April 19, 2014, 09:00:15 PM

Author Topic: Should I Send My 7D for Repair  (Read 3247 times)

mpiphoto

Should I Send My 7D for Repair
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »
Should I send my 7D in for repair?  The attached image has a shot from my Canon T2i on the left and the 7D on the right.  This is a brand new 7D and I called canon and the rep had me turn off the High Iso Noise thing and the auto light optimizer.

1/50th, f3.5 ISO400 at 28mm

Seems to me the 7D image has a lot more noise.

I was expecting it to be at least the same as the T2i.

The reason that I am looking at this is because I did a photo shoot with dancers jumping and I got a TON of noise in one shot in the middle of one of the girls. 

canon rumors FORUM

Should I Send My 7D for Repair
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:50:44 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Send My 7D for Repair
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »
Its difficult to tell anything from the images, the one on the right seems out of focus, and darker, and is not from the same magnicication.

Try getting identical images, taken at the same time, indoors, if possible in low light with the same lens and settings, and both manually focused using liveview.  The images shoudl turn out pretty much identical.

zerotiu

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:04:51 PM »
I used to be like you when I got my new lens . Handheld shot can't be reliable if you want to test accurately.

Use the same lens and different body with a tripod and shoot an object. I suggest bright object with dark background so you can distinguish it.

set your ISO to 100 and smallest aperture, from this you can get the best image quality and you decide, whether your hand or the camera is wrong

aldvan

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:44:51 AM »
It doesn't seem a noise problem, but just an out-of-focus one, as scalesusa suggested. And two hours later, light should be changed a lot, changing the N/R. LOW light=more noise, also at the same ISO value. As suggested before me, test them on a tripod, being sure that  the cameras are focusing exactly the same point with the same low ISO and light. A good microadjustment can fix the problem if it is just an AF problem with that lens. It is simpler than people usually write or think...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:49:38 AM by aldvan »

bikersbeard

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 04:43:03 AM »
Agree with above posts, you need to check the lens. I have a 7D and had problems with my 50mm f1.4, it was always hit and miss, more miss than hit.
I adjusted micro adjusted the lens yesterday with +15 and now all my shots are nice and sharp.. ;-)

I also had to adjust my 100mm f2.8L +2 and my 15-85mm +2..

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:45:20 AM »
I've just been out for an afternoon shoot with my camera and lens after they both took a trip to Canon's repair facility to get cleaned and calibrated. I swear I've never seen pictures look as good out of camera and wish I'd done it sooner.  If it is brand new, I'd ring up Canon's service department and have a chat to them about it and see if they'll do it for free. I'd tried micro focus but it just didn't get me anywhere useful.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:45:20 AM »