October 25, 2014, 07:27:08 AM

Author Topic: Canon 1D MKIV To 1DX  (Read 6550 times)

Diko

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 1D MKIV To 1DX
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
PackLight and other that have the same issue - please SEND that damn work maker 1DX to ME! ;-)

12 frames = 100% keepers. Gee! Sekretariat - if you intend to return it. Please let me know: I will buy it from you ;-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
How many of you guys here have upgraded to the Canon 1DX from the 1D MKIV and never regretted it?And why?
Thanks.

I bought it and sent the 1D X back. The camera has many problems. For one thing I do not think it is natural to be able to take pictures at such a high ISO. God made noise to be viewed as noise. We shouldn't tamper with that. Also I miss the 3mp drop from the old 1Ds III. When pixel peeping at 300x on my 30" monitor I can really start to see the lack of resolution and this bugs me. The high frame rate sounds great in theory, and the improved AF system but together they create  more work. Several years ago it was very easy to sort out the non keepers from the keepers, they were obvious. With the 1D X I would have to sort through hundreds of near identical pictures that are equally in focus. I could have lived with one of these problems, but taking all of them together I decided to send the 1D X back.

I always likes a good funny :D
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
Hey if you want to buy another MK IV I will sell you mine...has less than 15,000 actuations and is absolutely like new...I bought the 1Dx and have been smiling ever since....I am serious about selling the Mk IV by the way.....

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 05:30:53 PM »
How many of you guys here have upgraded to the Canon 1DX from the 1D MKIV and never regretted it?And why?
Thanks.

I bought it and sent the 1D X back. The camera has many problems. For one thing I do not think it is natural to be able to take pictures at such a high ISO. God made noise to be viewed as noise. We shouldn't tamper with that. Also I miss the 3mp drop from the old 1Ds III. When pixel peeping at 300x on my 30" monitor I can really start to see the lack of resolution and this bugs me. The high frame rate sounds great in theory, and the improved AF system but together they create  more work. Several years ago it was very easy to sort out the non keepers from the keepers, they were obvious. With the 1D X I would have to sort through hundreds of near identical pictures that are equally in focus. I could have lived with one of these problems, but taking all of them together I decided to send the 1D X back.

Thanks PackLight! Wow, I had not considered this very awkward aspect of the 1DX. Too high a "keeper" rate means editing & post-pro hell. I think I'll just switch AF off altogether, super-glue the drive setting to one-shot and enjoy the hugely reduced PP.

-PW

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »
Thanks.

Thanks PackLight! Wow, I had not considered this very awkward aspect of the 1DX. Too high a "keeper" rate means editing & post-pro hell. I think I'll just switch AF off altogether, super-glue the drive setting to one-shot and enjoy the hugely reduced PP.

-PW

Switch to Nikon?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

PackLight

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
Thanks.

-PW

Switch to Nikon?

That is an option. A buddy of mine that has a D800 asked me about my keeper rate and was telling me his rate was about 30% on moving objects. That would take care of the PP problem, and the higher resolution would help with the 300x pixel peeping as long as I had a good Zeiss lens to put on it. But, Nikon has flaws, who needs an increased dynamic range? I don't want any more detail in the shadows, they need to remain dark. Does a person really want to see what might have been lurking in the shadows while he was taking his pictures? I don't, that is scary to me, far more scary than taking pictures at high ISO's without noise.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:48 PM »
-PW

Errm...this was supposed to be a humorous response to PackLight's post which I took to be satirical.

If I'm going to have a problem, I like high quality problems. Like the problem of choosing the keepers when every shot is sharp and correctly exposed. That's a nice problem!

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:48 PM »

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 11:51:32 PM »
So I have the 5D3.  What about your experience with the upgrade?

How does your "hit rate" compare between the cameras?

Thanks.

I'll be upgrading AND keeping the 1D4. I love this camera and value the APS-H sensor.
Other than APS-H, the only significant thing I'll miss from the 1D4 is the illuminated red AF points.

But it's the sheer power of the AF that is a prime attraction of the 1DX for the way I work. After working for a few months with the 5D3 I think I have some reality on the AF capabilities of the 1DX. Plenty of others have had very high expectations and not been disappointed.

-PW
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
Thanks.

I just love your sense of humour and  had a really good chuckle!!

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »
Secretariat is a gatherer not a thanker. He got the apology but not the thanks for input part. You are halfway there buddy.  ::)
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 03:42:44 PM »