July 28, 2014, 02:42:38 PM

Author Topic: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!  (Read 27945 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »
Now how about some nice redesigned lens caps for the super-teles!!!

They did those already. The new nylon-and-Velcro 'caps' for the MkII superteles are a big improvement over the pleather slip-ons.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »

Skippermark

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »
Just switched from Nikon to Canon, and this is awesome.  The first thing I noticed was the difficulty getting the lens caps on and off with a hood installed.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »
I'm sure that everyone would go out and buy them up at $250 each.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2012, 06:06:16 PM »
I'm sure that everyone would go out and buy them up at $250 each.

Your estimate makes the actual price of $120 seem like a bargain.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gundul

• Power Shot G16
  • Serious Amateur. Seriously An Amateur.
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2012, 06:23:29 PM »
I hope unlike the new lenses, the price of these caps are not doubled..
5D2 35L 85/1.8 135L 1.4xIIL  24-105L  1D2 T28-75/2.8 T70-300VC  300V 40/2.8  ST-E2 580exII 430exII   Takumar50/1.4 Fujinon50/1.6

mrmarks

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2012, 06:43:25 PM »
Canon should come up with an old-for-new lens cap exchange program, since we have already paid a premium for all their lenses!

AdamJ

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
It would be nice if, one day, someone produced lens-specific caps with the focal length printed on them. Four of my lenses, with identical 58mm caps, would be hard to tell apart in my camera bag were it not for the white stickers I've put on the caps, on which I've written the focal length.

By the way, I'm intrigued by some of the comments about the look of these new caps. I admit that I'm blind to some aesthetic cues (due to the way my head is wired!) but is it really possible for a lens cap to be judged good-looking or not good-looking?  :-\

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »

tomusan

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2012, 07:27:02 PM »
Who uses lens caps for X sakes? I'm sure all amatures have a big fat 'what ever' filter screwed to the front of their lens, so why the lens cap? To prevent a speck of dust ever to invade your precious piece of glass? God forbid. No, seriously, who uses these, and why? Anybody ever had his / her lens damaged because the lens cap wasn't on? Very interested in your replies!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:47:37 PM by tomusan »

trojdor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2012, 07:35:39 PM »
Crap. I just placed an order yesterday for 4 more 67mm and 77mm Nikon caps. (I've been using Nikon pinch caps to replace my fumbling %^&* canon caps for years, but would much rather have Canon make them right.)

Oh well, timing is everything.  :P

AdamJ

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »
Who uses lens caps for X sakes? I'm sure all amatures have a big fat 'what ever' filter screwed to the front of their lens, so why the lens cap? To prevent aspeck o dut ever to invade your precious piee of glass? God forbid. No, seriously, who uses these, and why? Anybody ever had his / her lens damaged because the lens cap wasn't on? Very interested in your replies!

I'm equally baffled by anyone who doesn't use them. Are your lenses scratch-proof?

trojdor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
Who uses lens caps for X sakes? I'm sure all amatures have a big fat 'what ever' filter screwed to the front of their lens, so why the lens cap? To prevent aspeck o dut ever to invade your precious piee of glass? God forbid. No, seriously, who uses these, and why? Anybody ever had his / her lens damaged because the lens cap wasn't on? Very interested in your replies!

I find your comment rather odd, so I'll try to answer:
1. I use lens caps front and back on all the lenses in my bag....as does every other pro I know.
2. I'm not an amateur (note spelling). I've been a professional photographer for over 30 years.
3. Dust doesn't 'get in' a lens from the front element.
4. I don't typically use filters, but depend on the hood to keep the lens from getting scratched or damaged in use.
5. Disclaimer: I've got an old 24-70 L assembled on a 7D kept in a fast bag with just the hood and no cap, but that's mainly because I lost the cap and have just been too lazy to replace it.

In short, seriously, do you really not use lens caps for your lenses? I suppose you leave the camera bodies open, with no body cap, as well? Thrown all together in a plastic grocery bag, maybe?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:03:56 PM by trojdor »

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »
Finally. What a triumph! A truly remarkable technological breakthrough by Canon! Advanced engineering! Amazing technology at work. Major research and development spending involved!

But ... as far as I am concerned, way too late! I have equipped all my Canon L and Non-L lenses with original Nikon center pinch lens caps long ago. I especially love taking along my well-capped lens collection to Canon CPS hot-air marketing events. I just love it, when Canon Reps cringe at the sight.

Now Canon, here are some more challenges for you to solve. Get to work immediately and don't take to long to break the news ... otherwise I may have jumped ship in the meantime! 

* lens hoods included with all lenses
* fully functional, truly useful Auto ISO on all EOS bodies
* reasonably priced RT radio wireless receivers for my 580EX/II and 430EX/II flashes
* 2nd curtain sync and extended hyper sync in wireless ETTL protocol
* reasonably priced new lenses for me: EF 100-400/4.0-5.6, EF 14-24/2.8, EF 50/1.4 Mk. II, EF-S 50-150/2.8 IS
* 3 EV more DR on all EOS bodies
* perfectly functioning Eye Control AF v. 2.0 on all EOS cameras
* mirrorless full frame camera with state of the art 4k EVF and really fast and precise AF
* no more half-assed HD-video-DLSRs ... make 'em buy real video cams

go Canon, go!

tomusan

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »

1. I use lens caps front and back on all the lenses in my bag....as does every other pro I know.
2. I'm not an amateur (note spelling). I've been a professional photographer for over 30 years.
4. I don't typically use filters, but depend on the hood to keep the lens from getting scratched or damaged in use.
5. Disclaimer: I've got an old 24-70 L assembled on a 7D kept in a fast bag with just the hood and no cap, but that's mainly because I lost the cap and have just been too lazy to replace it.

In short, seriously, do you really not use lens caps for your lenses? I suppose you leave the camera bodies open, with no body cap, as well? Thrown all together in a plastic grocery bag, maybe?

Thanks for the English lesson! I'll be extra careful next post.
No, seriously not all here are native English speakers! So please try to control yourself...

Anyway, all the working professionals I know put there lens hoods on (plenty of protection), and 'throw' their lenses in their bag when 'changing' (and, yes, usually WiTHOUT cap on the back end!)   Some of us actually see lenses and bodies as tools, i.e. pieces of equipment designed to be used and, if necessary, abused.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »

trojdor

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40:18 PM »

Thanks for the English lesson! I'll be extra careful next post.
No, seriously not all here are native English speakers! So please try to control yourself...

Anyway, all the working professionals I know put there lens hoods on (plenty of protection), and 'throw' their lenses in their bag when 'changing' (and, yes, usually WiTHOUT cap on the back end!)   Some of us actually see lenses and bodies as tools, i.e. pieces of equipment designed to be used and, if necessary, abused.

Control myself? Wow. If sarcasm were an artform, you are truly aspiring to greatness.
On the other hand, if you are not a native English speaker, then I do sincerely apologize for correcting your spelling.

Like you, I also see my gear as tools...my living depends on them. That's why I can't risk damaging them!
I was taught to take care of my tools. You may not have been.

As a professional, I've broken many lenses...and bodies...usually due to my own carelessness. Probably more than you've owned. Most were damaged from dropping, but yes, if you do this long enough, I've damaged front elements on expensive lenses when the lens cap popped off, or I was just lazy and didn't put the cap on.

I've watched a Mamiya RZ67 bounce across a floor. I've seen one of my Hasselblads shatter into thousands of pieces when dropped onto concrete. Twice I've watched two fully loaded Nikons atop tripods fall to the floor in pieces when I tripped over the sync cords. And yes, I've heard the screech as hardware such as a film back scraped across the unprotected front element of lenses.

It has cost me many thousands in repair bills, but I try to learn from my mistakes. If I allow a $3,000 lens to be destroyed on a shoot I charge $3,000 for, my net profit is zero. That's just bad business.

I humbly suggest you learn from my mistakes, otherwise you'll eventually learn it the way I did.
PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:41:59 PM by trojdor »

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »
It would be nice if, one day, someone produced lens-specific caps with the focal length printed on them. Four of my lenses, with identical 58mm caps, would be hard to tell apart in my camera bag were it not for the white stickers I've put on the caps, on which I've written the focal length.

BlackRapid does make some nice REAR caps for some of the more common focal ranges, I think they look pretty slick.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=lensbling&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »