I plan on buying the set. Is anybody using these strobes?
Is the difference between A and S only in shutter speed or there is something else hidden behind A and S?
What softboxes would you recommend for it? I plan on buying one octa, one square.
Would you go with Elichrom softboxes or there are some 3rd party that are good enough and cheaper?
Have 3 packs and 4 heads. Love them.
It's not shutter speed, its flash duration that is the difference. But under conditions where you are eliminating the ambient light, the flash duration becomes your effective shutter speed.
Note that people have been doing high-speed sync using the PocketWizard TTLFlex units but you have success with the slower duration S-heads (due to the longer duration flash). Do a google for Ranger Quadra's high speed sync.
Couple of things to note on this units:
1) the ports on the pack are asymmetrical, at a 2:1 ratio. Port A alone is 100% of the pack, Port B alone is 33% of the pack, A+B used together is 67%:33%, or the above mentioned 2:1.
2) you can alter the ratio of the pack when using both ports by using different cable lengths. The output is standardized and measured against the 8ft cables. Longer cables reduce the power delivered to the head. So using a longer cable on port B can make your ratio 3:1 for example.
3) Pack range is good on the Skyports, no issue with them
4) They have new lithium batteries for purchase now, they weigh 2lbs less and hold double the charge, but you need a different charger that comes with the Lithium battery.
5) heads are very light, about 8oz, you hardly need to counter-weight them and a modifer when using a c-stand.
6) Get the adapters for the heads to attach all the standard modifiers. The head only attaches to certain modifiers, you need the adapter to attach the heads to the Rotalux softboxes. DO NOT try to put the biggest modifier on these heads/adapters, they will not handle the weight. Instead get some brackets from Kacey Industries to mount these on the big modifiers. The weight of the modifiers (like the big octa's) will bend and break the adapter. http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=679
7) being so light, you can easily put them on an extendable paint-pole with a 27" softbox or deep-octa, sling the pack over an assistants shoulder and you have a full blown walking light stand, indoors or out.