I use lens caps 'off and on'. (Heh, heh.) Mostly for storage. Here are my bullet points with regard to this announcement...
- The Canon lens caps up to now have been worthless and stayed in the box. I substitute w Tamrons.
- Sort of like Apple, Canon releases this revolutionary, fancy, innovative pinch design with their name on it... Wow!! Amazing!
- Also like Apple, Canon will likely charge a premium price for what is essentially a Tamron (or Nikon, or Bower) lens cap.
- Using the same premium and state of the art plastic as Canon Lens Hoods as justification, Canon will likely charge accordingly, the same premium prices.
- OK seriously... they really put a lanyard hole in it and actually include a lanyard? Really!? Who does that these days? When was the last time you even saw a soccer mom with the lens cap hanging from the lens of their Rebel? That is so... '70's to me.
Ahh, that was fun...