Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

Can we all send a complaint to Canon to fix the AF-Assist focusing on the 5D3?

<< < (2/17) > >>

zim:
Thanks for the info Ray
2 - 5 seconds!!!! I can manual focus quicker than that. Maybe the tape from the light leak fix is interfering with AF assist  :o :o
For me that's getting on for not fit for purpose. I look forward to seeing if/how this is addressed

pwp:

--- Quote from: zim on November 05, 2012, 08:38:30 AM ---How much slower? Is it possible to put a time or percentage against this?
I have to admit I was unaware of this issue. I want to get a 5D3 next year but I will absolutly be using it in low light flash situations, off camera lighting not an option. Is this a show stopper?

--- End quote ---

It's not a show stopper, but certainly something to be aware of if your work involves shooting with flash in very low light venues. The other significant slowdown factor with the 5D3 in very dark shooting environments is the non-illuminated AF points. So while hunting & waiting for AF, you've got to somehow keep track of your black focus point. In a situation where people are moving even slightly, the black AF points and the slow AF adds to the degradation of the spontaneity that is so vital in event photography.

But lets be clear. This scenario only kicks in when you're shooting in very low light locations. Just about everywhere else, the 5D3 AF is just fantastic.

-PW

RayValdez360:

--- Quote from: zim on November 05, 2012, 04:18:57 PM ---Thanks for the info Ray
2 - 5 seconds!!!! I can manual focus quicker than that. Maybe the tape from the light leak fix is interfering with AF assist  :o :o
For me that's getting on for not fit for purpose. I look forward to seeing if/how this is addressed

--- End quote ---
I wish I could manually focus in the dark. LOL

DB:
Get a Yongnuo YN565 flash instead - AF assist light is very effective - and won't look out of place in a Nightclub (if you've ever used one you'll know what I mean ;))

dr croubie:
Does this happen also with Live-view Contrast-detect?
Normally contrast-detect is a lot slower than phase for most situations, but maybe it's an answer?
(yes, i know holding a camera at arms' length instead of to your face doesn't look as 'professional' but if it gets the job done...)

Or, seeing as you're using flash anyway, how about just a near-enough-MF and f/11?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version