Rumors > Lenses

24-70/4 MFT charts

<< < (2/11) > >>

candyman:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on November 06, 2012, 06:39:09 AM ---Weddings?  With ISO 6400 or higher delivering good results on new bodies, f/4 isn't the handicap it was, plus sometimes f/2.8 is a compromise between enough light and not enough DoF.  Near macro for ring/flower shots.

I still don't see it as a popular lens, though, with the 24-105mm still available as a kit lens.

--- End quote ---

I can't imagine the 24-70 f/4 being the kit-lens for the 6D - form price point of view (even if the price will drop a little) I can see however the 24-105 as kit-lens. Also because it will offer the entry FF market a real walkaround from focal length point of view and having no telezoom

SJTstudios:
The 24-70 f4 IS is canons IPAD MINI, they are targeting a specific crowd, amateurs. People who buy the 24-105 buy it for the is rather than the straight reach, and all the amateurs buying a 6d probably are wannabes portrait shooters, so they go for a 24-70, its a cheaper alternative for a 24-70, not a 24-105 replacement, canon isn't expecting everyone to love it.

WildEye:
I just do not understand the pricing.

In Norway a large photography store has listed the lens for 12690,- NOK (exchange rate about ~2300 USD) while the 24-105F4 sells for 8499,- (about ~1500 USD)

The step up to the F2.8 version is not that large. Would have thought that this lens would be a little bit cheaper, if it is supposed to be a kit lens.

Regards,
Espen

robbymack:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on November 06, 2012, 06:39:09 AM ---Weddings?  With ISO 6400 or higher delivering good results on new bodies, f/4 isn't the handicap it was, plus sometimes f/2.8 is a compromise between enough light and not enough DoF. 

--- End quote ---

True and I tend to subscribe to the camp that f2.8 isn't fast enough to stop most action in low light although the 5diii is making me reconsider.  I doubt however many pro wedding togs would take this over the f2.8ii or the 24-105 unless they have a quiver of fast primes and a bunch of bodies to mount them on.

sagittariansrock:

--- Quote from: SJTstudios on November 06, 2012, 12:05:07 PM ---The 24-70 f4 IS is canons IPAD MINI, they are targeting a specific crowd, amateurs. People who buy the 24-105 buy it for the is rather than the straight reach, and all the amateurs buying a 6d probably are wannabes portrait shooters, so they go for a 24-70, its a cheaper alternative for a 24-70, not a 24-105 replacement, canon isn't expecting everyone to love it.

--- End quote ---

I failed to understand your logic here: I am sure many amateurs buy it for the reach so they don't have to invest in another lens (105 is sufficient tele for many people). And 24-105 is a great portrait lens both on APS-C and FF, so I am not sure what all these 'amateurs' would have missed out if the 6D was shipped with a 24-105.

On the other hand, it makes sense that the 24-70 is targeted towards people who want to shoot macro, or weddings if the IQ is comparable to 24-70 at equivalent apertures (talking real-world, not MFTs). Would be interesting to see how it compares with the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC though...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version