July 24, 2014, 11:38:51 PM

Author Topic: How the iconic post-Sandy 'New York' cover photo shot w/ ID-X  (Read 11334 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: How the iconic post-Sandy 'New York' cover photo shot w/ ID-X
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »
It is a nice picture. But why, when you are spending all that money, would you rent that lens. It does not even have IS, so in a helicopter your shot has to be lucky that you get it at the right moment. True that applies to a lot of photography. But surely he could have taken something else!

Most professional photographers rarely use IS or even turn it on.

Sorry, but this is so factually incorrect it is almost funny. I do not think in all my years I have ever seen any pro turn off AF. Only ever time I would, might be with tripod and absolutely perfect conditions.

Going up in a heli after Hurricane Sandy, without gyro etc. Then as one poster already mentioned you are hoping to get some good shots on the 12/fps. And believe me if you have IS you would use it!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 01:17:51 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »
I took this shot recently in Botswana from a helicopter. 1dx. ISO 400. 70-400 f2.8 II. 1/250. f5.6.
My IS was ON. I got 50% keepers.
My buddy forgot to turn IS on and has keepers
. 0%
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 06:57:27 AM by sanj »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 01:27:19 AM »

Agreed. I am technically a professional (reporter/photog with a weekly newspaper) and I have IS turned off on the lens that has it (24-105) and I did not bother buying the IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8 because at the speeds I shoot, it's not going to have an effect.

Apart from many other things, I spend an awful lot of time with reporters etc (and have done for a couple of decades) and I cannot remember a single time noticing one of them had any of their cameras with IS off. Why would they? Why would you? Makes no sense.

timkbryant

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »
So you saying all professionals work at only your kind of shutter speeds?

I do believe you misinterpreted. The original statement was most.

Besides, I was recounting my own personal opinion on the matter, in relation to the statement I quoted. Obviously not every reporter is like me.
Bodies: 5D Mk III; 1000D
Lenses: EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L; EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS
Flash: 580 EX II

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
Great elephant shot.
Why not shoot at 1/500 f4 instead, or 800 asa for faster shutter speeds ?
Maybe even 1000 at 2.8.

When I shoot from the air I really try to speed up the shutter but I understand the need for DOF if I'm not shooting straight down.

Again, nice shot, very unique.

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2012, 03:51:08 PM »
I never use IS during sports photography.  Since I use a monopod and have a pretty steady setup, and never shoot below 1/1250s, I don't really need it.  I also have no OOF shots, or at least very rarely.  There's no reason for me to constantly run the IS motor when it makes not a lick of difference in the quality of my photos.

However, when handholding at slower shutter speeds, I definitely use it.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

PackLight

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
Great elephant shot.
Why not shoot at 1/500 f4 instead, or 800 asa for faster shutter speeds ?
Maybe even 1000 at 2.8.

When I shoot from the air I really try to speed up the shutter but I understand the need for DOF if I'm not shooting straight down.

Again, nice shot, very unique.

It is a very nice shot.
I think the answer to your questions will be that he was shooting with a 2x convertor, unless Canon makes a 70-400mm f/2.8 that I do not know about.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

Timothy_Bruce

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »

Agreed. I am technically a professional (reporter/photog with a weekly newspaper) and I have IS turned off on the lens that has it (24-105) and I did not bother buying the IS version of the 70-200 f/2.8 because at the speeds I shoot, it's not going to have an effect.

Apart from many other things, I spend an awful lot of time with reporters etc (and have done for a couple of decades) and I cannot remember a single time noticing one of them had any of their cameras with IS off. Why would they? Why would you? Makes no sense.

There could be some weird feedback loop with high frequency vibrations in some cases.
That could be a reason to turn IS of.
But I donĀ“t get why he has not used a faster prime lens ?

Skulker

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 06:31:48 PM »
With all this talk of IS. Are people saying that the original shot is not good enough. Or are those who say the wrong kit was used just saying it could be better?

PackLight

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »
With all this talk of IS. Are people saying that the original shot is not good enough. Or are those who say the wrong kit was used just saying it could be better?

I think his equipment selection was fine.
I wish I had a helicopter in my kit.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »
I never use IS during sports photography.  Since I use a monopod and have a pretty steady setup, and never shoot below 1/1250s, I don't really need it.  I also have no OOF shots, or at least very rarely.  There's no reason for me to constantly run the IS motor when it makes not a lick of difference in the quality of my photos.

Well, I must say that is quite unusual. In all my years, and having done many major sporting events in different countries, I do not think I have ever seen anyone shoot with it off.

And to say it does not make a lick of difference. It might not, but can, if you get knocked by your neighbour, accidentally prodded by a monopod in your back, or who knows what else.

If it does not make a lick of difference, then you might as well have it on so you do not forget to turn it on when you do need it. ;-)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »
Thanks for sharing - just goes to show, the gear helps but in the end it's the ingenuity of the photographer that tells the story.

Yeah, that a a few thousand dollars to rent a helicopter!
  ;D

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »

Well, I must say that is quite unusual. In all my years, and having done many major sporting events in different countries, I do not think I have ever seen anyone shoot with it off.

And to say it does not make a lick of difference. It might not, but can, if you get knocked by your neighbour, accidentally prodded by a monopod in your back, or who knows what else.

If it does not make a lick of difference, then you might as well have it on so you do not forget to turn it on when you do need it. ;-)

Yes but I'm unusual :).
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »

TeenTog

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Teen Tog
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:51 PM »
Yes but I'm unusual .

I'll say. The only time I EVER turn IS off is when I'm shooting a long exposure at night (w/ the camera on a tripod of course). Plus, even if you have the steadiest monopod and an f/0.6 lens, IS will still help you.
Rebel T3, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, 430EX II, Nikon EL 2, Assorted Nikkor primes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:51 PM »