August 21, 2014, 06:43:04 PM

Author Topic: Can we all send a complaint to Canon to fix the AF-Assist focusing on the 5D3?  (Read 22565 times)

PeterJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
Check page 77 of the manual. There is a mention of this, I think:

* With Single-Point Spot AF, focusing with the Speedlite's AF-Assist beam may be difficult
* If the camera cannot focus with the EOS-dedicated Speedlite's AF-Assist beam, set the AF area selection mode to Single-Point AF (Manual Selection) and select the center AF point to focus.

This sucks
Remember that the 5D2 didn't have single point spot AF. I haven't done enough flash work with my 5D3 yet to comment decisively but the 7D didn't cope well in that mode either. I'm wondering if a lot of the complaints are 5D2 single-point users that have gone to single-point spot and find it doesn't work as well?

From the limited amount I've done so far I've been using AF point expansion and all is fine, and most of the time it's the center selected point that locks which would have been same result as a 5D2, or otherwise have got the shot on better contrast on an edge point and has all been good.

canon rumors FORUM

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
OK thanks for the info on the Yongnuo YN565 being able to take an external battery pack. Good! That ticks one more box.

But can anyone verify whether the Yongnuo YN565 spits out an AF Assist beam that makes the 5D3 AF more reliable at very low light venues than the Canon 580EXII & 600EX-RT?

-PW

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The squeaky wheel gets the grease I suppose.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Paul caught the current unknown in this thread:
Has anyone been able to compare the assisted AF (in near dark conditions) of the YN565 to any of the Canon units?

I'd love to see the comparison include 550EX units as well as 580EX(classic and II) as I am alternatives I am also considering these older flashes. The 550EX took a battery pack, which I consider a real plus. One of the contributors here, V8Beast, has had good experiences with these older units in the field and they hope that they offer the benefit of sturdier construction than the Yongnuos.

Near dark shooting with YN565? YN568? Anyone?

jonathan7007

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
It makes you wonder how extensive the testing is at Canon,

"Did you test the camera with a speedlite?"

R&D "Erm"

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
I've found that if you half press the shutter button and wait for the AF  light to and point to flash, it takes 3 sec or more.  However, if I just press the shutter button down all the way, it focuses in about 1 second or less and fires with perfectly sharp focus.
It does this regardless of AF-Assist or not.  So, if you are waiting for the AF- Assist to stop flashing to take the image, just press and hold the shutter button.  It fires as soon as focus is reached rather than delaying another 2-3 seconds before the focus points light up.

gilmorephoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Gilmore Photography
I've found that if you half press the shutter button and wait for the AF  light to and point to flash, it takes 3 sec or more.  However, if I just press the shutter button down all the way, it focuses in about 1 second or less and fires with perfectly sharp focus.
It does this regardless of AF-Assist or not.  So, if you are waiting for the AF- Assist to stop flashing to take the image, just press and hold the shutter button.  It fires as soon as focus is reached rather than delaying another 2-3 seconds before the focus points light up.

Good to know.  Thanks!
5D3 | 24-70mm EF f2.8L II | 40mm EF f/2.8 | 100mm EF f/2.8L | 600EX-RT | ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

RayValdez360

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile

I hope this is true for most situations. Everyone pleasure try this!

Mehmetski

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
I've shot the first clubgig with the 5dIII this weekend. The combo was 5DIII+24-70II+580EXII and the lag with the AF beam is really terrible. I've used Single Point AF and AF Expansion throughout the night with usually the center AF points selected, the outer edges weren't event doable. For still subjects it was OK and not that very frustrating but when you want to capture that spontaneous moment in which you require almost instant focus, it just can't deliver.
The funny thing is if you disable the AF-Beam on camera than it focuses much much faster!

kpk1

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
And I thought that I'm the only one with this problem.
Here too, 5D3 with 600EX-RT focuses slower in the dark with the AF beam.
The rule with full shutter press is working but still anoying, when 5D2 focuses faster in the same conditions with the same 600EX.
So dear Canon could you just upgrade this instead of the price I paid ?
5D2, Sigy 35/1.4

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
wow guys great news!! please sign up to the Canon Forums! it looks like they are listening amazing!!

I posted up there and it seemed to be working!

here is the link, please please do your best to reply,

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/5D3-AF-assist-beam-slower-focus/td-p/2277

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
Great start!  I really hope that Mike the product expert can do more than just provide an SME presence on the forum to assist with understanding and using the equipment.  He needs to be able to influence or at least inform the individuals that can apply resources to address this issue, and not just talk about it.

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
BTW -- I received this statement from from Canon sales/product support, when I asked specifically about the 5D3 utilization of the flash AF asssist, and if the 6D suffered from the same malady:

"... the camera does support the AF Assist Beam from the flash, so the EOS 6D should work the same as well."

interesting...

canon rumors FORUM

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
FYI the Yongnuo ST-E2 copy AF beam works really well on the 5Dmk3 for AF assist only however the problem is it doesnt work in the role of acually firing the flash it would seem something is out in the sync timing
APS-H Fanboy

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography

I noticed this too but never really paid attention until I read this. Seems to work.

canon rumors FORUM