December 19, 2014, 08:20:18 PM

Author Topic: How the iconic post-Sandy 'New York' cover photo shot w/ ID-X  (Read 12258 times)

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
How the iconic post-Sandy 'New York' cover photo shot w/ ID-X
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
I thought you guys would find this info from the Verge and original link interesting:

From the Verge
"Dutch photographer Iwan Baan captured a stunning shot of New York City for the latest cover of New York Magazine, but how exactly did he do it? Speaking to Poynter, Baan described how he rented a helicopter on Wednesday night after the storm hit to try and take a photo that would convey the duality of the city at that moment in time. Despite the freezing cold and motion of the helicopter, Baan spent an hour taking burst shots with a Canon EOS-1D X and 24-70mm f/2.8 L lens, ultimately achieving the cover picture with an ISO of 25,600, 1/40 shutter speed, and a wide-open aperture. The photographer didn't stop there, though: Dezeen has put together a slideshow of Baan's various pictures taken across a largely blacked out Manhattan in the aftermath of the storm."

Where they got the story:

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/194225/architecture-photographer-explains-how-he-got-that-new-york-magazine-cover-shot/

canon rumors FORUM

How the iconic post-Sandy 'New York' cover photo shot w/ ID-X
« on: November 05, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »

Ryan_W

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: How the iconic post-Sandy 'New York' cover photo shot w/ ID-X
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:19:25 PM »
Thanks for sharing - just goes to show, the gear helps but in the end it's the ingenuity of the photographer that tells the story.

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:12 AM »
the picture itself is not a big deal..

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
"Not a big deal" ?
Pretty damn great picture if you ask me.
I've seen it online, now I want to see the cover to check out the high ISO file quality.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:40:59 AM »
It is a nice picture. But why, when you are spending all that money, would you rent that lens. It does not even have IS, so in a helicopter your shot has to be lucky that you get it at the right moment. True that applies to a lot of photography. But surely he could have taken something else!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
To me the picture is a big deal because there arn't very many other ways to get such a dramatic capture.  Cost aside -- from requests to the pilot (lets go over there, no up higher, now over here.  try 500 more feet ... ahh thats it...) and strapping himself in dealing with the cold and the 1% keep rate, it all shows what one has to do to get shots like this. 

2n10

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »
I agree that it is a dramatic capture and tells a story of what happened.  It is great information to know in the article also.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II and EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »
Thanks for sharing - just goes to show, the gear helps but in the end it's the ingenuity of the photographer that tells the story.

Yeah, that a a few thousand dollars to rent a helicopter!
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:46:24 PM »
It is a nice picture. But why, when you are spending all that money, would you rent that lens. It does not even have IS, so in a helicopter your shot has to be lucky that you get it at the right moment. True that applies to a lot of photography. But surely he could have taken something else!

Most professional photographers rarely use IS or even turn it on.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 09:53:14 PM »

I very much doubt that IS can dampen the high-frequency vibrations you get from a helicopter in flight. It's designed to deal with the low-frequency motion of human muscles. Aside from some stupid-expensive gyro-stabilized rig, about your only realistic choice is going to be what I call, "poor man's IS:" shoot a burst of images as steadily as you can, and if your boost is long enough, you'll catch a shot as the vibration takes you to the extreme of one swing before it starts the next sway -- that is, just as the pendulum is frozen at the end of its swing.

A 1Dx that can do 12 FPS with a really deep buffer is ideal for such bursts. And its extra mass doesn't hurt, either.

b&

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:59:38 PM »

I very much doubt that IS can dampen the high-frequency vibrations you get from a helicopter in flight. It's designed to deal with the low-frequency motion of human muscles. Aside from some stupid-expensive gyro-stabilized rig, about your only realistic choice is going to be what I call, "poor man's IS:" shoot a burst of images as steadily as you can, and if your boost is long enough, you'll catch a shot as the vibration takes you to the extreme of one swing before it starts the next sway -- that is, just as the pendulum is frozen at the end of its swing.

A 1Dx that can do 12 FPS with a really deep buffer is ideal for such bursts. And its extra mass doesn't hurt, either.

b&
it definately helps reduce movement from vibrating platforms in operating industrial plant and i agree the 1D burst rate helps with keepers only 10 fps on my 1D though
APS-H Fanboy

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »

Where you got that information?

Of course assuming situation where amateurs would also turn it off, tripod use etc., when/why would pros turn off IS? What they would gain by doing that?

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:44:37 AM »

Where you got that information?

Of course assuming situation where amateurs would also turn it off, tripod use etc., when/why would pros turn off IS? What they would gain by doing that?

I want to know too!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:08:54 AM by sanj »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 12:44:37 AM »

timkbryant

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 01:02:44 AM »

Agreed. I am technically a professional (reporter/photog with a weekly newspaper) and I have IS turned off on the lens that has it (24-105) and I did not bother buying the IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8 because at the speeds I shoot, it's not going to have an effect.
Bodies: 5D Mk III; 1000D
Lenses: EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L; EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
Flash: 580 EX II

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »

Agreed. I am technically a professional (reporter/photog with a weekly newspaper) and I have IS turned off on the lens that has it (24-105) and I did not bother buying the IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8 because at the speeds I shoot, it's not going to have an effect.

So you saying all professionals work at only your kind of shutter speeds?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 01:10:00 AM »