November 26, 2014, 07:45:31 PM

Author Topic: Nikon Sales Rising  (Read 9655 times)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Nikon Sales Rising
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »
Apparently, Nikon sales is rising.

http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_library/result/index.htm

Do we have any figures on Canon's sales?  I know Nikon market share is still below that of Canon but I hope Canon do something with it not only on the marketing side but also on the technology side.

canon rumors FORUM

Nikon Sales Rising
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
Re: Nikon Sales Rising
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:57:48 AM »
I would rather see Nikon do well than go out of business.

heptagon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 03:29:21 AM »
Are Canon cameras still outselling Nikon cameras 10:1?

Canon-F1

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:58 AM »
no suprise.

if i would start new today i probably would buy nikon too.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 03:37:27 AM by Canon-F1 »

NormanBates

• Canon 7D MK II
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 04:22:29 AM »
so there you go: Canon has sales and profits going down, and can't blame the slow world economy

I would bet on greedy pricing, or, if you want to look at it from the other side, increased competition (and lack of a response to that)

but it's not like the other camp should be feeling a lot better: sales are up, but profit is down (which is to be expected when you price your goods a bit too aggressively)

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:49:50 AM »
so there you go: Canon has sales and profits going down, and can't blame the slow world economy

I would bet on greedy pricing, or, if you want to look at it from the other side, increased competition (and lack of a response to that)

but it's not like the other camp should be feeling a lot better: sales are up, but profit is down (which is to be expected when you price your goods a bit too aggressively)

Yup that's true, but I'm guessing that aggressive pricing also tends to attract customers both new and those who are switching.  In business, sometimes you think of performance in the long run.  I know there's some switching going on since whenever I go to photography trading sites, I can see some people offering their Canon gear for trade for equivalent Nikon products.  I just hope that Canon notices it so that Canon users like us will get better prices and better technology.

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:57:31 AM »
The reason imo are:

1. very poor RD and as an effect-no real development in camera sensors. To be honest-there are no new products,only corrected or improved to catch market standard (competition)
2. very very high price, not corresponding with quality (sensors) and competition's offer
3. canon is now only driven by accountants and marketing guys.
4. The company strongly believes that loyal customers who already own canon and invested hard in some gear will stay loyal and put more money into the company's wallet.
5. A lot of users buy ie. 5d3 cause a previous model lacks a lot of basics (AF) not because a new one has such a great features. Maybe the 5d4 will have a slightly better DR, no banding, higher x-sync-things which are already provided on the other side of the fence. I know that someone can say that the grass is always greener there, however I checked two sides and that's my opinion

IMHO Canon  pulls the wool over its clients eyes.People are not stupid and don't like to be cheated somehow. People care about their money. I do not see any real improvement and the company does not make me feel it will strongly develop in future, on the other hand, they demand in a greedy way. If had to start from scratch I would definitely go for Nikon now. ( I have already switched to Canon and really regret the decision). Now I just do want to loose my money but I feel that will be my final decision. Moreover I have a lot of problems with my gear since the purchase, so far service did not help me or exchange body to one which works properly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:03:46 AM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 04:57:31 AM »

nightbreath

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:15 AM »
I know that someone can say that the grass is always greener there, however I checked two sides and that's my opinion...

I have already switched to Canon and really regret the decision.
Looks like a loop  :)  Did the same thought bring you to Canon?
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 05:42:53 AM »
no suprise.

if i would start new today i probably would buy nikon too.

Hmmmm. I see your point.

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
Nikon has been targeting newer markets, where Canon stays where they've always sold. Nikon practically took over India with Canon barely on the sales ranking. Nikon at the top and I think Sony right after for DSLRs. As an emerging economy with lots of people in this age of social media Nikon jumped in for the opportunity and are scoring.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 07:06:04 AM »
Let's put this in perspective - this is the first quarter in several years that Nikon outsold Canon, and Nikon needs a lot more quarters like this last one to make up for how far they trail Canon in dSLR market share.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Canon-F1

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 07:16:01 AM »
Let's put this in perspective - this is the first quarter in several years that Nikon outsold Canon, and Nikon needs a lot more quarters like this last one to make up for how far they trail Canon in dSLR market share.

im not really interested in market shares... im interested in products.
and nikon has produced the more exciting cameras this year.
at least in my pricerange of 2000-3000 euro.

im not switching as this would cost me a fortune on glass.
but i do hope that canons next generation will be exciting not just blah.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »

Even there, I'd take a 5DIII over a D800 for general use.  I'm sure I'd find the D800 exciting if my primary subjects were landscape and architecture, but they're not.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 07:20:03 AM »

Canon-F1

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 07:24:36 AM »
Even there, I'd take a 5DIII over a D800 for general use.  I'm sure I'd find the D800 exciting if my primary subjects were landscape and architecture, but they're not.

landscape, portrait, macro for me.

and the D800 is 600 euro cheaper here. that is very tempting.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »

+1!  I am learning this the hard way.  I love the D800 for shooting outside and shooting still scenary like landscape, but trying to shoot a moving subject even outside or shooting indoor with a flash sometime is a hit and miss game with the AF on the D800.  It is also very sensitive to lenses selection.  In low light prime lenses are almost impossible to focus with the D800...

As a result (and to my surprise to some degree) my go to Camera for shooting ISO 100 with a flsh inside is actually my ... 1DX! 
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »