Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Stills

1Dx ISO100 high DR shadows SNR improvement

(1/17) > >>

Neutral:
One of the weak sides of the 1Dx is noise   in deep shadows at base ISO.
It seems that nobody is arguing about that any more.
 DXO 1Dx measurement results also show that very clearly on their measurement curves.
And I believe that nobody would be arguing that performance in this area is very critical for not just few people but for many people  - for landscape photography, evening/night  city shots and other sort of photography.
Though it is easy to argue that that Nikon D800 would be the better choice BUT why not to see how we could get better deep shadow SNR from 1Dx.
In one of my posts I mentioned that 1Dx has a very nice feature that could be used for that.
I will not name it now (will do at SOME next post) but here is some magic - example how it works (snapshots from LR screen - noise reduction is totally disabled  )
1.  First image shows 1dX  shot at IS100  with EV=(-3)   the Data Color noise calibration chart  which was  used  for Noise Ninja NR S/W and PS plug-in. Shot  with  manual Out of Focus  to blur target texture so it would not interfere with noise
2. Second one is the same with Exposure slider in LR set to +3  - looks the same as normal shot with EV=0
3. Third  image is 200% crop  of shot with EV=0 showing normal 1Dx ISO shadow noise
4. Fourth one is 200% crop of the EV=-3 shot with LR exposure set to +3 to raise shadows to normal level.
     Level of 1Dx noise at ISO100 at  -3 EV shadows is very clearly seen

And next post is  little bit of magic  - the similar EV=(-3) shoot from 1Dx  recovered in LR - 200% crop  to see the difference  in SNR for random nose with the previous shot.

Neutral:
OK, now is 200% crop of the similar EV=(-3) shoot from 1Dx  using some  special shooting  method  with 1Dx . 
Shadows are recovered in LR with Exposure slider set to +3 to compensate for in camera EV =(-3) . No noise reduction in LR.
Note how SNR for random noise was improved.

So we have almost two stops  improvement here  for random noise SNR.
This means that with normal exposure it is possible to successfully recover details in very deep shadows at ISO100.
We still  see some slight pattern noise on the image but I believe that there is some NR software that doing very well with reducing pattern  noise - might be Topaz  De-noise  but not very sure  as I do not have that.
  If all combined together with some special shooting method with 1Dx  it  is possible to get shadow SNR  on par with Nikon D800.
So now quiz - how this was done?

victorwol:
No clue, but would be nice if you can share it. It's very interesting for sure.

neuroanatomist:
The suspense isn't killing me.   ::)  But feel free to share, when you're ready...

Viggo:
Bring it on!  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version