August 01, 2014, 07:25:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!  (Read 28159 times)

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
They are going for about ten bucks each.   Hey hey!   ;)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/883410-REG/Canon_6315b001_E_52_II_Lens_Cap.html

OK, seriously... Tamron has to be hating this.  For once the shoe is on the other foot!  Canon is undercutting Tamron!  Take THAT Tamron!   Canon is sooo p'owning Tamron now in the highly competitive lens cap market.  Finally!  Now I can stop buying Tamron caps and putting black gaffer tape on them.  ;D
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
-  OK seriously... they really put a lanyard hole in it and actually include a lanyard?  Really!?  Who does that these days?  When was the last time you even saw a soccer mom with the lens cap hanging from the lens of their Rebel?  That is so... '70's to me.

Ahh, that was fun...
You misunderstood my post.  The image is of Chinese caps that are sold on ebay for $1.59 including shipping.  I bought a assortment of them a while back.
The new Canon caps look very much the same.  I really doubt that they are the same though.  For $1.59 for a 82mm cap, its not a bad deal.  I suspect that I did not have the cap completely snapped innto place when it cam off in my bag, I haven't had another come off since.  Still, I'm very concerned if they do pop off in my bag, it could be a expensive repair.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
When was the last time you even saw a soccer mom with the lens cap hanging from the lens of their Rebel?  That is so... '70's to me.

I hear the 70's are coming back (and I suppose technically they will, later this century). 

You're right, I don't really see dangling lens caps on dSLRs anymore.  What I do see are people leaving a CPL on the lens...all the time, even indoors at night.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
-  OK seriously... they really put a lanyard hole in it and actually include a lanyard?  Really!?  Who does that these days?  When was the last time you even saw a soccer mom with the lens cap hanging from the lens of their Rebel?  That is so... '70's to me.

Ahh, that was fun...
You misunderstood my post.  The image is of Chinese caps that are sold on ebay for $1.59 including shipping.  I bought a assortment of them a while back.
The new Canon caps look very much the same.  I really doubt that they are the same though.  For $1.59 for a 82mm cap, its not a bad deal.  I suspect that I did not have the cap completely snapped innto place when it cam off in my bag, I haven't had another come off since.  Still, I'm very concerned if they do pop off in my bag, it could be a expensive repair.

Ha!  OK, I admit it.  You got me on that one.  Keys in motion before brain in gear!   :o

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
When was the last time you even saw a soccer mom with the lens cap hanging from the lens of their Rebel?  That is so... '70's to me.

I hear the 70's are coming back (and I suppose technically they will, later this century). 

You're right, I don't really see dangling lens caps on dSLRs anymore.  What I do see are people leaving a CPL on the lens...all the time, even indoors at night.

Oh crap!!  So that was my problem!  Now I can send the 5D3 back!  I don't need the extra ISO anymore!!  Yippee!!!  Dude, you just saved me 3 grand!   ;) :o ::) :P

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2012, 01:55:34 PM »
I don't use lens cap anymore, since I have B&W filters on all my lenses.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

RustyTheGeek

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
OK everyone...

You know that it must be a pretty slow and boring day if 5 pages of forum posts are generated over a new lens cap release.

Man, I gotta get motivated to do some actual work today....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
I got more than a few chuckles out of the silly banter about the caps lol. Hopefully its not true but people are upset because they don't look cool? Do your lenses sit out on display because the current lens caps are so beautifully minimalist? I personally never think about that. I have in a pinch bought an off market lens cap and it is cheap and ugly but i didn't care. What i did care about was that its clamping mechanism didn't stay locked on the lens so I don't want to use it now but its a backup. The thing that excites me is that I always use a lens hood when shooting no matter what. I'm not a fan of lens filters covering my L glass and the hood offers protection as well as lens flare protection. That said a lens cap I can take off without tapping into my plastic man capabilities thereby shrinking and flattening my fingers to add or remove a lens cap will be an amazing convenience.
I do like the idea of not removing the lens cap and its a clear shoot thru cap.  ;D
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

willis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »
Price.. price.. price...
Knowing Canon, price will be a bit cheesy. But definitely going to change to those.. after small price drop. :)
EOS 7D

se_photo

« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »
Two movies scenes I always remember:
"Pecker": main character (Pecker) gets a new Nikon gifted to him and while unboxing it, he pulls the lens cap off, tosses it away with a disdainful scowl like "what the crap is that for?" (great movie highly recommended)
"Valley Girl": Dad (stoned) prepares to photograph daughter going to prom with her date and is setting up the shot, "Dad... Dad.... Dad...." dad looks through camera and it's dark. He then realizes the point of his daughter's prodding. "Ye ol' lens cap..." he says while smiling and removing the lenscap to take the shot.

To this day, if I go to take a photo and the lens cap is on, I say "ye ol' lenscap" with a smile as I remove it. I don't think anyone else in the world gets the reference but that's ok.

I love my tamron caps looking at up at me from my lightware bag- knowing the L glass under them...

sovietdoc

« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »
About damn time.  I never take the hood off so working with 70-200 ii and even 24-70 ii was just ridiculous trying put the cap on.

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
Best new Canon product this year!
Now I'm going to have to put these new caps on all my lenses and shoot test shots all over again!

... They'll probably have light leaks. :(

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
What I do see are people leaving a CPL on the lens...all the time, even indoors at night.

And to what misguided (and misguiding) internet tutorial can we attribute that beauty?
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »

I've seen this happen. I pointed it out to him and he just grabbed his flash...
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

bkorcel

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
Now how about some nice redesigned lens caps for the super-teles!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »