October 20, 2014, 06:12:06 AM

Author Topic: Amazon.co.uk's D800 price is killing me!!!  (Read 8937 times)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon.co.uk's D800 price is killing me!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »
To the original OP, have you considered digitalrev? I know it's tempting me!

You pay more than the original prize in the UK when customs get their hands on the camera.

As you point out, you need to read the small print when considering Hong Kong imports, it generally goes

"...you will be considered the sole "Importer" of the product to your country for all purposes, including customs regulations and copyright and trademark laws."

Another source that you might consider is HDEW et al. A lot of people swear by them (they are a 'grey importer') and you can even pick your camera up from their shop in Surrey.  There are still the other concerns about warranties etc. that go with using unauthorized channels. 

My personal feeling is that if you're willing to spend two grand plus on a camera, a few hundred for peace of mind is worth it, but as our American friends like to say YMMV  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 03:34:56 PM »

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »
To the original OP, have you considered digitalrev? I know it's tempting me!

You pay more than the original prize in the UK when customs get their hands on the camera.

As you point out, you need to read the small print when considering Hong Kong imports, it generally goes

"...you will be considered the sole "Importer" of the product to your country for all purposes, including customs regulations and copyright and trademark laws."

Another source that you might consider is HDEW et al. A lot of people swear by them (they are a 'grey importer') and you can even pick your camera up from their shop in Surrey.  There are still the other concerns about warranties etc. that go with using unauthorized channels. 

My personal feeling is that if you're willing to spend two grand plus on a camera, a few hundred for peace of mind is worth it, but as our American friends like to say YMMV  ;D
I know you said your personal feeling was don't bother, but just to toss one out there, so to speak :)
Procamerashop (co.uk) are grey importers and you get the warranty from them, not Canon (but you should check their duration matches the manufacturer when it is >1 year). You're thus risking whether the MK III would go wrong in warranty and if it did, would the repair cost more than the difference between UK retailer and them. There's no issues with VAT & import duty...

I've used them 3 times without issue, always with a bank transfer and it has been seamless.

Current body only price is £1,956.99 vs their D800 price of £1,867.99. Direct bank transfer saves you 3% (so £1901), but there are people who are not prepared to do that with HK companies even with UK bank a/c - l've been fine. Google them if you're interested in pursing it. Camerapricebuster lists the closest as £2347.

Personally for all the stuff I've bought and the fact that I have been buying L lenses, then it's no different to when I went to the States back in 2007, spent a considerable amount on kit (I picked up my 500mm f/4 when it was <USD 7K and the exchange rate was just shy of 2:1) - the money I save went to a combination of extended warranty and into a savings a/c. To date, the only repairs I've needed are when I have been a little clumsy  :-[

Finally, I have no affinity to them...
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

Stu_bert

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 04:50:00 PM »
Alternatively, on the basis that the price has dropped £600 in 7 months (launch £3K, current £2350), maybe you just need to wait until Feb for it to be where the D800 is now  :D

If anyone knows why HK prices for Canon is closer to Nikon pricing, would be interested if it is more than local market conditions.... I'm just assuming that's why grey import price for the D800 is closer than 5D MK III
If life is all about what you do in the time that you have, then photography is about the pictures you take not the kit that took it. Still it's fun to talk about the kit, present or future :)

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
Digital rev now cover all import tax for UK buyers, which is why the products UK pound are more expensive than they were.

Add it to your basket. On the right hand under the price it says:

No Import Tax/Duty to Pay:
Any import tax/duty charged will
be billed directly us.

Sorted. I intend to buy my 5D MKIII there when I have enough, there are no negative reviews from UK buyers in over a year. Why pay £500 more for it in the UK and postage is free. I got my original 40D there some 5 years ago had no issue with customs. They offer a full year warranty with up to 5 year extra, this is based out of Hong Kong but send it back to the Surry office and all is sorted for you. Just as good as any other with a great reduction of cost.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 06:02:46 PM by tomscott »
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
Digital rev now cover all import tax for UK buyers, which is why the products UK pound are more expensive than they were.

be billed directly us.

Sorted. I intend to buy my 5D MKIII there when I have enough, there are no negative reviews from UK buyers in over a year. Why pay £500 more for it in the UK and postage is free. I got my original 40D there some 5 years ago had no issue with customs. They offer a full year warranty with up to 5 year extra, this is based out of Hong Kong but send it back to the Surry office and all is sorted for you. Just as good as any other with a great reduction of cost.

Looking at 5dIII BG11 600EX-RT bundle under 2500 from Digital Rev.     
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »

be billed directly us.

That's the thing about DigitalRev, I've hear lots of good experiences like yourself I've also heard the opposite that poeple have been hit with customs and that they are a bit naughty on the packaging. But they must do a lot of business into the UK and I'd have thought customs would be wise to them. Your quite correct about the statement on their web site. I hope UK prices do come down more but if not I guess I may be giving them a visit.

chasn

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
I have used HDEW and while they may import from HK or wherever you have no risk of import duty ( as they are UK based ) and they bolt on a three year warranty.  It may not be a full Canon warranty but I have had cause to rely on it with an earlier purchase and the camera was repaired quickly, no quibbles and well by what looks to be a reputable repair shop in Glasgow.  So only one experience but one satisfied customer here ( £2000 for a 5D III not too bad )

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »

Fishnose

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »
The Nikon 24-120mm VR and 80-400mm are also no where near as good as their Canon counterparts.  To me, that's a key point, because while UWA zooms, tilt-shifts, and uber-macro lenses are pretty esoteric, a standard zoom and a long telephoto zoom are two 'anchors' in a typical kit - having higher quality options for those is a big win for Canon.

The Nikon 24-120 VR is a tired old git.
But the Nikon 24-120 F/4 VRII is an exceptional lens.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
But the Nikon 24-120 F/4 VRII is an exceptional lens.

Hmmmm...

Quote from: photozone.de
So, in summary the lens combines solid build and very attractive specifications with just okayish performance in most regards. It's the combination of specs and features, not its optical performance, that will earn this lens its buyers nonetheless, especially since there is currently no alternative that offers a similarly attractive package.

You and Klaus seem to disagree on that point.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 02:03:53 AM »
[Here in the UK, we have to pay at least 20% more than in the USA (VAT), so please bear this in mind when I quote prices]

don't be so sure.. US prices are normally quoted without sales tax...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 02:21:43 AM »

be billed directly us.

I have bought a fair bit of stuff from digital rev
never had any kind of issue with them although these days I try to support a couple of local shops as much as possible if theirs stuff is not too much more i'll go local

they also have in their warranty that if you need to send it back they pay for the shipping both ways too
their service is pretty good (just dont try get a price from them over spring festival, chinese new year or any significant holiday :P )
APS-H Fanboy

pato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 03:50:51 AM »
Hey traveler, how about a visit in Switzerland? :)
The D800 body is currently priced at around 1700£ and the 5D Mark III is priced at 2050£, that includes Swiss tax. Ok, you would have to pay taxes again in the UK, but that's your risk.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I didn't realise that DigitalRev were now guaranteeing to pay duty and tax on purchases; that certainly makes their offer a lot more tempting...

I still find it a bit strange that the price difference on Canon imports is so much greater than for Nikon kit.  It's just not worth importing Nikon bodies, nor most of their lenses.  Perhaps this is part of Nikon's global strategy to stop grey imports (evidenced by their hard line on not repairing 'imported' equipment and refusing to supply parts to independant service centres)?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 04:44:41 AM »

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 06:16:34 AM »
Its worth noting that the camera will come with a chinese fit recharger. So you have to factor in either a replacement for your country of origin or buy an adapter.

Small pain but for the £500+ saving on the 5DMKIII kit its worth it IMO.
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »
I have used HDEW and while they may import from HK or wherever you have no risk of import duty ( as they are UK based ) and they bolt on a three year warranty.  It may not be a full Canon warranty but I have had cause to rely on it with an earlier purchase and the camera was repaired quickly, no quibbles and well by what looks to be a reputable repair shop in Glasgow.  So only one experience but one satisfied customer here ( £2000 for a 5D III not too bad )

Hi Chasn

I'd be interested to know the name of that repair shop?
If you don't want to broadcast it please PM me

Regards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »