November 28, 2014, 02:07:49 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!  (Read 31691 times)

pharp

Re: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »
Do the new caps come wth IS?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2012, 11:13:27 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »

Yes - Internal Springs.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
Used this type on and old tamron, every single time I took it off or put it one it slipped and dropped onto the front element. Useless. The canon ones I place to one side and lift up or down on the other side, gripping the firmly before and after lifting. But then again, when was the last time I used a lens cap? 6-7 years?

???
No offense but:
- These are Canon too. (well, prob. a Chinese company makes it for them for $0.02)
- Why do you drop them? I used this type on other lenses (Nikon, Oly, Sigma) and never dropped it. Several of my friends use this type too so I doubt it's the design.
- Why does it bother you if you haven't used one in 6-7 yrs?
- But most importantly I'm pretty sure that: You can use these the same exact way as the old ones from the stone age. The Center pinch is an option.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:27:12 AM by picturesbyme »

ScottFielding

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
great news ;D Need to get mine ordered.
5D III
Sigma 35 1.4 - 50L - 135L - 70-200L II

symmar22

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2012, 11:37:49 AM »
Ok, so... when did Nikon introduce their center-pinch caps? Just to get an idea of when I can expect to see a Canon camera that has the IQ of a D800...

And in totally unrelated news: sigh...

+1

Nikon has them since like 10 years, they are a MUST if you want to keep your lenses with hood AND caps on. This is how a modern lens cap should look like.

Sounds like Canon has put a lot of effort on RD ;)

Now it's time to get that invested money back and sell the caps 50$ a piece.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:42:51 AM by symmar22 »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2012, 11:44:48 AM »

Yes - Internal Springs.
IS? Was that in the specs? Shoot! That I am sure will spring beyond my budget! {pun intended!}

But no! Wait! I can use them to take pictures of the inside of the cap and amortize the expense! YES!

great news ;D Need to get mine ordered.
Wait! Me first! I thought it before! (I think...)

Ok, so... when did Nikon introduce their center-pinch caps? Just to get an idea of when I can expect to see a Canon camera that has the IQ of a D800...

And in totally unrelated news: sigh...

+1

Nikon has them since like 10 years, they are a MUST if you want to keep your lenses with hood AND caps on. This is how a modern lens cap should look like.

Sounds like Canon has put a lot of effort on RD ;)

Now they can get the research money they invested back and sell them 50$ a piece.
Nope! not RD or R&D or any combination thereof!
It is called RR&UD. Stands for Re-Research & Under Development.

Old Sarge

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »
Used this type on and old tamron, every single time I took it off or put it one it slipped and dropped onto the front element. Useless. The canon ones I place to one side and lift up or down on the other side, gripping the firmly before and after lifting. But then again, when was the last time I used a lens cap? 6-7 years?

???
No offense but:
- But most importantly I'm pretty sure that: You can use these the same exact way as the old ones from the stone age. The Center pinch is an option.

I replaced most of the caps on my lenses a couple of years ago with this type (one came on my Tokina 11-16 and I loved it).  And it never struck me that they can be used exactly the same way as the old ones.  When I read what you wrote I actually went to my equipment cabinet and pulled out a lens to find you were exactly right.  :)   
The Old Sarge

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2012, 11:51:19 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2012, 12:01:42 PM »
Following on with Canon's recent trend, they will cost only slightly more than a lens hood, say ~$52 each.   :o
;D

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2012, 12:06:00 PM »
Now I can think that they introduced them to match these old 5DMkIIIs which had problem metering with their lens cap on  ;D

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
24-70 f/4L IS, 35 f/22 IS and now these caps. Oh no! Canon worked so hard. We will not see the lenses we so desire in this decade....  ::)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »
Now I can think that they introduced them to match these old 5DMkIIIs which had problem metering with their lens cap on  ;D
See, every $52 counts! (towards a billion)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
I wonder if they get them from the same Chinese supplier of third party caps that sell for $1.59 ea including shipping :D
I bought a assortment from 52mm to 82mm recently and have been intending to do a review.  The only negative, and its a big one is that they can come off the lens while its in my case. Notice that the movable pinch button sticks out beyond the edge of the cap a little.  Pressure on it while the lens is sitting on it can let it fall off >:(

They have a hole along the edge for a lanyard, which is included, but I toss it out.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 01:45:16 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

OliverO

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »
I would be more impressed if they also offered these as "L" series lens caps, with red rings around the edges. With the option to get them in white as well - for double the price, naturally.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2012, 01:13:24 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
I would be more impressed if they also offered these as "L" series lens caps, with red rings around the edges. With the option to get them in white as well - for double the price, naturally.  :)
10X the price.  Care to place a order for 25?  The guy I got mine will be happy to paint a red ring on them and add a gold "L".

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »
I use lens caps 'off and on'.  (Heh, heh.)  Mostly for storage.  Here are my bullet points with regard to this announcement...

-  The Canon lens caps up to now have been worthless and stayed in the box.  I substitute w Tamrons.
-  Sort of like Apple, Canon releases this revolutionary, fancy, innovative pinch design with their name on it... Wow!!  Amazing!
-  Also like Apple, Canon will likely charge a premium price for what is essentially a Tamron (or Nikon, or Bower) lens cap.
-  Using the same premium and state of the art plastic as Canon Lens Hoods as justification, Canon will likely charge accordingly,  the same premium prices.
-  OK seriously... they really put a lanyard hole in it and actually include a lanyard?  Really!?  Who does that these days?  When was the last time you even saw a soccer mom with the lens cap hanging from the lens of their Rebel?  That is so... '70's to me.

Ahh, that was fun...
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2012, 01:37:19 PM »