September 02, 2014, 07:49:39 AM

Author Topic: NYC a day after Sandy-  (Read 8200 times)

wellfedCanuck

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
NYC a day after Sandy-
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:13:59 AM »

Iwan Baan , Canon 1D X with the new 24-70mm lens on full open aperture. The camera was set at 25,000 ISO, with a 1/40th of a second shutter speed.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/194225/architecture-photographer-explains-how-he-got-that-new-york-magazine-cover-shot/
Don't take my advice. Don't even take my advice not to take my advice.

canon rumors FORUM

NYC a day after Sandy-
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:13:59 AM »

Frankie T Fotografia

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
Re: NYC a day after Sandy-
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »
Amazing how we can now have usable images that are front cover worthy shot at ISO 25000!
5D Mk III, 7D, 24 L II,  50 L, 135 L, 180 Macro L, 24-70 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, five 600EX-RT, 1.4x Mk III, 2x Mk III

Imagination_landB

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:11:20 AM »
wow and re-wow.
6D, Gripped 60D. 120-300 2.8 OS, 50 1.8, 8-16, 24-70 VC.

Standard

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 10:03:44 AM »
A stellar shot by a stellar talent. And what an amazing camera that 1D-X is.

And-Rew

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
if you've held a 1DX in your hand - and had a chance to push the ISO - you should known that this type of shot is more than achievable from that camera.

I'm not rubbishing the picture - it is an astonishing shot that conveys so much about New York after being hit by 'Sandy'. It is an indication of a photographer who knows the capabilities of his kit and was able to get and take the opportunity to prove it.

It is at times like this when that 1DX price tag seems a little bit on the bargain basement side - along with that 24-70 f2.8 L II.

Well done to Iwan Baan - he deserves all the plaudits he gets - and Canon will be happy with the increased sales this image will generate.

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Maybe next time he should use a fast prime ;)
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 135 f/2 L 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

Standard

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
I'm not rubbishing the picture - it is an astonishing shot that conveys so much about New York after being hit by 'Sandy'. It is an indication of a photographer who knows the capabilities of his kit and was able to get and take the opportunity to prove it.

I know that many will argue that this image isn't anything great, that they themselves could have easily taken the shot given the same chance with the same equipment. It is the same argument that I have seen many others have made about the work of Peter Lik, Art Wolfe, Gregory Crewdson, Richard Avedon, Albert Watson, Sheila Metzner, and many others, that their work is subpar, mediocre. This same argument extends further to other creative areas such as painting, sculpture, etc. Comments/reactions to a work done by Jackson Pollack for example –  "My four-year old kid could have done that" or "I could have easily done that" are often heard. Fact of the matter is that they did it, and not us. The fact that Iwan Baan, took advantage of the opportunity as well as the risks, to take the image is what mattered. Many people forget that more often than not, it's not about the final image but rather the story and/or process that was involved in taking the shot. They're often caught up in the technicality of the art and thus have forgotten that true photography  is never about the final result but the events leading up to it. If this wan't the case, then no one would bother to consider the work of past photographers with subpar cameras yielding grainy, blurry images (Henri Cartier-Bresson, Brassai comes to mind) as who they really are...masters.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »

I know that many will argue that this image isn't anything great, that they themselves could have easily taken the shot given the same chance with the same equipment. It is the same argument that I have seen many others have made about the work of Peter Lik, Art Wolfe, Gregory Crewdson, Richard Avedon, Albert Watson, Sheila Metzner, and many others, that their work is subpar, mediocre. This same argument extends further to other creative areas such as painting, sculpture, etc. Comments/reactions to a work done by Jackson Pollack for example –  "My four-year old kid could have done that" or "I could have easily done that" are often heard. Fact of the matter is that they did it, and not us. The fact that Iwan Baan, took advantage of the opportunity as well as the risks, to take the image is what mattered. Many people forget that more often than not, it's not about the final image but rather the story and/or process that was involved in taking the shot. They're often caught up in the technicality of the art and thus have forgotten that true photography  is never about the final result but the events leading up to it. If this wan't the case, then no one would bother to consider the work of past photographers with subpar cameras yielding grainy, blurry images (Henri Cartier-Bresson, Brassai comes to mind) as who they really are...masters.

As Weegee said "f8 and be there"

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:00:20 PM »
+1 I was about to comment on that when I saw your comment. The 24-70 2.8 II is not the end all be all lens. But I agree the picture is superb  8)

Speed2

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
+1 I was about to comment on that when I saw your comment. The 24-70 2.8 II is not the end all be all lens. But I agree the picture is superb  8)

Blah blah..Once in a lifetime shot.. and someone says he should use a prime? Same with the guy that posted in Dpreview "There's a lot of noise in that image, especially in the clouds. He should have used a Nikon D4"
Any one know what kind of gear he took with him? and we also don't know which 24-70 he had. The shot we see is what he kept out of 2000-2500 shots. The guy deserves nothing but kudos.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 11:11:42 PM »

Or a flash ;D

In all seriousness, that's a stellar shot!

redelses

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »
Excellent shot.
I think Poynter got it wrong, though: "Shooting in the dark, with a handheld camera, in a vibrating helicopter, 5,000 feet above land sounds like a photographer’s nightmare."  Nightmare? That sounds like an awesome opportunity to me! The scene and devastation was probably a nightmare, but getting that perspective with a camera in hand is not.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »
This picture reminded me....you DO NOT need super camera to have great picture. You just need to be there at the right moment.

Thanks for sharing.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:06:43 AM »

Zlatko

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »
This picture reminded me....you DO NOT need super camera to have great picture. You just need to be there at the right moment.
Sometimes you need a super camera too.  Not many cameras can produce a dramatic cover photo in such darkness at ISO 25,000.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »