December 18, 2014, 07:39:48 PM

Author Topic: Off-camera flash for 5D3  (Read 5456 times)

bobbysamat

Re: Off-camera flash for 5D3
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
depending on how serious of a lighting setup you're looking for, i would looks at it two ways.  one, you go with speedlights.  two, you go with monolights.

if you want a dependable light to use on occasion that will get the job done, speedlights are a good choice.  they're fairly easy to learn and you will wind up finding a ton of instances where a single undiffused light will give you some really nice results.  they're super portable and you can find AA batteries anywhere. 

monolights are a good choice if you plan on using artificial light on a more regular basis.  monolights also open up a new world of optional light diffusers.  soft boxes, beauty dishes, snoots, reflectors, grids and so on.  and while there are definitely ways to also use all these diffusers with speedlights, if you plan on using anything beyond an umbrella, i would suggest going with monolights.  they're generally going to be much sturdier, making them able to hold heavier light modifiers.

i have two paul c buff 640w einsteins.  they're very easy to use, are completely digital, and cost a little more than a canon 580ex.  they also make very inexpensive lights that produce the same light that really expensive ones do.  most people aren't going to need 640w's.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:22:43 PM »
Another vote for YN-622c's. I just picked up four of them and did some really quick tests and they work fantastic with my 5d3 and 2 x 580EXII's. They only work with the more modern Canon flashes and cameras so check compatibility before purchasing.

The nice thing is, you control everything right from the back of your camera. Another nice feature I discovered is you can manually override things like flash zoom so they don`t keep changing if that is what you want.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 12:50:08 AM »
Yongnuo YN-622C transceivers: $90 per pair, complete functionality, perfect operation. Why pay more?
I confirmed they do exactly whatever PW's Flex/Min can. ^_^
That sounds GREAT! When you say they can do exactly what the PW Flex/Mini can do, does that include the brilliant Optimized High Speed Sync http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/fp_sync_hss/

Quoting from the PW website, "HSS is a battery hog as it needs a lot of power to pulse the light.  Through extensive experimentation, we found a way to reduce the total power used while giving you more power, and thus more light, when you need it. This means more light (which equals greater working distance), faster recycling times and more flashes per battery set when shooting in Canon's HSS/FP Flash mode."

If it does this Yongnuo will win a LOT of new business. I'm first in line...

-PW

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »
Yongnuo YN-622C transceivers: $90 per pair, complete functionality, perfect operation. Why pay more?
I confirmed they do exactly whatever PW's Flex/Min can. ^_^
That sounds GREAT! When you say they can do exactly what the PW Flex/Mini can do, does that include the brilliant Optimized High Speed Sync http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/technology/fp_sync_hss/

Quoting from the PW website, "HSS is a battery hog as it needs a lot of power to pulse the light.  Through extensive experimentation, we found a way to reduce the total power used while giving you more power, and thus more light, when you need it. This means more light (which equals greater working distance), faster recycling times and more flashes per battery set when shooting in Canon's HSS/FP Flash mode."

If it does this Yongnuo will win a LOT of new business. I'm first in line...

-PW
I believe, The 622c`s implement standard Canon wireless HSS, I doubt PW can give more power while using less battery but I suppose it is possible. Most of these radio systems just interpret and re-transmit the Canon optical/IR signals, I didn't think PW was any different.

Here is a pretty extensive review/discussion on the 622c's:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157631348234978/

For the money I can overlook the limitations of the 622c's. The exciting thing is there are a number of great systems out there now and more to come.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:10:07 AM by Jamesy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 05:57:54 AM »