Gear Talk > Lighting

Elinchrom Ranger Quadra

(1/4) > >>

mirekti:

I plan on buying the set. Is anybody using these strobes?
Is the difference between A and S only in shutter speed or there is something else hidden behind A and S?

What softboxes would you recommend for it? I plan on buying one octa, one square.
Would you go with Elichrom softboxes or there are some 3rd party that are good enough and cheaper?

sublime LightWorks:

--- Quote from: mirekti on November 06, 2012, 02:01:56 PM ---
I plan on buying the set. Is anybody using these strobes?
Is the difference between A and S only in shutter speed or there is something else hidden behind A and S?

What softboxes would you recommend for it? I plan on buying one octa, one square.
Would you go with Elichrom softboxes or there are some 3rd party that are good enough and cheaper?

--- End quote ---

Have 3 packs and 4 heads.  Love them.

It's not shutter speed, its flash duration that is the difference.  But under conditions where you are eliminating the ambient light, the flash duration becomes your effective shutter speed.

Note that people have been doing high-speed sync using the PocketWizard TTLFlex units but you have success with the slower duration S-heads (due to the longer duration flash).  Do a google for Ranger Quadra's high speed sync.

Couple of things to note on this units:

1) the ports on the pack are asymmetrical, at a 2:1 ratio.  Port A alone is 100% of the pack, Port B alone is 33% of the pack, A+B used together is 67%:33%, or the above mentioned 2:1. 

2) you can alter the ratio of the pack when using both ports by using different cable lengths.  The output is standardized and measured against the 8ft cables.  Longer cables reduce the power delivered to the head.  So using a longer cable on port B can make your ratio 3:1 for example.

3) Pack range is good on the Skyports, no issue with them

4) They have new lithium batteries for purchase now, they weigh 2lbs less and hold double the charge, but you need a different charger that comes with the Lithium battery.

5) heads are very light, about 8oz, you hardly need to counter-weight them and a modifer when using a c-stand.

6) Get the adapters for the heads to attach all the standard modifiers.  The head only attaches to certain modifiers, you need the adapter to attach the heads to the Rotalux softboxes.  DO NOT try to put the biggest modifier on these heads/adapters, they will not handle the weight.  Instead get some brackets from Kacey Industries to mount these on the big modifiers.  The weight of the modifiers (like the big octa's) will bend and break the adapter. 

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=679

7) being so light, you can easily put them on an extendable paint-pole with a 27" softbox or deep-octa, sling the pack over an assistants shoulder and you have a full blown walking light stand, indoors or out.

-Bob

Viggo:
Thanks, I am to thinking of better light than speedlites.

I'm back and forth between the quadra and Profoto Acute B2 600 air s, I only want one light and I want reliability power and light weight.

If you shoot full power on one channel with the quadra, is that 400ws? If that is f8 what would two 580 speelites be?

mirekti:
Thanks a lot. This is a good point to start from. Still many things to diggest from it.
Could you send me some links for softbox and adapter you would use on it. I plan on buying some bigger octa and maybe 24" square. What kind of softboxes would you combine with it?
I thought of an umbrella, but umbrella could be used only in studio as any wind would really messed with it.

I plan on buying YN-622c so I can use them with YN flashes and Quadra. I hope this will work.
I belive I won't be able to set the power remotely on Quadra with YN-622c, but I'll be able to trigger them via PC sync, right?

Can somebody explain me benefits of using S over A head? Given the price S should be better...

kennykodak:
i have one pack with two heads and plan to add another.  i love this thing... i have the 1100 ws ranger as well but the Quadra is my pick people photography.  i have been replacing electric monos with battery units for energy conservation as well.  commercial electricity isn't cheap and a number of power packs recycling at the same time makes the electric meter spin.  remember that Elinchrom umbrella shafts are 7mm and the generics are't going to fit.  i have a Lastolite 24 soft box and a Elinchrom 33" translucent umbrella that do a super job with the Quadra.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version