August 01, 2014, 10:36:11 AM

Poll

After EOS 1DX's trashing of D4 and 5D Mark III's victory over D800, will 6D destroy D600 for a complete FF sweep?

Definitely, Canon will keep the streak and have a complete sweep!
May be, it is going to be a toss up
Not likely, because 6D is far behind in specs
Definitely not, D600 is going to destroy 6D and halt Canon's momemtum!
WTF are you smoking? It is Canon which is getting destroyed in FF.

Author Topic: [Poll] Canon Reign Supreme Again?  (Read 16672 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Canon Reign Supreme Again?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »
After EOS 1DX's trashing of D4 and 5D Mark III's victory over D800, will 6D destroy D600 for a complete FF sweep?

Hmm. I had to chuckle when I read this.

When the actual (not rumored) DxO scores for the 1DX came out, it turned out that the D4 has a better sensor after all.
Both the D800 and D600 have better sensors than the 5DIII as well.

So, not seeing how Canon is trashing Nikon. It's actually the opposite.

Also, the quarterly results for the last quarter show that Nikon's sales are up, while Canon's sales are down.
Again, how is Canon trashing Nikon when Nikon is gaining market share and Canon is losing???

I'm a Canon shooter, who has spent thousands of $$$ on Canon gear.
I find Canon's recent products very disappointing, since they are either underspec'd or overpriced ... or both.

So, at this time I'm actually very glad that Nikon is trashing Canon.
Maybe someone at Canon's headquarters will finally take notice.

Nikon SLR  sales whent  up with 24%  but they are not big as Canon yet
nuolla ja kylmän teräksen, jos se on miinus 42 astetta
Jukka

Nikon net income dropped  36.5% in the last quarter.  You have indeed had too much Vodka. The figures in parentheses are negative, a reduction!
http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/index.htm
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:25:21 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 10:22:31 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:58 PM »
Here I was thinking optical physics and financial notation convention were different in Finland. Vodka explains all...   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2012, 11:30:03 PM »
Nikon net income dropped  36.5% in the last quarter.  You have indeed had too much Vodka. The figures in parentheses are negative, a reduction!

Why must you people keep bringing up these inconvenient and well-documented facts? Oh well, I have faith that Nikon with ride it's DR advantage all the way to a profitable Q1 in 2013, because the massive hoards of landscape shooters disgruntled with Canon sensors are finally going to come out to the camera stores in droves.

PackLight

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 12:14:18 AM »

Why must you people keep bringing up these inconvenient and well-documented facts? Oh well, I have faith that Nikon with ride it's DR advantage all the way to a profitable Q1 in 2013, because the massive hoards of landscape shooters disgruntled with Canon sensors are finally going to come out to the camera stores in droves.

You should bet on Zeiss to because that is where the disgruntled Canon landscapers will have to go to get a decent lens for there new Nikon.

davidson

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 01:39:47 AM »
ok so the OP asked which CAMERAS are better and some people decide to bring up dxo numbers....i think this illustrates the problem that alot of people have with this fanatical adherence to dxo scores, their scores are about sensors only (not talking about whether the scores are accurate or not). they do not score, ergonomics, AF or a plethora of other things that matter. just saying that the post is not about dxo scores or who has the best sensor...its about the best CAMERA, just saying. i dont see why i should need my flame suit, but its slung over my shoulder just in case.

jocau

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 06:21:48 AM »
Sensor-wise Canon is getting crushed by Nikon/Sony/Pentax. No doubt about it. It's about time they bring out new DSLRs with competitive sensors, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
550D | 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | 50mm F/1.8 II | 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »
Sensor-wise Canon is getting crushed by Nikon/Sony/Pentax. No doubt about it. It's about time they bring out new DSLRs with competitive sensors, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

The 'market' buys cameras not sensors. Market share-wise Nikon/Sony/Pentax are getting crushed by Canon. 

But...crushed?  If we believe DxOMark Scores as gospel (meaning we care about DR and color depth only at ISO 100, and we reduce all of our images to 8 MP), then a 13-14 point difference means less than a 1 stop advantage.  That's crushing?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 07:38:48 AM »

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »
in 2 full quarters nikon has not been capable of doing the 1/2 of profit that canon did in 1 one bad quarter.

maybe the would release more cameras and increase the DR on sensors ahaha
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

jocau

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 09:21:15 AM »

The 'market' buys cameras not sensors. Market share-wise Nikon/Sony/Pentax are getting crushed by Canon. 

