August 21, 2014, 08:59:38 AM

Author Topic: Canon 1D MKIV To 1DX  (Read 6276 times)

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Canon 1D MKIV To 1DX
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »
How many of you guys here have upgraded to the Canon 1DX from the 1D MKIV and never regretted it?And why?
Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 1D MKIV To 1DX
« on: November 04, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1D MKIV To 1DX
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:30:37 AM »
I'll be upgrading AND keeping the 1D4. I love this camera and value the APS-H sensor.
Other than APS-H, the only significant thing I'll miss from the 1D4 is the illuminated red AF points.

But it's the sheer power of the AF that is a prime attraction of the 1DX for the way I work. After working for a few months with the 5D3 I think I have some reality on the AF capabilities of the 1DX. Plenty of others have had very high expectations and not been disappointed.

-PW

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 03:08:02 AM »
I'll keep it very short, because I could ramble on about this Neo Anderson of cameras for days.

I have neverever even for one second regretted the upgrade. If one thought the mk4 was a big upgrade over the 1d3, you'd be blown away over this upgrade.

Why I love it: Fullframe with superior fps AND the best af ever, not just 90% good, but in many cases 100% hitrate.
The layout, the vf, the grip and feel. But most of all the metering and general image quality. Noise is almost not visible at normal size print at any value under 25600 iso.

What I don't like is poor battery, keep at least two! The new iso button.., too small and weirdly placed. And from what I have found, or not found, the ability to spread the bracketed images on the ev scale with the small wheel and move the whole scale with the rear wheel, like I could on the mk4.

Very small minuslist and about battery, if you hold the button down in a soccermatch I've seen people get 5000 images on a battery but I get around 1100 images, and compare that to the mk3 where I got 3000 easily and you see my point.

1d x THE perfect camera for me, you get so many fantastic moments you just don't get with anything else. Yes one can time the perfect moment and not "need" 12 fps, but not if the AF can't keep up, and with 12 fps you have 12 perfect moments you have never seen in just one second, pretty frikkin' awesome..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:11:19 AM by Viggo »
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

AdamJ

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 03:33:39 AM »
How many of you guys here have upgraded to the Canon 1DX from the 1D MKIV and never regretted it?And why?
Thanks.

You've been asking these one-line quiz questions about the 1DX since July, without ever responding to or thanking the people who replied. In August, you even asked where you could get a screen protector for the 1DX.  ???

Just buy the damned camera!

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 07:42:55 AM »
Thanks.

You've been asking these one-line quiz questions about the 1DX since July, without ever responding to or thanking the people who replied. In August, you even asked where you could get a screen protector for the 1DX.  ???

I thought I recognized the nick! LOL !

And yeah, just buy the damn camera already!!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »
Thanks.

If you read all the threads that I have started,I always end it with "Thanks."In regards to buying a 1DX,I have done it already a couple of months ago.

AdamJ

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »
Thanks.

If you read all the threads that I have started,I always end it with "Thanks."In regards to buying a 1DX,I have done it already a couple of months ago.

Saying "thanks" at the end of your question isn't the same as acknowledging those who actually answer your questions, which is a common courtesy.

Also, you never provide any context for your questioning. Wrongly or rightly, it is very easy to infer from this question, just like all your previous questions, that you don't already have a 1DX. Indeed, it's hard to understand the point of this question from a current 1DX owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 10:25:14 AM »

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 06:21:09 AM »
Thanks.

Saying "thanks" at the end of your question isn't the same as acknowledging those who actually answer your questions, which is a common courtesy.

Also, you never provide any context for your questioning. Wrongly or rightly, it is very easy to infer from this question, just like all your previous questions, that you don't already have a 1DX. Indeed, it's hard to understand the point of this question from a current 1DX owner.

Okay.Got you.My Apologies.

AdamJ

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
I'm sure we all accept your apology - and it was big of you to give it.

Context for questions is good. Throw us a contextual bone next time.

Peace.

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »
I'm sure we all accept your apology - and it was big of you to give it.

Context for questions is good. Throw us a contextual bone next time.

Peace.

Forgive the ignorance but what is a contextual bone?
Thanks.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:20:29 AM »
Thanks.

Means add come context to the question, for example with this thread, if this were the case, maybe starting out by saying you have both a 1D IV and a 1D X and are wondering if you should keep the 1DIV, and what others who've made the switch from 1DIV to 1D X did/thought.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Secretariat

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 09:53:11 AM »
Thanks.

Means add come context to the question, for example with this thread, if this were the case, maybe starting out by saying you have both a 1D IV and a 1D X and are wondering if you should keep the 1DIV, and what others who've made the switch from 1DIV to 1D X did/thought.

Thanks for the information.

PackLight

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »
Thanks.

I bought it and sent the 1D X back. The camera has many problems. For one thing I do not think it is natural to be able to take pictures at such a high ISO. God made noise to be viewed as noise. We shouldn't tamper with that. Also I miss the 3mp drop from the old 1Ds III. When pixel peeping at 300x on my 30" monitor I can really start to see the lack of resolution and this bugs me. The high frame rate sounds great in theory, and the improved AF system but together they create  more work. Several years ago it was very easy to sort out the non keepers from the keepers, they were obvious. With the 1D X I would have to sort through hundreds of near identical pictures that are equally in focus. I could have lived with one of these problems, but taking all of them together I decided to send the 1D X back.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
The high frame rate sounds great in theory, and the improved AF system but together they create  more work. Several years ago it was very easy to sort out the non keepers from the keepers, they were obvious. With the 1D X I would have to sort through hundreds of near identical pictures that are equally in focus.

+1.  It sucks having pretty much every shot be a keeper.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bdunbar79

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »
Thanks.

I bought it and sent the 1D X back. The camera has many problems. For one thing I do not think it is natural to be able to take pictures at such a high ISO. God made noise to be viewed as noise. We shouldn't tamper with that. Also I miss the 3mp drop from the old 1Ds III. When pixel peeping at 300x on my 30" monitor I can really start to see the lack of resolution and this bugs me. The high frame rate sounds great in theory, and the improved AF system but together they create  more work. Several years ago it was very easy to sort out the non keepers from the keepers, they were obvious. With the 1D X I would have to sort through hundreds of near identical pictures that are equally in focus. I could have lived with one of these problems, but taking all of them together I decided to send the 1D X back.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 11:56:07 AM »