when I quote prices]

I really want a 5D MkIII and if the D800 were the same price, I would buy the Canon.  The problem for me is that the D800 is still very tempting and its price on the aforementioned website is £1907.64, compared to £2339.00 for the 5D MkIII (@ Camera World).  In fact the Canon is priced identically to the 'premium' D800e! The disparity in prices would go a long way to offsetting the cost of switching lenses...

I'm really not looking to start yet another 5D MkIII versus D800 debate, I just want some consolation  :'(

Please Canon, drop your price to match the D800 and my decision would be simple!!!

Dylan777:

--- Quote from: traveller on November 03, 2012, 10:27:08 AM ---[Here in the UK, we have to pay at least 20% more than in the USA (VAT), so please bear this in mind when I quote prices]

I really want a 5D MkIII and if the D800 were the same price, I would buy the Canon.  The problem for me is that the D800 is still very tempting and its price on the aforementioned website is £1907.64, compared to £2339.00 for the 5D MkIII (@ Camera World).  In fact the Canon is priced identically to the 'premium' D800e! The disparity in prices would go a long way to offsetting the cost of switching lenses...

I'm really not looking to start yet another 5D MkIII versus D800 debate, I just want some consolation  :'(

Please Canon, drop your price to match the D800 and my decision would be simple!!!

--- End quote ---

Want and need  are not the same. I want 1D X, but the price is too high. I would rather buy more glasses. But if I need 1D X, I will sell my 5D III and put that money toward to 1D X purchase ;) that's life

traveller:
You make a valid point, but how many of our purchasing decisions are based upon want rather than necessity?  If this were not the case, I suspect that I'd be living in a mud hut and getting up before dawn to milk the cows (instead of to photograph the dawn) ;)

Besides, I'm not bemoaning the fact these cameras are expensive, just that the Canon is 22.5% more expensive than the equivalent Nikon!

Canon-F1:
in germany the D800 is about 600 euros cheaper then the 5D MK3.

is the 5D MK3 worth 600 euro more? 

in my opinion the answer is a clear: NO

Mt Spokane Photography:
Prices of the body only might be deceiving, Nikoon does not come with the software that Canon supplies, and the very large files from the D800 are difficult and time consuming to process.  NR and Brush actions take much longer in LR than they do for the 5D MK III, so you might have to add the price of a new high end computer to the purchase.
Then, there is the lenses.  Nikon does not have a lens with the performance of the 24=105mmL, nor the 135mmL, nor the 100-400mmL, along with a few others.  They have announced a 70-200mm f/4 which will likely be good.
Another much missed fact is that Service can take a month or more (In the USA) while Canon usually takes around a week.
When you add all the prices up, it may not look like a better deal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version