August 02, 2014, 04:08:37 AM

Author Topic: Amazon policies.  (Read 7730 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon policies.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
This is a bit shady, but you can buy it today giving an address but a card that will probably decline because of not having enough funds.  They will then take about 3 days to notice and then tell you to give a good card in 3 days and then rinse and repeat and you can buy yourself sometime that way.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
fwiw, i've been ordering on amazon for the last 4 years and shipping stuff to India (agreed not higher priced products). No issues so far and their packaging / delivery has been amaz(on)ing!

5D MkIII

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
Check out www.reship.com

I use this service all the time to get tough to find items to Canada from the United States.

You can also sign up for reship with a US address, they will warehouse your package for up to 90 days free prior to mailing it.  You could have them mail it to you, or to your friend.

Amazon.com has no problem with my Canadian billing address on my Credit Card, and my Oregon shipping address @ reship.

Brian
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 12:48:35 AM »
This is a bit shady, but you can buy it today giving an address but a card that will probably decline because of not having enough funds.  They will then take about 3 days to notice and then tell you to give a good card in 3 days and then rinse and repeat and you can buy yourself sometime that way.

Ah! But my card WILL work as the billing address will be correct. :)

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 12:49:28 AM »
Check out www.reship.com

I use this service all the time to get tough to find items to Canada from the United States.

You can also sign up for reship with a US address, they will warehouse your package for up to 90 days free prior to mailing it.  You could have them mail it to you, or to your friend.

Amazon.com has no problem with my Canadian billing address on my Credit Card, and my Oregon shipping address @ reship.

Brian

Thank you!

canon_convert

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »
well, I am surprised that it took you so long to understand that online retailers do not offer such options. btw, why not buy in India itself ...?? with all the duties and tax that you'll have to pay this would likely cost you much more... I remember someone on this forum mentioned that he was able to source it locally
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:08:18 AM by canon_convert »
5D MkIII, 24-05, 50mm 1.4

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 02:17:17 AM »
Its not listed with Canon India yet. And YES if would be almost 1.5 times the cost here.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2012, 02:17:17 AM »

iris chrome

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2012, 02:20:00 AM »
I thought Amazon has a large warehouse but I think it is only virtual.

Forget a bit about the possibility of fraud and all that. Once Amazon sells any product they will want to get it out of their warehouse and shipped ASAP. This is because they're basically losing money on their inventory space. Space that could be cleared out and have new inventory come in to replace it and be sold in turn. You'll probably say that you're only one person or they could spare a bit of their space to accomodate their customers. But in reality they can't. The whole business of Amazon is built on the principle that it is a warehouse that depends on clearing its inventory in record times so as to accomodate the newest products and continue the cycle again.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »

Ah! But my card WILL work as the billing address will be correct. :)

Ok, if the card is good and will charge...then why on earth would you not already know who/where you're going to ship it to?

I've never heard of such a thing as someone wanting to buy something, and have it held till you can "come up with somewhere to ship it"...?

Aside from sounding fishy....I would never imagined someone wanting to do such a thing...doesn't make sense...?

:o

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
I'll explain.
I want to buy it now while it is still in stock.
BUT I do not know who will visit India next from USA who I know.
SO I thought I will buy it now and when I know someone is coming, I will get it shipped to that person.
Make sense now? :)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »
I'll explain.
I want to buy it now while it is still in stock.
BUT I do not know who will visit India next from USA who I know.
SO I thought I will buy it now and when I know someone is coming, I will get it shipped to that person.
Make sense now? :)

I guess your reasoning makes sense....I've never dealt with someone trying to buy something in the US, and get it ferried to another country.

But, while I can see your reasoning, I couldn't imagine any retailer....especially online ones, doing such a thing.  They can't afford to put someone in charge of keeping track of your item, sitting it on a shelf somewhere, tracking it...etc.

That's just not something any system for normal retail would be set up for...

A small, mom and pop store...everything done manually, etc....might could do it, but certainly no system that is built for efficiency or online ordering (Walmart or Amazon for example).

Why are you afraid they'll be out of stock when you are ready to ship it? Not sure why you feel you have to buy it now....why not just buy it when you have someone to ship it too.

It isn't like Canon gear is a rare thing that goes out of stock and stays out of stock for more than a day at a time....? (Exception being something just released, but even then, after the initial rush, it will be a commodity like all other products).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:49 AM »
(Exception being something just released, but even then, after the initial rush, it will be a commodity like all other products).

The 600 II that the OP is looking at falls into that category, though.  They're rare enough that availability is posted as a news item on CR and TDP, and they are still selling out pretty fast.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
:)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »

canon_convert

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 03:02:10 PM »
Its not listed with Canon India yet. And YES if would be almost 1.5 times the cost here.

Not sure how this guy got it .... http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8439.msg182063#msg182063

Perhaps you should IM him to check
5D MkIII, 24-05, 50mm 1.4

PackLight

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »
I wanted to order the 600 at Amazon and give them a shipping address later. Am attaching the online chat. Am not satisfied.

Me:Hello!
I want to buy a lens: Canon 600mm II right now. BUT I want you to hold on to it and ship it later when I send you an address. Is that acceptable?
Saket :Hello, my name is Saket. I'll be happy to help you today.
Me:Namashkar
Saket :I am really sorry It will not be acceptable but You can place the order and You will not face any problem
Me:How can I place an order without a shipping address? Thx
Saket :I am sorry but You can use any friend address to place the Order as the deals and the price which is reflected on the site are subjected to change '
so I am not able to do promise for that
Me:Ah. See I am ready to buy it now. Pay for it in full. And then later give you an address to send it to.
Saket :SANJAY ,How can be this possible when you place the order It goes for shipping and the item for which you place goes for packing and then it goes for delivery
so It will not be possible to hold the package
Me:Ok thanks...

Sounds to me like you wanted to pay with a money order and you might be buying it for your cousin in Saudi Arabia. If I were the retailer the whole senario you proposed sounded fishy and like a scam.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:12:39 PM by PackLight »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »