July 31, 2014, 02:04:40 AM

Author Topic: Trade off? Canon ext battery pack vs. knock-offs w/8 AA rechargeables?  (Read 969 times)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
I am going to get at least one external battery pack for a few Canon 550's I am putting together as a location kit. ...for events where one unit will be needed for especially fast recycling. Perhaps in the future multiple slaved units would be sped up with such battery packs.

Canon's pack has one big recharged battery and a dedicated charger, it appears. So declining health of that core component affects the usefulness of the whole unit. If AA's weaken I replace just the little battery which has aged. OTOH, I expect that the engineering in the Canon is good.

Thoughts? Experience?

jonathan7007

canon rumors FORUM

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Trade off? Canon ext battery pack vs. knock-offs w/8 AA rechargeables?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 01:26:40 PM »
Do not use the packs with AA's, trust me, you'll go nuts from all the charging, unless you have a 15 min charger that accepts 12 batterie. at a time... i've used those cpe3 packs for two flashes and that's 24batteries you need to charge every time you want to use them.

I bought the GoDox pb520 or something like that, build in battery you can just plug into to the mains and charge it, lighter and I get at least 400 shots at near full power. They are really great and not that expensive. Set the recycle function on your flash to only use external power to recycle, that way your in flash AA's lasts way longer...

1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Richard8971

• 7D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »
OK, so I have enough AA chargers and I have enough AA's to make it worth the investment. (I own dozens of NiMh AA's) I have been using rechargeable AA's for years and there are always enough charged and ready to go at any given time. I keep two boxes, one marked "charged" and one "discharged". Costco here sells bulk packs of Sanyo Eneloop batteries cheap. :)

So, are the packs worth it? I am not talking about the "time" spent recharging batteries as it really isn't an issue to me. It takes only a few seconds to pop 4-8 AA's in the charger(s) before I head to bed, if I so happen to have any in my "discharged" box that need refreshing.

I am refering to the "bulk" of the AA's power vs that of the sealed packs.

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 12:04:12 AM »