But...crushed?  If we believe DxOMark Scores as gospel (meaning we care about DR and color depth only at ISO 100, and we reduce all of our images to 8 MP), then a 13-14 point difference means less than a 1 stop advantage.  That's crushing?

The D800 is almost 3 stops better than the 5D3 @ ISO100 (DR). Considering that each stop extra, is the same as "twice as much", I call the difference HUGE. Let's go out and buy a car. Your budget is 30.000 euro and mine is approximately 90.000 euro. Let's see who will have the nicest car... And up to (and including) ISO400 the difference is still at least 1 stop. So yeah I call that "being crushed".

The only part where Canon really kicks ass imo (except for lenses) is their autofocus system. But this is only true for their 2 most expensive cameras i.e. 5D3 and 1Dx (only talking about their current camera lineup). Don't get me wrong. I like Canon a lot (held a D7000 in my hands recently and I didn't like the grip at all), but it makes me sad to see how bad their sensors are compared to the sensors of the competition.
550D | 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | 50mm F/1.8 II | 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
Considering that each stop extra, is the same as "twice as much", I call the difference HUGE. Let's go out and buy a car. Your budget is 30.000 euro and mine is approximately 90.000 euro. Let's see who will have the nicest car...

With 2.7 stops (base-2 exponents), your budget would be closer to 195,000 € compared to my 30,000 €.  That means you could pay for a Ferrari...but in this analogy, you'd be getting the Ferrari engine with the transmission and suspension of a Ford.  Might make for a bumpy ride.  :P

MartinvH

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 10:08:27 AM »
So typical for this site is that most people here are just looking at 'written' specs and rarely at real world results and comparisons.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »

The D800 is almost 3 stops better than the 5D3 @ ISO100 (DR). Considering that each stop extra, is the same as "twice as much", I call the difference HUGE. Let's go out and buy a car. Your budget is 30.000 euro and mine is approximately 90.000 euro. Let's see who will have the nicest car... And up to (and including) ISO400 the difference is still at least 1 stop. So yeah I call that "being crushed".

The only part where Canon really kicks ass imo (except for lenses) is their autofocus system. But this is only true for their 2 most expensive cameras i.e. 5D3 and 1Dx (only talking about their current camera lineup). Don't get me wrong. I like Canon a lot (held a D7000 in my hands recently and I didn't like the grip at all), but it makes me sad to see how bad their sensors are compared to the sensors of the competition.

Maybe you're right, Canon cannot compete at low ISO with noise and DR.  But Nikon cannot compete at high ISO with Canon, not even close.  This aspect is much, much more important to myself, being a sports photographer.  Everyone has different needs.  Sensor tech lower?  Okay, but in real-life I choose not to buy the D4 simply because I get a much higher keeper rate with the 1D X.  The argument has to go both ways.  I understand that low ISO and DR are much, much more important to others.  Why is it okay that Nikon doesn't compete at high ISO but not okay that Canon doesn't compete at low ISO?  They both lack one or the other.  And please I cannot take another chart.  The D4 vs. 1DX issue has already been tested in the field thoroughly in real-life.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

jocau

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
Considering that each stop extra, is the same as "twice as much", I call the difference HUGE. Let's go out and buy a car. Your budget is 30.000 euro and mine is approximately 90.000 euro. Let's see who will have the nicest car...

With 2.7 stops (base-2 exponents), your budget would be closer to 195,000 € compared to my 30,000 €.  That means you could pay for a Ferrari...but in this analogy, you'd be getting the Ferrari engine with the transmission and suspension of a Ford.  Might make for a bumpy ride.  :P

Little price miscalculation on my side... Well that would mean an Audi R8 vs a BMW 316i. Still a HUGE difference. :p

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 10:24:17 AM »
Little price miscalculation on my side... Well that would mean an Audi R8 vs a BMW 316i. Still a HUGE difference. :p

But still just the engine. Maybe some people base car buying decisions solely on engine horsepower and torque specs.  I'm not one of them, which is why DxOMark has little meaning to me.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »

Just the engine. Not the drive train or suspension or cab or anything else. Perfect to rev up in the garage or on a runway. Lousy on real world roads.

:)
Truth be told, this is just one of those Canon vs. Nikon things... Just that my hammer is better than your hammer  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »