August 30, 2014, 08:28:01 AM

Author Topic: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!  (Read 28826 times)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Announces New Lens Caps!
« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »
I feel like I'm the only person who has never had a problem with the Canon lens caps. Even when putting them on something like a 70-200 F/2.8 with the hood mounted, I've never had a problem doing so.
I have a tamron lens, and I do use the pinch feature of the lens cap  but that sometimes results in the cap slipping out of my fingers and hitting the front element...

Hmm, I guess I'm just weird.
I have not had a problem either... So I guess we're both weird :)
Not a problem either. Canon is full of BS lately...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: November 08, 2012, 10:03:00 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2012, 10:14:41 PM »
I feel like I'm the only person who has never had a problem with the Canon lens caps. Even when putting them on something like a 70-200 F/2.8 with the hood mounted, I've never had a problem doing so.
I have a tamron lens, and I do use the pinch feature of the lens cap  but that sometimes results in the cap slipping out of my fingers and hitting the front element...

I've never had any complaints about the current caps, but the new design looks to be more user friendly, but actual use will be the only way to determine what's better.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

symmar22

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2012, 06:21:13 AM »
I can't say I have a problem either, but for having used Nikon caps as well, this "new" design is interesting since it allows to put caps easily on lenses that have a long / narrow hood. It's not a revolution, but still much more practical. On these narrow lenses, if you want to have the cap on, the hood must be reversed.

It's IMO quite a bit more practical, if the price is not insane, I'll probably start a replacement campaign soon...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
Canon releases the EOS M. It gets 3-4 pages of conversation.

Canon releases new lens caps. Almost 10 pages of controversy.

Whaaaaaaaat?!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »
I can't say I have a problem either, but for having used Nikon caps as well, this "new" design is interesting since it allows to put caps easily on lenses that have a long / narrow hood. It's not a revolution, but still much more practical. On these narrow lenses, if you want to have the cap on, the hood must be reversed.

It's IMO quite a bit more practical, if the price is not insane, I'll probably start a replacement campaign soon...
Most of my lenses have a petal type hood. On these lenses there is no problem with existing caps. To tell the truth I have some narrow and rather long hoods (135mm 70-200 f/4L IS) but I have never used them up to now. My more frequently used hoods are on the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35mm 1.4L, 24-105 f/4L, 16-35 f/2.8L , TS-E 24mm and Zeiss 21mm f/2.8

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »

Whaaaaaaaat?!
They are their latest and greatest product  ;D

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
Canon releases the EOS M. It gets 3-4 pages of conversation. Canon releases new lens caps. Almost 10 pages of controversy. Whaaaaaaaat?!

No surprise, but rather fully rational. We pretty unanimously agree, that the EOS-M is definitely  NOT worth our while.

The new lens caps however are way more functional than the old ones. Even when some of us do not see the benefit for themselves or don't care. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2012, 09:09:29 AM »

I've never had any complaints about the current caps, but the new design looks to be more user friendly, but actual use will be the only way to determine what's better.

Just think the sales Canon will make - even if only a fraction of photographer's replace caps to have the latest style.  Plus the new caps are higher price (higher profit - $7.95 for old 52mm cap vs $9.95 for new cap at B&H).  After Canon's profits feel below a $1Billion last quarter, perhaps new caps will add to the bottom line  ;D

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:23 AM »

Whaaaaaaaat?!
They are their latest and greatest product  ;D
Oh yes! Besides when you shoot with the cap on, you get darker blacks than with the Nikon cameras with Sony sensors and Nikon caps. I think the Nikon think tank is flummoxed by this surprising and brilliant Canon strategy! They are wondering what Canon will come up with next!
 ;)

joshmurrah

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »
This has been an interesting (and humorous at times) thread!

I'm going to weigh in... I do *not* like the pinch-type caps, I have some experience with the Tamron caps, and they were finicky, and I hit inside the filter threads all the time.  I find the Canon caps more intuitive, because you're pretty much "fingering" the filter thread area when you put the Canon type cap on, whereas you're blindly aiming the Tamron pinch-type cap.

Also, I wanted to ask... why are folks putting caps on their lenses, with the hoods not reversed?  What's the point?  I can certainly see the desire to either a) leave the hood on, skip the cap or b) reverse hood, put cap on, but why have the hood + cap installed?  Are you worried about dust with the hood on?  If so, then why aren't you worried about covering the felt inner surface of the hood with dust while it's not reversed?

Discuss!
gripped 5DIII, 70-200 f/2.8L II, 24-70 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 8-15 f/4L, 50 f/1.2L, 85 f/1.2L II, 2x III, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »

I'm going to weigh in... I do *not* like the pinch-type caps, I have some experience with the Tamron caps, and they were finicky, and I hit inside the filter threads all the time.  I find the Canon caps more intuitive, because you're pretty much "fingering" the filter thread area when you put the Canon type cap on, whereas you're blindly aiming the Tamron pinch-type cap.

Also, I wanted to ask... why are folks putting caps on their lenses, with the hoods not reversed?  What's the point?  I can certainly see the desire to either a) leave the hood on, skip the cap or b) reverse hood, put cap on, but why have the hood + cap installed?  Are you worried about dust with the hood on?  If so, then why aren't you worried about covering the felt inner surface of the hood with dust while it's not reversed?

Discuss!

I reverse the lens hood and place the cap on solely for storage purposes. I don't worry about caps when shooting because thats what hoods + UV filters are for.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2012, 11:11:29 AM »

Discuss!

For quick lens changes.  If I have room in the bag, I sometimes leave the hood in the forward position when in a rush if it fits.  However, most of the time, the issue is with UWA lenses.  Those hoods afford little to no protection, especially when the front element is bulbous.

crasher8

« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
9 pages and counting!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »
9 pages and counting!
Naturally! This is a killer product ;)

symmar22

« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »
For quick lens changes.  If I have room in the bag, I sometimes leave the hood in the forward position when in a rush if it fits.  However, most of the time, the issue is with UWA lenses.  Those hoods afford little to no protection, especially when the front element is bulbous.

Same here, I leave the hood forward when lenses are in the bag (when they fit) and use no filter. I simply find it more convenient than to reverse the hood every time. Here pinch caps are IMO easier to deal with (I'm mainly thinking about the 85mm 1.8 and the  90mm TS-E). While I work , I don't put any cap back (except on the 15mm fisheye), but when I pack, I don't reverse the hood, so pinch cap are a bit more comfortable in my case.

Everyone has its gimmicks when he works..... ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2012, 11:35:46 AM »