September 18, 2014, 07:42:49 AM

Author Topic: EF 24-70 f/4L IS & EF 35 f/2 IS Preorders  (Read 18753 times)

plutonium10

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: EF 24-70 f/4L IS & EF 35 f/2 IS Preorders
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »
plutonium10, we can only HOPE!  And FWIW, I think the 6D has great promise, esp if it was about $500 less.  That's its biggest fault.  Otherwise, the 6D may well work just fine.  For what I do and how I shoot, it may eventually replace my 5D3.  I'd love to still have what I need and get back ~$1000 some day.  No way to know until the 6d has been out for a while and can be truly compared to the other relevant bodies.  Heck, I barely know my 5D3 as of yet.  No big rush, life goes on....

Agreed, the 6D itself seems like a decent camera. It's a simple and straightforward FF body for the entry-level crowd, and a competent replacement for the 5D II, even if the AF system might be somewhat underwhelming for more advanced users. Only time and testing will tell how effective the 11-point system actually is. What I do take issue with is the price tag, which is hardly "entry-level".
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:11:58 PM by plutonium10 »
EOS 7D | EF-S 15-85 IS USM | EF 70-300 L IS USM | EF 100 L IS USM Macro | Gitzo GT2531 | Arca-Swiss Z1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:27 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 01:13:42 PM »
Do remember that Canon is not your only lens option. I don't think it is any coincidence that Tamron and, especially, Sigma with the imminent roll-out of their new products, are stepping up to the plate with new lenses that compete with Canon on image quality. They can see the yawning gap developing at the sanely priced end of the market and they're filling the gap with quality products that should appeal to any Canon devotee, whether budget-limited or not.

There is another thread where the poster is asking whether to wait for the 35mm f/2 IS or go for the 35mm L. And yet, the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 promises to be better than the Canon f/1.4 L and likely about the same price as the f/2 IS. To me it's a no-brainer but then, I don't feel wedded to Canon lenses.

as the former owner of about a half a dozen Sigma lenses of all types, I have to say I'm cautiously excited.  while they sound good on paper, I'll need to see reviews and photos before I buy because of two things:

1. AF speed / accuracy
2. bokeh

both of these were lousy with the sigmas I've used in the past, across all six.  here's hoping the New Sigma look goes further than skin deep.

hmmm

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 01:19:18 PM »

30% off the $1500 MSRP will give you $1000 addition to the body only price to make it a kt, or if you use the $350 number it would be $1150 adder. 

6D kits would either be $3099 or $3249 - MSRP

5Dmk3 kits would either be $4499 or $4649 - MSRP

...and it would probably mean that the 6D + 24-105 will be a no-show, so the 6D + 24-105 @ 2899 will turn out to not be an option.   It will probably be 6D + 24-70 f4 @ 3199 only.

...  the Nikon D600 sells at BH with 24-85 today for 2596.95.

... I decided to defer my gear upgrade to the spring, so I have time to mull it over and look at reviews.   I like my prosumer Canon L glass, but now it is clear that the "prosumer" lens types are moving into professional price brackets.   That kind of defeats the whole marketing niche idea of prosumer glass.

Just another random thought: with Canon sending prices to the stratosphere, Nikon has a real opportunity to drop a FX sensor into a D5200 style body and sell it with the 24-85 for $1999.   I'd like to get that rumor started right now.   :)

AdamJ

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »
Do remember that Canon is not your only lens option. .... To me it's a no-brainer but then, I don't feel wedded to Canon lenses.

AdamJ, you make a good point.  Like I said, the competition - esp for lenses, is loving it.  In my experience however, there is a significant build quality difference between Canon lenses and all the other value driven alternatives.  For most shooters, the alternatives are more than adequate.  However, for those of us who shoot outdoors and shoot a LOT on a steady basis, the build quality of Canon can't be beat.  I can wear out a Tamron in a year while a similar Canon lens will not even blink, it just keeps on working without hesitation.

With their recently announced strategy, Sigma is undergoing a sea-change from a price-driven proposition to a quality-driven proposition. I believe this is at least partly a response to the gap in the market that Canon's pricing is opening up. Sigma can develop premium products now because they know they can pitch them at the premium-but-not-inflated price level that Canon has vacated.

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »
In the article that DPreview published:

"....we've been told that the RRP will be $1499 / £1499.99 / €1459"

Can someone explain to me why they convert 1:1? I find it disgusting

November 6th:
Interbank typical creditcard conversion takes  + 3% on $1499 makes

1135,40 euro !
and
908,87 britisch pounds !

I agree that this is somewhat worrying.  But for starters, EU and GBP countries are on a VAT system, which means that generally their products are quotes INclusive of sales taxes, which are generally higher than in the US.  After stripping this out it would make more sense to compare, however other business costs, import duties and volumes then start to play a role.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

stewy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2012, 01:43:08 PM »
You know what, I may just abandon my 24-105 for this lens. Of course, I'll have to try it before I buy it, and I won't be buying it right away. I'll wait for now. The high price means that there's no rush.

albron00

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
Hey! EF 35mm f/2 IS comes with lens hood! WOW!
At leas we know now where this price comes from...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »

On what are you basing that statement?  If it's the B&H 'what's in the box' list, I'd reserve judgement - I think that's an error.  If you look at 'more images' you'll see the picture of the hood is the EW-83L, the hood for the 24-70/4L IS.  A hood with an 83mm diameter at the bayonet mount isn't going fit on a lens with a specified maximum diameter of 77.9mm.  Most likely, someone setting up the B&H webpage did the 24-70/4L IS first, then just copied and pasted. 

But if you're source is something more official, please share!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:56 PM »
Do remember that Canon is not your only lens option. .... To me it's a no-brainer but then, I don't feel wedded to Canon lenses.

AdamJ, you make a good point.  Like I said, the competition - esp for lenses, is loving it.

With their recently announced strategy, Sigma is undergoing a sea-change from a price-driven proposition to a quality-driven proposition. I believe this is at least partly a response to the gap in the market that Canon's pricing is opening up. Sigma can develop premium products now because they know they can pitch them at the premium-but-not-inflated price level that Canon has vacated.

This is a very interesting observation Adam.  Canon is creating a price gap vacuum that will encourage a higher quality alternative to fill it at a previously acceptable price point (but probably still slightly less).  And if the alternative is good and receives rave reviews, it will succeed.  The fickle enthusiasts will flock in droves.  Hell, I might even be one of them.  If I can have a quality lens for half the price of the Canon L, I can afford to even replace it if I wear it out and still come out ahead.  Time will tell!!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

albron00

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2012, 03:49:41 PM »
"What's in the box" was my source.
Adorama has same description...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
"What's in the box" was my source.
Adorama has same description...

Actually, Adorama lists "Lens Hood EW-72" which is plausible.  Here's to hoping Canon will finally start including hoods with their non-L lenses!
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Gothmoth

« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »

i hope so!

i really want the new sigma 35mm f1.4 to be a winner.
can´t wait to test it.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »

B&H also says that it has the new hybrid IS system ... which should be really good for video

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2012, 05:44:52 PM »

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2012, 06:42:42 PM »

AdamJ, you make a good point.  Like I said, the competition - esp for lenses, is loving it.

This is a very interesting observation Adam.  Canon is creating a price gap vacuum that will encourage a higher quality alternative to fill it at a previously acceptable price point (but probably still slightly less).  And if the alternative is good and receives rave reviews, it will succeed.  The fickle enthusiasts will flock in droves.  Hell, I might even be one of them.  If I can have a quality lens for half the price of the Canon L, I can afford to even replace it if I wear it out and still come out ahead.  Time will tell!!
Don't be shy about Sigma.... I have the 50mm 1.4 and the thing takes fabulous pictures. They are sharp, and the bokeh is super creamy! Additionally, it's built like a tank and has a very professional look and feel. I would highly recommend this lens, especially if you have a camera with AFMA(for obvious reasons.)
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Stewbyyy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Stuart Comerford Photography
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
I was really hoping the 35 F/2 would be quite affordable... what was I thinking.

Well, Sigma still have my trust. Plus their 35 1.4 looks nicer :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »